IGNORED

Noob Question - What do you do with your carts?

Charles Nilsen

Hi everyone!

I've been lurking here for quite a while, and just finally started collecting 2600 stuff after having been in to vintage PC stuff for several years. I'm curious, for those who collect cartridges out of the box, how do you store / display them? I remember back in the day they had plastic/wood racks, but seems like those would be dust magnets?

I'd be interested in Pics if you're feeling particularly spunky! :-)

I used to keep all my 2600 games locked up in Rubbermaid containers. After they got about a 4 foot stack, I decided that was ridiculous, so I put them in one of those CD/Media storage shelves. I stack 6 games on top of each other horizontally and it fills the entire shelving. Nice because they're displayable, easy to access and not stacked so high that you have to worry too much about alphabetizing (I no longer separate my games by manufacturer). They're all lumped in - but alphabetically by title, for the most part.

post-13896-126823314893_thumb.jpg

Edited by save2600

for those who collect cartridges out of the box

Blasphemy! Naked carts!

For loose carts, I like the cart holders that have a flip top lid. The rows are adjustable, so you can size them for 2600, 5200, Intellivision, and so on. The height is tall enough that Commavid carts fit no problem - really on the Xonox double-enders are too tall. On either side of the cart rows, you have space for manuals (or those long Xonox). They are pretty sturdy (so you can stack a couple) and keep the dust off your carts.

post-5874-126823671556_thumb.jpgpost-5874-126823673139_thumb.jpg

I have one of those Atari carts (basically a cabinet with wheels) that has a place for the system on the top with a plastic cover to keep the dust off and a cabinet for the games underneath.

That description isn't familiar to me. Can you post a photo please?

Probably this one or something like it:

http://www.atariage.com/magazines/magazine_page.html?MagazineID=4&CurrentPage=14

Blasphemy! Naked carts!

For loose carts, I like the cart holders that have a flip top lid. The rows are adjustable, so you can size them for 2600, 5200, Intellivision, and so on. The height is tall enough that Commavid carts fit no problem - really on the Xonox double-enders are too tall. On either side of the cart rows, you have space for manuals (or those long Xonox). They are pretty sturdy (so you can stack a couple) and keep the dust off your carts.

Since when do you collect loose carts? :D

I like save2600's system because they're on display. That's cool.

Unfortunately, all my games are at my parents' house in California as I didn't have room for them when I moved. They are alphabetized in little boxes in a metal rolling cabinet which is low so it can work as a TV stand. The cabinet also has the consoles, paddles, joysticks, some boxes, etc. The manuals I store in a small alphabetized accordion file. Once I have my collection with me again, I'd like to store them like save2600 does, so I can see them everyday.

Mine are in nine stacks of roughly 30-40 titles each on a shelf. Since they're organized by manufacturer, several groups of carts are locked together with the tabs provided. To get them down, I lift out 5 or 6 carts at a time from a stack, but I usually won't re stack them the same way they were. That way I don't have to constantly stack and unstack games just to play the same one over and over. Sometimes I can slide carts out of the middle of a stack and then slide them back in when I'm done.

My boxed games are on another shelf, and my Starpath tapes are all in an 80's cassette briefcase with faux leather on the outside and this really thin and soft brushy stuff on the inside. I think it's designed to hold 30 cassettes, so it holds the 12 tapes I've got, some computer cassettes, and both Superchargers quite easily.

Blasphemy! Naked carts!

Since when do you collect loose carts? :D

Hey, I need some XONOX boxes like (almost) everybody else!

It depends on how many carts you have to store. I graduated from Rubbermaid containers, to media towers, to bookshelves, to these closets I had built specifically for my loose games...

GR6.jpg

GR8.jpg

:-o

Man! you either have a VERY understanding wife or are a single guy...

Man! you either have a VERY understanding wife or are a single guy...

I'm married :) When we finished our basement last year she agreed to let me dedicate one room to games. Originally I was going to build a wall of shelves but it was her idea to put on the doors and turn them into closets. I have a thread in the Show Us Your Collection forum that shows the whole room if anyone is interested...

CVGAs Gameroom

I keep my main collection in plastic storage cases similar to Genesis cases, but with two carts per case. They're all lined up nice and neat in boxes. I have another bunch that I play a lot distributed over some shelves, in drawers, and a few on various horizontal surfaces all around me. I don't actually collect complete games, but I did keep a bunch of original boxes, but they're broken down and flattened out in another box in a storage unit (a bigger box). Accumulated doubles line themselves up like soldiers in a box for eventual disposition.