IGNORED

Beauty and the Beast

atari2600land

I'm working on porting the Intellivision game "Beauty and the Beast" to the Atari 2600. What got me inspired was the Intellivision HSC, and after playing, I thought, I bet this could be ported to the 2600! What really made me decide to do it is thinking it would be really nice to have an actual joystick instead of a disc one. So here's what I have so far. The difference is you climb the building itself, not the open windows (climbing windows seems kind of silly to me.) Fire is jump, and the direction pads move the little guy. There's only one screen so far, though. Next up is adding in the beast and enemies. By the way, I'll probably have to change the title since the Disney movie came out.

beautyandbeast030910.bas.bin

beautyandbeast030910.bas

I'm working on porting the Intellivision game "Beauty and the Beast" to the Atari 2600. What got me inspired was the Intellivision HSC, and after playing, I thought, I bet this could be ported to the 2600! What really made me decide to do it is thinking it would be really nice to have an actual joystick instead of a disc one. So here's what I have so far. The difference is you climb the building itself, not the open windows (climbing windows seems kind of silly to me.) Fire is jump, and the direction pads move the little guy. There's only one screen so far, though. Next up is adding in the beast and enemies. By the way, I'll probably have to change the title since the Disney movie came out.

I loved that game on my old INTV. I would think the windows would be an important part of the game, as you could only climp up to the next level using an open window in the original. Opening and closing windows would be easy to do with playfield animation, although it's tough to make that work and not use up too many cycles. You'd definitely have to use flicker to get all the original objects on the screen with the standard kernel (at least six I can think of): The beast, the player, two rolling obstacles, the heart, and the bird that flies across each level. Of course, using the multisprite kernel could be an option with this game since the building graphic could be reflected.

It's a good idea, I hope you continue with it. Here's a video of the original, for those that are curious:

Here's a sample of what I was talking about using the standard kernel with pfheights and pfcolors turned on. Move your guy over to the second window from the left on the bottom. When the window closes, you can climb up by pushing up. when the window is open, you can't climb up.

This is just a proof of concept, I don't know how well this would work in a finished game. Feel free to use this if you want it.

Steve

post-2143-126816679763_thumb.jpg

beast.bin

beast.txt

OK, closed windows are climbable now, whereas open windows and the building isn't. Also, jumping is a bit weird to hide the fact that player1 is the window and if player0 (Buford) and player1 are on the same scanline, player1 will move two spaces to the right for some reason.

beautyandbeast030910a.bas.bin

beautyandbeast030910a.bas

I worked on this non-stop all night long. Here's the latest as of 1am:

*changed brick color

*added an enemy as well as hit detection

*once you get to the top left hand corner, there's a new level. I can't add an ogre because the windows would flicker.

beautyandbeast031010.bas.bin

beautyandbeast031010.bas

I worked on this non-stop all night long. Here's the latest as of 1am:

*changed brick color

*added an enemy as well as hit detection

*once you get to the top left hand corner, there's a new level. I can't add an ogre because the windows would flicker.

Nice Job. I'd suggest having the enemy sprite fall from the screen a little slower, and maybe start a little farther to the left. It's pretty hard to anticipate your jump when you're on the left side of the screen, you don't have much time to react.

Steve

Changed the code for pressing up. I doubt it impacted play, but just thought I'd tell you. Also, the mouse is moved more towards the left (it's a mouse), I changed it to actually look like a mouse, and this mouse is gray, so the building is back to being brown. Also added a title screen (with no title yet). You get one point per floor you complete.

beautyandbeast031010b.bas.bin

beautyandbeast031010b.bas

I tried the latest version 031010. I actually don't know what to do. I get no points. I usually climb up to the top and that's about it. Sometimes I will fall. Most of the time fall and die.

You have a bug if you go up off the screen. Eventually uour guy will appear at the bottom and he will be all garbled characters. I think I see two dice, a key, and a hat.

• 1 month later...

OK, I'm back working on this. I started from scratch and got something working (sort of) without the multisprite kernel. You can't jump yet, but I will add this ability (if I can figure out how.)

Good start. This game will definitely be challenging using the standard kernel since there are so many sprites you'd need to use to match the original game. IMO, you should really use the pfcolors option and make the ledges of the building a different color (like in my example I posted earlier). It's a "free" kernel option that won't cost you anything, you still get full use of both missiles, and it will look a whole lot better. This is one of my favorite INTV games, I'd be happy to help a little on this one if you'd like.

Steve

In this latest version, I've changed it back to one color playfields because in order for more than one building to work, I have to because using pfcolors and pfheight together only gives you one fixed height and colors for the entire game. I've also added a title screen.

default.bas

default.bas.bin

• 1 month later...
  • 4 months later...
  • 10 months later...

Argh! It's rising from the dead! All I have is the title screen so far with a plane going by periodically. I tried to do a Doppler effect, but IMO it isn't very good. The sound volume is supposed to peak when it's at the center of the screen then fade. Tell me what you think.

beautyandthebeast083111.bas.bin

It does get louder when it is in the center and it fades as it is moving to the right. Nice! I like it.

I am not sure if the 2600 can do a true doppler effect... do you think it can?

I have to get my intellivision out of storage and hook it up to my TV. I have Beauty and the Beast and Demon Attack for INTV.

I even bought some of the sticklers.... the attachments that go on the discs so they resemble atari 2600 style joysticks.

I am glad you are working on this again!

Tim

Argh! It's rising from the dead! All I have is the title screen so far with a plane going by periodically. I tried to do a Doppler effect, but IMO it isn't very good. The sound volume is supposed to peak when it's at the center of the screen then fade. Tell me what you think.

Edited by timdu