IGNORED

The King of Kong

VectorGamer

This is all my honest opinion and not meant to flame anyone. Thank you.

To be fair, though, and while it is your opinion, and I agree with you on face value, realize that your opinion is based on what you were 'meant' to see by the filmmakers. Yes, it's most likely that Billy M is a douche. Yes, Steve W seems like the normal 'everyman'. But part of the problem of making a moving like this is that it can be manipulated, to some degree, to favour a certain viewpoint. Much like a Michael Moore 'documentary', if all you go by is the view that he puts forth, you're really not getting the entire story...if there's even a story to tell.

The way the movie was portrayed, it created a functional story...one that sold, and we talk about. If it was as simple as 'reality', it may not have been so interesting, nor would it have made any money. So we got what we got. While I don't think our judgements are very far off from the truth, we'll never quite know who's 'in the right', so to speak. I'm certainly not making excuses for the behaviour of those certain asshats from the movie, and some are very much the asshat they represent, a certain degree of open-mindedness regarding the 'facts' of the film is required.

I totally understand that. I was just thinking the same thing. I should have followed up with more thoughts from knowledge and experience gained from something outside of King of Kong.

I still find Billy Mitchell to be a most unlikable person based merely on the interviews he gives to all the different outlets.

Robert Mruczek I think quit Twin Galaxies recently, so maybe he's sleeping more. Ironically he was interviewed during a segment in Barcade in Brooklyn, NY, which I've gone to. I never realized it, because the final version of Chasing Ghosts has that interview cut out, as well as the footage of him showing off the ridiculous amount of naked artwork he spent thousands of dollars on. I only saw it on the screener version, which is what is on the torrents around the web. That version also has copyrighted music, which they had to replace in the Showtime version. I cannot understand why they didn't sell a DVD!

I cannot understand why they didn't sell a DVD!

...I'd say because there's no market for it. King of Kong touched on the collective memories of a generation, and had a great story foremost. Chasing Ghosts is a niche film...interesting for few, with no real storyline other than to gamers.

My copy is a torrent download from a while back, as I assumed they'd release it on DVD. You'd think there would be enough interest to make it profitable for those concerned.

• 1 month later...

I saw The King Of Kong,A Fistful Of Quarters last night on YTV.No matter how good one thinks they are, there's will ALWAYS be someone who is better than YOU.This seems like something Billy's father forgot to tell him when he was a kid.Billy's records were being broken, and to be fair, sure he was annoyed, and had a right to be.I don't think Billy is all that bad as the movie made him out to be.Steve Weibe befriended Billy's arch rival, Roy, i'm sure that was the major reason Billy was annoyed by Steve.I got into the movie a little late, why did Billy Hate Roy anyway?, besides the supposed cheating, gummy substance thing?.Maybe my opinion of Billy will not be the same after learning this reason?.Animosity exists between all competitors realistically.Also to be quite honest, Billy did seem to be a sore loser, i must add.It's okay to be sore at first when beaten, but to carry an ever lasting negative grudge when you're beaten fair and square is not respectable

Edited by Rik

I cannot understand why they didn't sell a DVD!

...I'd say because there's no market for it. King of Kong touched on the collective memories of a generation, and had a great story foremost. Chasing Ghosts is a niche film...interesting for few, with no real storyline other than to gamers.

My copy is a torrent download from a while back, as I assumed they'd release it on DVD. You'd think there would be enough interest to make it profitable for those concerned.

That can be the same reason why the supposed Atari/Bushnel/Leonardo DiCaprio as lead role, movie will not be.

• 4 weeks later...

In case anyone missed the 'news', Billy Mitchell is back on top for both DK and DK Jr. Once again, it looks like he beat the current record with lives & time to spare and just stopped playing. The drama continues...

http://retro.nintendolife.com/news/2010/08/billy_mitchell_back_on_top_of_donkey_kong

Even though he's always portrayed as the arrogant villain, Billy Mitchell's gaming skills are phenomenal. Even more impressive than being the best at DK & DK Jr, playing the first perfect Pac-Man in front of the Funspot crowd might be the best classic arcade performance ever. Every blue ghost, every fruit until the kill screen. No one had done it before and he pulled it off on the 'main stage'. Amazing.

