IGNORED

What's the best PSP for custom firmware?

Osbo

I had a PSP, but I sold it when I was in Iraq. Now, I would like to get another one, but I want to install the custom firmware so I can play emulators on it. Which one is the best model to get? Does anybody sells them with the custom firmware on it already? I don't care much for the PSP games (I mostly played Lumines on my old one)

Thanks!

You can install "permanent" CFW on 1000s and early 2000s. You can only install "temporary" CFW on newer 2000s and 3000s. The 2000 has several advantages over the 1000 so it's worth the trouble to find one.

You can find a guide online that tells you how to tell the 2000s apart based on date codes on a sticker in the battery compartment. This is a subtle difference, so it's a crap shoot to find the right one unless the seller discloses this information. The silver "Daxter" edition and the red "God of War" models ARE good for installing the permanent CFW. Some of the blue "Madden" models are, some aren't. With the black ones you really have to check the date code.

I second the suggestion to check CL for a pre-modded one; just don't get ripped off. CFW doesn't make it worth another $50 to $75 because you can do it yourself for free if you can follow directions. And if it doesn't come with the CFW you like, it's easy to install another kind once it has any type of CFW.

Get the oldest silver PSP-2000 you can find, or get a Star Wars or FFVII unit. Those will be the oldest PSP-2000 units. The should be capable of writing to the battery's EEPROM, thus making a JigKick battery if you need one. Some of the silver units cannot write to the battery, however, if you have access to a PSP that is already modded you can use that to mod phat and slim batteries alike (even the PSP-1000 can mod the slim batteries).

You could probably check the firmware before you buy. If you're buying a silver unit, I definitely would check it because I've read that even some of the silver units can't have custom firmware permanently installed.

If you don't want to take the risk, get any PSP-1000 you can find that still works. Installing everything with custom firmware is a little more difficult, but you won't have to worry about getting one you can't install custom firmware to.

Thanks for the reply! I'm gonna see if I can find a silver PSP. I know my local walmart has some PSPs in stock, but if I'm gonna be messing with it, I rather get a used one, you know what I mean?

Anything Walmart or any other retailer has in stock now will be a 3000 or (maaaayyybeeee) a newer 2000, neither of which you really want.

The rest of my message is redundant but I did the research for my own personal edification and I'll share it.

If you want a 2000 that takes "permanent" custom firmware look for:

Silver "Daxter" model (not the silver "Ratchet & Clank" model)

Red God of War model

White Star Wars model

Maybe some of the blue Madden or yellow Simpsons models

Some regular black models

This link tells you what's what: http://www.pspmod.com/forums/psp-misc-guides/46245-how-determine-whether-not-your-psp-hackable.html

The "scene" changes fast. In the olden-but-not-THAT-olden days, if you have a Pandora battery, it's very straightforward and reliable to install CFW on a PSP that supports the Pandora, which would be the 1000 and the certain 2000s listed above. This is a Pandora guide: http://www.pspmod.com/forums/psp-software-guides/45253-how-install-psp-custom-firmware.html If you can't make your own Pandora battery you can find them online cheap.

The "ChickHEN" exploit works on all PSP 1000, 2000, 3000 with OFW 5.03. With it you can temporarily load CFW, and for the 1000s and certain 2000s (again) you can permanently install CFW. See

http://forums.qj.net/guides-psp-hacks-homebrew-emulators/153117-guide-installing-cfw-via-chickhen-psp-1k-2k-3k-all-motherboards.html

Edited by monzamess

Thanks again! I went to a couple of local pawn shops, but no dice! I found a silver one locally that already has the custom firmware, but the guy lives about 2 hours from my house.

I'll keep my eyes open. As for the firmware, I just want to play NES and MAME on the go, that's about all I know right now :D

Gus

I've been meaning to try this. I have a Daxter PSP so it should be hackable. I just haven't had the time to fuss with it.

Tempest

IMO, PSP hacking is far easier than PS2 hacking. The PS2 has kinda owned me for hacking, but every time I've hacked a PSP it has been easier done than said.