IGNORED

New Joysticks source..?

LS650

I'm curious where other folks get joysticks from to use with their 2600s. For a long time I've been using a couple of Sega Genesis pads, but now that I have a Harmony cart I've started using a replica joystick from my Flashback 2.

- how do FB2 joysticks compare for longevity in comparison to the original Atari sticks?

- where do folks buy decent joysticks from? I find when I buy used sticks off eBay they tend to be faulty...

I'm curious where other folks get joysticks from to use with their 2600s. ...

What about using quality game controls, like a laptop arcade joystick 'master control' ?

How many people are using custom/non-std joysticks on Atari?? Bought, or made. No Atari sticks, No Wicos',

No Epyx.

Another possible avenue of fun could be making game software together with special controls

especially suited to the game? Hmm. For that matter, is there any way of interfacing PC level

gamecontrols through the db9 joystick plug with supported game software? Obviously NOT anything

like USB (unless uC inbetween) but more like the db15 controls that are in thrift stores for $2...

(Or a $3 ATmega?)

( :D I know, just the idea of all this on the vcs makes me smile. )

*peace*

Falcon_

*GASP my one line msg turned into a ramble :P

I am hoping that Curt will make classic versions (DB9 Atari connector) of his Atari sticks. I don't want to speak for him, but I kind of have a feeling he is thinking about this.

I think that if he was able to make them in different colors, there would be some demand. For example, like the C64-matching USB one I saw on his Legacy Engineering site. I think that reproductions of the XE gray one would be cool, and 400/800 beige. My guess would be it's prohibitively expensive to make many colors, and new Atari sticks in any color would be cool.

I just hope if he makes DB9 sticks that they don't have the smooth texture of the USB sticks... great product, but honestly, the smoothness drives me nuts. I like the slight texture of the originals, as it helps grip the thing better, especially under pressure, and I really can't use these USB sticks at all.

But as for joysticks, I have a whole milk crate just of third-party joysticks. I don't even know what all is in there, but every time I see one at a thrift etc, I pick it up. I think it won't be long before it's impossible to find original DB9 sticks in the wild.

EDIT: Forgot to mention that my main joysticks that I grab the most often are Slik Sticks. I picked up 2 NIB ones a couple years back, and I do still see them for sale reasonably NIB occasionally.

You can get joystick replacements and rebuilding kits at Best electronics.

I have found the FB2 sticks aren't quite as durable as the original CX-40 sticks. I still use a couple CX-40s as my main controllers, though I do have a Tac-2 and an XJ-500 that I use occasionally.

*GASP my one line msg turned into a ramble :P

Ramble? More like, HIJACK! :P ;)

Now, back to the originally-scheduled topic...

Maybe you just got unlucky with the original joysticks you got. I've acquired several over the past few years and have yet to get a malfunctioning one. That sound you hear now is me knocking on wood...

It's not hard to increase the chances you'll get a good stick on eBay; just buy from a seller with a good rep, make sure the description states that (or ask if) it works, and confirm they'll refund if it doesn't.

I don't know how well (or not) the Flashback joysticks are made, but I wouldn't imagine they are any better or worse than any controller made with modern methods. I love mine; it's like playing the original but without the blasted thumb-fatigue on that fire button! :). Gotta hate those damn metal dome switches!

Ennyweighs, If my FB stick does give out one day, I don't imagine it will be too hard to find a new one; I got it on eBay and they're pretty easy to spot if the seller includes an actual picture (assuming he doesn't outright state that it's a FB stick).

-tet

For something new that is the most like a CX-40 - https://www.atari2600.com/item--Joystick--ATA26CON0132.html

Best Electronics makes quality CX-40s. The gold plated PCBs are better than the original - http://www.best-electronics-ca.com/quickguide.htm#Gold CX40

Both sites have other controllers for you to consider. It is personal tastes. I use a mix of joysticks. A golf analogy... different games seem to require a different club.

Some... maybe most are better. The original CX-40 didn't have the best quality. My original CX-40s only made it a year or so. The ones from atari2600.com may not be the best out there now, but are probably better than the original.

• Like 1

I always preferred Gemsticks, followed by originals. Parts to repair or improve cx40's are easy to come by. Another alternative is the Sega Master System Control Stick. It has a large squared top on the handle which gets in the way so I just pop it off.

I like the tac-2, myself.

As for where I get my joysticks, mostly from people on this site. Most folks here are pretty reliable.

I also prefer my tac-2. But i have got two differnt black ones. One made in U.S. the other made in China in complete black, also the stick is completely in black.

Edited by kiki77