Edited by boog
  • Like 1

In case anyone missed the 'news', Billy Mitchell is back on top for both DK and DK Jr. Once again, it looks like he beat the current record with lives & time to spare and just stopped playing. The drama continues...

http://retro.nintendolife.com/news/2010/08/billy_mitchell_back_on_top_of_donkey_kong

Even though he's always portrayed as the arrogant villain, Billy Mitchell's gaming skills are phenomenal. Even more impressive than being the best at DK & DK Jr, playing the first perfect Pac-Man in front of the Funspot crowd might be the best classic arcade performance ever. Every blue ghost, every fruit until the kill screen. No one had done it before and he pulled it off on the 'main stage'. Amazing.

I don't think anyone has ever doubted Billy's skills, he is beyond amazing. I think it's just that no one likes him due to his attitude and everyone wants to see him fall and fall hard! No one likes an arrogant bastard being on top.

Unless...

You're Mrs. Arrogant Bastard that is. ;)

Tempest

Of course the guy's got major skills. Heck he's even in the arcade gaming mags back in the 80's with high scores and pics.

It's interesting to me though that he did not possess the Donkey Kong high score record during the King of Kong filming. Although the film does it's best to 'hint' that he somehow does. Course that's all moot now anyway.

Whether Billy is an unlikeable guy or not, one thing for sure is the movie makers, producers are the real scumbags sometimes, who can manipulate things and hide the REAL truth to suit what ever agenda they have.

• Like 1

He beat Mr.Chien's record!!!!!!!!!Billy's ego had me thinking about Mohammed Ali.Ali bragged and boasted like there was no tomorrow about his Boxing prowess, and was arrogant like crazy very much like Billy.Well....Ali WAS the best the world has ever seen and could back up his claim.Folks can say what they want about Billy Mitchell, at least he can back his ego.Billy is one mother of a gamer, no doubt about it.Its when someone brags about a certain prowess and can't prove or back it up, that's NOT ON for sure.Arrogant or whatever, Billy is the best once again.I don't think however one has to be arrogant and brag about their achievements, no one likes a bragger, but like i said, he's earned his bragging rights.

Notice that Billy Mitchell does not play Donkey Kong 3? That is because Billy Mitchell knows he can't break my record! :D :cool:

OK, honestly it is probably the fact that he does not hold this record in high esteem as the other records. But it is kind of cool that my score is right along side a great like Billy Mitchell. There were only 3 Donkey Kong machines released in the U.S. during the early 80's(Donkey Kong,Donkey Kong Junior, and Donkey Kong3), and I happen to be the only person on the planet besides Billy Mitchell to have one of those records.

Notice that Billy Mitchell does not play Donkey Kong 3? That is because Billy Mitchell knows he can't break my record! :D :cool:

OK, honestly it is probably the fact that he does not hold this record in high esteem as the other records. But it is kind of cool that my score is right along side a great like Billy Mitchell. There were only 3 Donkey Kong machines released in the U.S. during the early 80's(Donkey Kong,Donkey Kong Junior, and Donkey Kong3), and I happen to be the only person on the planet besides Billy Mitchell to have one of those records.

Absolutely!I'm sure some unknown gamers out there have exceeded known world record holders scores.They just don't care to be known for it.Just like there are some guitar players sitting in a garage somewhere who blow away Eddie Van Halen.Anyways DK 3 is a fantastic game, i love it, hard as heck too!Anyway, congats on the DK high score Homer! :thumbsup:

Edited by Rik

That's because DK3 is regarded as the red-headed step-child and the weakest DK title of the series...

http://www.videogamecritic.net/nesde.htm#Donkey_Kong_3

I saw The King Of Kong,A Fistful Of Quarters last night on YTV.No matter how good one thinks they are, there's will ALWAYS be someone who is better than YOU.This seems like something Billy's father forgot to tell him when he was a kid.Billy's records were being broken, and to be fair, sure he was annoyed, and had a right to be.I don't think Billy is all that bad as the movie made him out to be.Steve Weibe befriended Billy's arch rival, Roy, i'm sure that was the major reason Billy was annoyed by Steve.I got into the movie a little late, why did Billy Hate Roy anyway?, besides the supposed cheating, gummy substance thing?.Maybe my opinion of Billy will not be the same after learning this reason?.Animosity exists between all competitors realistically.Also to be quite honest, Billy did seem to be a sore loser, i must add.It's okay to be sore at first when beaten, but to carry an ever lasting negative grudge when you're beaten fair and square is not respectable

