IGNORED

Having a Problem with my Burgertime Cart

My game glitched on me i think.

I was on a roll. Had over 200,000 points. I lost track of what level i was on, but i flipped it twice so it might of been level 17 or 18. And when i went over the last bun to end the level the game ended and jumped to the title screen. I was so mad.

I was using my Modded Nes/7800 controller if that makes a difference. But would a controller cause that? or maybe my game is glitched? The game doesn't have an end does it?

I did some searching and i found this.

http://www.maniacworld.com/game_console_history/Colecovision.htm#13.2

Now i'm a complete noob when it comes to this stuff so i have no idea if this has anything to do with my problem or not. Mine didn't reset to the level select screen but the title screen. But i wonder if there is a possibility that the combination of using my Nes/7800 controller and the controllers going through the roller controller has anything to do with it? Just a thought.

Just trying to get to the bottom of this. I'd hate for this to happen again if i get real far into the game again. That controller is the only one i like using for Burgertime. It's super precise.

Just did another attempt at it and this time after i dropped the last bun on level 8 the game froze and went to a strange black screen. Tomorrow i'll try using the actual Colecovision controller and see if it makes a difference. Not sure if i can get as far using it.

This attempt was without the roller controller attached but i was still using my Nes controller.

Edited by rgw825

Just did another attempt at it and this time after i dropped the last bun on level 8 the game froze and went to a strange black screen. Tomorrow i'll try using the actual Colecovision controller and see if it makes a difference. Not sure if i can get as far using it.

This attempt was without the roller controller attached but i was still using my Nes controller.

I'm looking forward to hearing your results.

Using the Colecovision controller i could only get to level 9. I have a hard time using it. My hand is cramped. It didn't reset this time. But that doesn't mean it wouldn't eventually.

So i still don't know if it's the controller, the cart, or the system.

I have tried using a Sega Master System pad but it doesn't respond right. When i push up sometimes it will go up and sometimes it won't. Sometimes it will go left or right instead. But it works wonderful on Centipede. Go figure.

Hmmm. Wish I could help test.

But, yeah, using the stock controllers is tough. They're my least favorite stock controllers of any pre-crash system.

I would love to hear what is causing this myself. Sometimes, a broken solder joint will cause problems like your describing. Have you moved the console around and wiggled the RF plug when your not playing to see if it resets? I suspect it is either a solder joint or perhaps the power cord is loosing contact at the plug from movement of the console.

About controllers:

You guys should check out my ColecoVision ball knob thread. If you have a 1/4"-20 die you can buy a couple ball knobs (only 89 cents each) from knobsdirect and turn those ColecoVision controllers into the Arcade controllers they should have been in the first place.

http://www.atariage.com/forums/topic/153675-colecovision-controller-rebuild-and-joystick-ball-offer/page__fromsearch__1

Just did another run through. And this time i eliminated something else from the equation. I forgot that i was using a Genesis Controller extender. Now i'm still not 100% sure if that was the culprit but i just did a long play through still using the Nes controller and it didn't reset this time. I got farther this time than i did the first time. (i think i miss quoted how far i got the first time. I forgot there are only 6 boards instead of 7 like on the Intellivision, i probably only got to 14 or 15 first time).

One thing that makes me think it was the extender is that when i'm using it, the Nes controller won't work unless i plug it in after i chose the skill level on the second controller, then i have to plug it in real quick. Without the extender i can have the controller plugged before hand.

Maybe i found the culprit, maybe i just got lucky. But i'm Burgetimed out for now. lol

If anybody is interested, i just recording the playthrough i just did for my Youtube channel. I will be uploading it sometime later today. I'm mainly an Intellivision guy but the Colecovision is starting to grow on me. :lust:

http://www.youtube.com/user/IntellivisionDude

I've had my Burgertime cartridge since 1984. A couple of them, in fact.

They ALL have the problem you've described. It isn't anything you're doing, or the controller- it is clearly a bug in the program itself.

You're also not the only one who has mentioned this. So that shows that it is widespread.

Edited by CV Gus

That's too bad. We need a bugfixed version of this burned to EEPROMs because it's otherwise an excellent port of the game.

I wish I could fix it...

That would be awesome.

I want to get Beef Drop soon. It's at the top of my want list. But a non buggy Coleco version would be totally awesome too.

That's too bad. We need a bugfixed version of this burned to EEPROMs because it's otherwise an excellent port of the game.

I wish I could fix it...

That would be awesome.

I want to get Beef Drop soon. It's at the top of my want list. But a non buggy Coleco version would be totally awesome too.

I'd like to have Beef Drop, but as a box fetishist I can't bring myself to buy it. :P

I'll have to console myself with the Intellivision version, I suppose.

I wish I could fix it...

Does the Mattel Prototype ROM has this problem too ? :ponder:

Maybe this version is not corrupted?

I didn't know anything about that. Did Mattel's programmers make Burgertime for Coleco?

I wish I could fix it...

Does the Mattel Prototype ROM has this problem too ? :ponder:

Maybe this version is not corrupted?

I didn't know anything about that. Did Mattel's programmers make Burgertime for Coleco?

I hope i'm not giving you incorrect information. But i just recently heard of this version myself. I am under the impression that it was never released officially and is just a unreleased prototype. But roms exist.

Here is a youtube of it.

I hope i'm not giving you incorrect information. But i just recently heard of this version myself. I am under the impression that it was never released officially and is just a unreleased prototype. But roms exist.

Here is a youtube of it.

That's very interesting! Hmmm.