IGNORED

Was a certain game ever released..

Mclaneinc

I don't know if you guys remember a little while back a guy from the UK who had written a machine code shooter that looked real nice was offering to release it if people donated to a cancer(??) fund, but he wanted a hell of a lot of money at the time.

Did he ever release it?

Aha, sector wars

Edited by Mclaneinc

Doesn't look like much of a game anyway.

Given that quality releases like Yoomp and Bomb Jake were released both freely and as purchasable media, maybe the better course of action would have been to just give people both options.

You can produce a floppy and a little flyer or booklet for under a buck, and sell it at a reasonable price and still make a decent profit.

A Grand is a lot, especially if you're talking UK Pounds.

The other thing is that stuff like medical research funding/donations is a very locallised thing. People in other countries would rather give to their own rather than an overseas research organisation.

• 9 months later...

No reply, guess this one's on the missing list for good....

Sorry I didn't reply to your message about Sector Wars - I didn't see it so it much have got lost somehow. Had a busy two years working abroad but I will definitely try and release the game over next few months - I have moved the family overseas now so once things settle down I will try to put a game over sequence in the game and fix some issues.

I did look at this about a 18 months ago but unfortunately some of the source files got corrupted so I ended up trying to disassemble the memory to re-create the missing source files. For some reason the screen memory is get messed up when running the game - I will get to the bottom of it and will definitely upload it at some point. I also wrote about seven games in Atari BASIC which I will upload as well. I only ever sent off a couple to magazines and they were published in Home Computing Weekly. The games were HCWMAN (Pacman clone) and The Chaotic Crossing (Frogger clone). The other games I never submitted were Electro Maze, Warrior of the Flies (Yars Revenge Clone), Spider Wars, Starship Dock and maybe another couple which I can't recall.

It is right that the Sector Wars game isn't much to look at, however at the time it was a lot of work especially working in 6502 assembler - very enjoyable though :)

Thanks for the interest. Cheers

What I like about this game is that there are several very different playing scenarios, whereas most games only have 1 main gameplay routine.

Best of luck with completing the game.

Yeah, and it has a nice, old school, arcade-like look to it. I saw some good influences from Gorf, Pleiades, and Galaxian. A bit of Demon Attack too. I too like games that infuse a bunch of different scenarios. Good work!

Edited by invisible kid

Thanks everyone for the comments, and the info about the competition.

I wrote the game when I was 14/15 and at that time my top games were Phoenix, Gorf, Galaxian and Astro Blaster so "tried" to take bits and pieces from those. I didn't realise there was still a community of people developing for the Atari's so that is great to hear. Well get back to the game as soon as we settle in our new home/country. Thanks

• Like 1

• 6 years later...

Mega re bump...

Well it was my thread...

Still hoping Vic will release the game, have sent two messages different ways in hope of getting a release. I personally liked the look of the game and any software is always welcome so hopefully it just might (real outside chance) happen..

No harm in trying and lests hope Vic and family settled fine in their new country...

Edit:..Even with a spellchecker I still get stuff wrong :)

Edited by Mclaneinc

I don't think he realizes we can probably recover his source disk data and all that, we have some people who are very good at disk cleaning, recovery, and repair... it wouldn't cost him a thing

I had to recover some disks by totally removing the disk from its jacket, clean it off with rubbing alcohol let it dry and put in back in the jacket, tape it up. Worked better, but not perfect.

I for one will never ask anyone in advance for donations for game projects I am working on, and I will never pay anyone on advance for theirs. The finished game is what people want to buy and receive their own copy. Does not matter if its something they pay for the download or online order for the floppy or cartridge.

If he gets back to finishing this game, maybe he can make something on floppy or cartridge with some nice labeling, manual, packaging art. If he is raising money for a charity, that would be something people will buy.

Edited by peteym5

I for one will never ask anyone in advance for donations for game projects I am working on, and I will never pay anyone on advance for theirs.

THIS.

Outside of the Atari scene, Kickstarter and the like have taught me never to pre-pay for software. Kickstarter says that it is not a store. Developers are said to be "smart" to go there for pre-sales... and their customers are said to be dumb for the exact same reason, in most cases. :)

This game looks like a fun GORF / Galaxians / Threshold. Would seriously consider throwing a few $$ at it if it materializes.

• Like 3