IGNORED

Mad Dog McCree for the Wii

Crazy Climber

Well, I just picked it up, Mad Dog McCree for my Nintendo Wii. It is a 3 game "Gunslinger" pack and it's price was $20 at Target. I haven't played it yet but this review basically sums up my guess on it..

http://www.wired.com/gamelife/2010/01/mad-dog-mccree-wii/

It pretty much says if you played the hell out of it back in the arcades (which I did) you will love taking the trip down memory lane but if you have never heard of the game you will hate it. I could see that being true. That FMV stuff has to be a real turd with kids these days, seemed so state of the art at the time but now it's just dated and silly. Anyways, anybody play this one yet? What did you think? I am guessing I will play through it once then pop it in the marketplace but who knows ;)

Okay I played it for a few hours yesterday, it is pretty much a dead on port of the arcade/3D0 versions. If thats a good or bad thing depends on what you thought of FMV style games. I like it, but the difficulty can be a little unfair at times (reminds me of the arcade) No saving which is lame, you have to start all the way at the beggining if you quit. Otherwise it is kind of fun to play, it's Mad Dog thats for sure. I will keep it around in my collection and try to play all 3 games from start to finish (who has the time anymore :sad: ) overall woth the $20 new (again, if you are a Mad Dog fan!)

Kinda cool to see that released for the Wii. I have it and ALL of the other FMV shooting games for the CD-i and it's DV cartridge, and like it real well. Not normally into FMV games, but a shooter such as this is cool and interactive enough. What you're saying about the difficulty thought reminds me of so many of those types of Laserdisc games, Dragon's Lair, Space Ace, etc. Just about learning or anticipating the shot through repetition. I still get a kick out of the scenery, stages, music, props and actors of those Mad Dog type games though. Definitely takes you back.

Can someone tell me how the hell to shoot the fuse? I think I am doing it all wrong somehow. Or maybe it's just really hard and my aim is bad?

There shouldn't be anything more to it than simply aiming and pulling the trigger. I'm guessing though that there's a bit of aim lag on the Wii version of this game. I couldn't stand the delayed "floaty" feel of the pointer to the screen. One of the largest reasons I ended up getting rid of the system really. They need to improve on that big time! Today, the optics should be as quick as a friggin' laser pointer, no excuse why it can't be and NONE of the other gaming consoles of the past 30+ years ever had that lethargic feel.

Edited by save2600

What you're saying about the difficulty thought reminds me of so many of those types of Laserdisc games, Dragon's Lair, Space Ace, etc. Just about learning or anticipating the shot through repetition.

So true, once you had the shots/moves permenantly burned in your memory you would OWN those games back in the arcade but be prepared to spend quite a few quarters getting to that level. I do mean quite a few, I don't remember one laserdisc game that didn't cost 50 cents, the mall by my house actually got you for 75 cents on Mad Dog :o

Can someone tell me how the hell to shoot the fuse? I think I am doing it all wrong somehow. Or maybe it's just really hard and my aim is bad?

I had a little trouble with this one. You have to shoot it sooner rather than later. If you wait for it to burn down too far it doesn't seem to work. Remember, you only get one shot on a laser disc game, if you miss the first shot it is already running the "you lose" program. Make that first shot count and try to get it right away. You will get it, after about $5 in quarters or so, got to love those quarter munchers :twisted: I am currently stuck on the final duel with Mad Dog, what a pain in the ass!!!

I am guessing I will play through it once then pop it in the marketplace but who knows ;)

I think this may happen :D I have only played it that one time and while it was a fun stroll down memory lane I am lacking the passion to play again (especially since you can not save progress, that is soooo lame :x ) I am going to fight off the urge to dump it for now in hopes that I will pick it back up again but it's not looking good....

• 2 weeks later...

I love this game, but i play it on my cd-i.

I'm guessing though that there's a bit of aim lag on the Wii version of this game. I couldn't stand the delayed "floaty" feel of the pointer to the screen. One of the largest reasons I ended up getting rid of the system really. They need to improve on that big time!

That's because the wiimote uses a same kind of detection system as the peacekeeper revolver of the cd-i. The cd-i gun is a lightgun that can also be used on lcd tv's, because it uses a ir-bar to detect where the gun is pointed at, Just like the wii.

I used to play Mad Dog on the PC port back in the day, and even with a mouse that version suffered from the exact same accuracy issues the Wii release has.

It seems like their underlying target code just doesn't match up with the video all of the time.