If it's the Roy I think it is (I've not seen the movie, but this guy uses a walker), he got himself booted out of Big Bang when he raised a stink over the legitimacy of the new records. The guy actually hung out at the front doors for hours tell anyone and everyone why he believes the new records are phony. Of course his excessive whining turned out to be for naught as there were witnesses and footage of him playing the games. Good lord, and people complain about ME having nothing better to do with my time....I'm surprised someone hasn't just flat out said "well he must be gay!".

That's because DK3 is regarded as the red-headed step-child and the weakest DK title of the series...

http://www.videogamecritic.net/nesde.htm#Donkey_Kong_3

Donkey Kong 3 is a love it or hate it title. Some people swear by it as a fantastic game, while others, who are in the majority think the game sucks.

Of course I love it. Just because there is quite nothing like this game. It is still a side to side shooter, but you can jump up three different platforms, shoot worms that can't be killed but can kill you if they touch you, keep an eye out for the big fella Donkey Kong climbing down the vines, move out of the way of Donkey Kong's barrels that he throws, avoid the stingers, protect the flowers, dodge the shrapnel from the super bee, jump out of the way of side moving mosquito's, and watch out for a timer that when it hits zero releases the vine eaters that eat Donkey Kong's vines until he fall's, and beats you up.

There are just so many things to do, and to keep an eye out for, and the game literally brings out new characters that are harder to kill as the levels progress. In my opinion this game puts all shooter games to shame.

Billy 'quitting' shortly after passing the previous high score Chien is pure genious! Think about it; what is left after decimating your opponents completely?

Nothing.

This way, win or lose, champ or not, there's always something to talk about. Obviously Billy has the skills...no question. He probably could have widened the margin, but...someone here likened him to Ali. True in a few ways...without Frazier, Ali isn't much. Without Foreman, Ali isn't much.

A great champ needs quality contenders. And if Billy is that damn good so as to perch himself as undeniable champ, well...it doesn't make good business sense. No chance of the title changing hands?...nobody cares.

As long as Billy is the 'last' champ, he's milking it for all the right reasons.

Billy 'quitting' shortly after passing the previous high score Chien is pure genious! Think about it; what is left after decimating your opponents completely?

Nothing.

Also consider that in a game like DK that has a kill screen that these records are going to be tougher and tougher to break. It's going to demand increasingly difficult point pressing squeezed in to topple each new record.

Another record that is tough to beat is Crystal Castles since the game has an ending.

• 2 weeks later...

Last time I looked into it the MAME scores were much higher then the actual hardware scores. I understand this could be discredited for a number of reasons, people could say you were cheating (even though these scores are confirmed as well), and you can lay out your own control panel (which is more likely an advantage). With all that I still always thought these guys know how to play and play well. It would seem the money to aquire a real DK machine was the hold up for them to get a record on the real hardware.

Maybe Billy should give a machine to one of those guys like the lady in the film got a machine. This would show good will and want to grow these records and the hobby, and provide more stiff competition. I can't blame him for not giving that kind of money away, but it would surely help to change my mind about him if he gave someone with the ability to break his record the tools needed to compete.

Last time I looked into it the MAME scores were much higher then the actual hardware scores.

MAME high scores will always be second rate to the arcade high scores. MAME allows you to use your own controls and tweak the controller settings which you normally cannot do on an arcade cabinet. Also consider that the majority of (if not all) MAME records are performed in private where there is significantly less pressure versus breaking an arcade world record in a public arcade.

As a MAME record holder myself, I never state that "I am the Tail Gunner World Record holder" so as to not take credit away from the "true" Tail Gunner champion who did it on the arcade cabinet. I am the "Tail Gunner (MAME) Twin Galaxies World Record holder" as there are other entities that track MAME and arcade scores.