IGNORED

Harmony Cart and Sega controllers

Jagaroth

Hi,

I just got my deluxe copy of the Harmony Cartridge in the mail last week and finally had a chance to fire it up. It has the latest driver installed and I'm trying to run it on a 2600 jr. The problem that has occurred is that I misplaced my 2600 controllers for the time being and tried to use both a 3 button and 6 button Sega Genesis controller to run through the menu. Neither appears to function. Concerned that this was an issue with the controller port itself, I inserted a copy of Yars Revenge, and it controlled just fine. Can anyone else try out their system with a Sega Genesis controller and confirm this issue? I hope to be able to make it out to my storage shed next weekend to find my 2600 controllers and confirm my system is fine.

The harmony cart is detecting the gamepad as a set of paddles. Its a known issue, but unfortunately there isn't enough free space left in the menu program for an easy fix.

Try unplugging the pad and then turn on the atari. When you see the harmony menu you can plug the pad back in and it will work.

Its a pain for regular use, but good enough for testing.

Edited by RevEng

Jagaroth, I definitely sympathize, as I'm in the same boat -- more or less, anyway: my 2600 controllers are long in the tooth and tend to be flaky, so I like to use Genesis pads. Plus my six-button pad has autofire, which is nice for some games.

Have there been any updates to this issue since the last post in this thread?

The harmony cart is detecting the gamepad as a set of paddles. Its a known issue, but unfortunately there isn't enough free space left in the menu program for an easy fix.

Try unplugging the pad and then turn on the atari. When you see the harmony menu you can plug the pad back in and it will work.

Its a pain for regular use, but good enough for testing.

Thanks for the heads up! This seemed to do the trick.

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

No problem!

[shameless plug]

Since you have Harmony and a sega pad, you may want to check out the 2-button game hacks, linked in my signature.

[/shameless plug]

@thegoldenband: No news yet. :(

I did and thank you. What an awesome idea! i wish more games were modified to have this. awesome work, definitely makes these games more fun. Sometimes a little weird ha ha but for the most part fun.

Thanks, SekOner! I'm glad you find them as fun as I do.

IMO a person hasn't seen the best of those games until they've played them with 2 buttons.

And just in case someone is reading about Harmony and Sega pads for the first time: the info in this thread is now old. The latest Harmony firmware now supports the Sega pad - simply hold down button B as you turn the Atari on.

• 4 months later...

It looks like the pinouts are right, and from what I read the genesis pads are supposed to be backward compatible with the SMS controllers, so my best guess is that they should work.

But I haven't tried them myself, so I couldn't swear to it.

Thanks RevEng!

I ordered a Harmony Cart yesterday. I will test the Master System controller on some of the two button games and let you know the results.

• 3 weeks later...

Thanks RevEng!

I ordered a Harmony Cart yesterday. I will test the Master System controller on some of the two button games and let you know the results.

Nice... I look forward to the results!

The Master System controller didn't work as a two button controller. I tried holding down each of the buttons when turning on the console but it didn't work.

I will buy a Genesis controller instead.

• 6 years later...