IGNORED

Painted? Astrosmash label

As I've mentioned before, I'm working on the Intellivision variation list. With the help of INTV Funhouse, I've been able to work rather accurately so far, and have even given them some missing scans they didn't have.

I just came across this, and thought it was a normal variation. Astrosmash doesn't have many, the few being red, with one white. I have the small label version that's not on INTV FH, so you'll get to see that in a day or two when I finish Astrosmash. This one that is strange has a date of 1981, which the other red labels don't have dates. The USA has moved to the bottom right. But the funny thing is this isn't a label, it's painted directly on the cartridge. There is a light red border, which I thought the label covered up something, but then I took a real close look at it and see that it's not a label at all.

Has anyone seen this before, and if so, are there other titles with it? I'm posting the scan here so you can see if for yourself before I get it up on the website with all the Astrosmash listings.

Phil

post-1349-126870167798_thumb.jpg

Edited by Philflound

Yeah, I find it strange too. Thing is, I'm not sure where I got this from. Almost every single Intellivision game I have as stock is in a comic book bag with the label that I put on the bag saying whether it has instructions and how many overlays. Each of these was what I used originally 2 years ago when I began the variation list to write exactly which variations these were.

The one I'm showing you here was purchased later I believe. Maybe from a yard sale. I can remember only making 2 other purchases of Intellivision games in the past couple of years. One was a yard sale, which I'm guessing is this one, the other was on Ebay that had about 23 boxed games a few loose. These 2 collections I did not merge with my stock. So this was laying in the box of games I had not gone through. The box it came in is the normal MADE IN USA box that all the others pretty much are with the non-plastic tray cart area. It came with the G1 overlays with the grey background. It has what looks like the standard instruction manual, the extra 1-sheet update, and a normal 1982 catalog. I would think if it was some sort of proto, it would not have been in a box with all the normal contents.

Phil

PS: I may open this up.

Alright, I opened it up. It has 1 chip and I think it's 1 capacitor that says 50v. The board that the chip is on says "2610-3229 Rev H"

The chip itself has the following:

AMI 8206JV

CI1983

3605-0090

Korea

What you think?

Phil

Changed my mind. I opened up another and the regular version has 2 chips. So here is the scan of the painted label cart.

post-1349-126871132014_thumb.jpg

Edited by Philflound

Well, how many chips does a normal Astrosmash have? Or did the change with the technology. I'm assuming that with the high cost of chip production back then, they would want to use 1 instead of 2 to save money. The 2 chip one I opened both had ROM written on them, this one doesn't say it is a ROM. I know EPROMs are usually big, at least with the Atari, and much heavier than the normal cart. You'd think I know more with a computer engineering degree. Too bad it's been almost 20 years since I actually used it.

Phil

Is it a painted/silkscreened label... or a replacement made from decal film like you use for models? If it's the latter, the white box that extends almost to the edge would be necessary to make the red 'opaque' against the black of the cart plastic.

What the deuce? There's solder holes so it's a 2-chip board but only 1 chip inside.....very, very weird!

Maybe Rev has some answers. I figure someone with more knowledge than I would have a clue. I also sent it to Steve at INTV Funhouse to get his opinion on it.

On a separate note, I found what looks to be like a light blue label for Backgammon. I've only seen green ones that does not have the ABPA. The label has water damage, but if it was faded, green would become yellow. Blue becomes green I believe. Any ideas on this?

post-1349-126871222807_thumb.jpg

PS: I'm not listing this as a variation yet. For all I know, it was some chemical that changed it from green to blue, but I wanted to get some opinions.

Edited by Philflound

Is it a painted/silkscreened label... or a replacement made from decal film like you use for models? If it's the latter, the white box that extends almost to the edge would be necessary to make the red 'opaque' against the black of the cart plastic.

J, have you seen this before? If you have, any idea on how many games? I'm thinking this would be rare. When I continue going through each title, if there are more, I'm bound to find some. I just think it's strange. Unless it was a management decision? Labels too expensive? People complained labels fell off?

Phil

J, have you seen this before? If you have, any idea on how many games? I'm thinking this would be rare. When I continue going through each title, if there are more, I'm bound to find some. I just think it's strange. Unless it was a management decision? Labels too expensive? People complained labels fell off?

Phil

I have no idea. I have never seen this. Sure its not Canada or overseas, Brazilian or Something like that. :? I like it though. :)

I have 15 opened boxed Astrosmash games. One is the painted version here, one is the Hong Kong label and box, one is the INTV top opening box, and 12 are the USA regular boxes. Boy I wish I could find all the loose carts I have. When I get to other titles, if I find another painted label, I'll post it here.

Phil

On a separate note, I found what looks to be like a light blue label for Backgammon. I've only seen green ones that does not have the ABPA. The label has water damage, but if it was faded, green would become yellow. Blue becomes green I believe. Any ideas on this?

PS: I'm not listing this as a variation yet. For all I know, it was some chemical that changed it from green to blue, but I wanted to get some opinions.

Intv Funhouse has it as a variation.

http://www.intvfunhouse.com/games/abpa.php

Direct link to the picture.

• Like 1

Intv Funhouse has it as a variation.

http://www.intvfunho.../games/abpa.php

Direct link to the picture.

Didn't even think to look there. :thumbsup:

No, the one I posted here is blue. He has the green label. In fact, I have the green label too. The color does not look the same, even if it was water damaged. Compare what is on my site, which is a real closeup to the "blue" label I posted here.

Phil

Backgammon

You're right. I thought one of them might have been a faded version of the other.

No, the one I posted here is blue. He has the green label. In fact, I have the green label too. The color does not look the same, even if it was water damaged. Compare what is on my site, which is a real closeup to the "blue" label I posted here.

Phil

Backgammon

You're right. I thought one of them might have been a faded version of the other.

That is the problem. I don't think green fades to light blue. I'm hoping someone can confirm that this variation does exist. Unless like I mentioned, maybe some chemical got on it and turned it blue.

Phil

I dont know much about cart label variations.but i know that have never seen a 'painted' on label.very strange.

Have you opened up the carts before to look at the PCBs? I'm wondering if the chip is in any way different than other Astrosmash ones. I'm not about to try and open every copy I have. hehe

Phil

PS: I'm about to work on Auto Racing. Problem is I got a nice box of Atari 2600 games yesterday and have many M Network carts in there. Some variations I didn't have on the list at all, others I now can confirm with scans. I left many of the M Network variations not marked with a scan, even though the labels are mainly the same. I want to confirm their existence before giving the go ahead. That was the whole purpose of doing the photo site in the first place.

I dont know much about cart label variations.but i know that have never seen a 'painted' on label.very strange.

I recall seeing soemhting similar many years ago. I will have to check all my carts now... if I still have it.

-Lee

I recall seeing soemhting similar many years ago. I will have to check all my carts now... if I still have it.

-Lee

Keep me posted on this. If I ever find my box(es) of loose carts, I may find more.

Phil

• 2 years later...