IGNORED

Rescue on Fractalus secret message

_Fandal_

Hi all!

Some time ago, Allan asked in this topic if it is possible to trigger secret message in 5200 version of Rescue of Fractalus.

I was able to find how to trigger it disassembling cartridge dump but I need some testing on real HW because there is some weird behaviour of RoF in Atari800Win PLus emulator. What is going on? I noticed that sometimes I must press # or * keys several times to change starting level. In other words, some key clicks are ignored or not registered. Does it works the same way on real HW or is it just some emulator issue?

Why am I asking? To trigger the secret message you must do this: select level 05 and press "5" key to accept the first number of activation code. Complet activation code is 05, 12, 15, 16, 11, 13, 14 and all numbers must be entered by pressing "5" key. And that is the problem in my favourite emulator as I usually must press #5 several times. I can't believe it was supposed to work this way...

Could someone test this on real HW, please?

F.

First, thank You Fandal for looking at this.

I'm a bit confused about how your saying to do this. Are you saying while holding down the '5' key, select level 5 with the '#' or '*' keys and then while still holding down the '5' key hit 05, 12, 15, 16, 11, 13, 14 keys? (sorry, I can be slow sometimes. :) ) By the way if you hit '0' at any time in the title screen it will take to the 'Droid' demo level, even if you're holding down another key.

I tried it this way on the hardware but got nothing.

Allan

First, thank You Fandal for looking at this.

I'm a bit confused about how your saying to do this. Are you saying while holding down the '5' key, select level 5 with the '#' or '*' keys and then while still holding down the '5' key hit 05, 12, 15, 16, 11, 13, 14 keys? (sorry, I can be slow sometimes. icon_smile.gif ) By the way if you hit '0' at any time in the title screen it will take to the 'Droid' demo level, even if you're holding down another key.

I tried it this way on the hardware but got nothing.

Allan

Sorry for my broken English. :)

Select level 05 using "#" or "*" keys and then press "5" key to enter the first part of code. Then select level 12 and press "5" again. Then do the same with levels 15, 16, 11, 13, 14. Names of authors should appear then. It works in emulator. I just don't understand why some key clicks are ignored in emulator. It hapens to me very often while selecting level and it seems to happen while pressing "5" key as well. I need to know if the same issue happens on real HW.

F.

post-5049-126840387594_thumb.png

OK I jump the gun.

I didn't think about the code itself.

So what does 5,12,15,16,11,13,14 mean?

If you do a strait letter to number code it's E L O P K M N.

If you start at 5 using 'press 5 before selecting each level' as a key, you get: A H K L G I R.

Any ideas anybody?

Allan

Nice to hear that!

Any other mystery to solve? icon_twisted.gif

F.

Sure, can you find out how to trigger the hidden invincibility code in 7800 Planet Smashers? ;)

Nice work on finding the RoF easter egg, by the way.

Mitch

Does it works the same way on real HW or is it just some emulator issue?

It's a known issue with Atari800WinPLus - it has only partially working emulation of 5200 buttons.

Any other mystery to solve?

There's a similar easter egg in the 8-bit Ballblazer - maybe you could check if it exists in the 5200 version?

It's got to be in there. :)

The levels are 1-9. So some kind of combination.

Allan

It's a known issue with Atari800WinPLus - it has only partially working emulation of 5200 buttons.

There's a similar easter egg in the 8-bit Ballblazer - maybe you could check if it exists in the 5200 version?

It's got to be in there. icon_smile.gif

Allan

That wasn't too difficult to find! You must press keys 1, 6, 7, 2, 9, 4, 3, 8 to trigger hidden credits at the same moment as is described in 8-bit version. Just be fast! Please test it on real HW.

F.

Edited by _Fandal_

Allan

That wasn't too difficult to find! You must press keys 1, 6, 7, 2, 9, 4, 3, 8 to trigger hidden credits at the same moment as is described in 8-bit version. Just be fast! Please test it on real HW.

F.

I did it really fast but nothing. What did you have the other settings on? Did you just start the game and waited for the playfield to appear?

Allan

Allan

F.

I did it really fast but nothing. What did you have the other settings on? Did you just start the game and waited for the playfield to appear?

Allan

You must enter this sequence while credits "Ballblazer", "A Lucasfilm production", "Regulation Certified" are flashing. Entering secret code new message should appear.

F.

post-5049-126849418607_thumb.png

Works for me, thanks!

To be more precise: you have to start entering the code after the credits text _finished_ fading in, and you have to end before the text _starts_ fading out. So you really have around 2 seconds to enter the whole sequence. The same situation as in the 8-bit verison.

After that, the programmer's names start appearing as one of the credit texts.