IGNORED

New Stereo Extension avaiable!

mega-hz

@atariski: I know that problem of this little yellow light on a Volkswagen!

Simple Trick: CUT OFF THIS LED! :thumbsup: :twisted:

(I hate VW`s...sorry, better would be OPEL,VAUXHALL,HOLDEN or GM at all)

Wolfram-

You may be joking, but it's illegal to screw with the dashboard-- the speedometer or LEDs within it. And it's illegal to drive with engine light on as well (at least in NJ). So I have to keep taking my chances that someone will repair it. And I don't see any screws to remove the front panel/dashboard of my car anyway-- must be some top secret.

Wolfram-

You may be joking, but it's illegal to screw with the dashboard-- the speedometer or LEDs within it. And it's illegal to drive with engine light on as well (at least in NJ). So I have to keep taking my chances that someone will repair it. And I don't see any screws to remove the front panel/dashboard of my car anyway-- must be some top secret.

Yes, was a joke!

But illiegal?? Its illegal to change the KM Counter, but LEDs, Backlight etc. ?

@Metalguy:

I know about those electronic features in modern cars and i also know, they run much better as an V8 with Holley...

I have learned Car Mechanic at 1984, first Opel than Nissan.... later Carpainter and since 10yrs i am working in a Industrial Electronics...

But it makes no fun to skrew at those modern plastic-bombers, the oldschool technic is much more interesting.

Ok, elektronic ignition and injection, but no more for me.

At this time i drive an 95 Opel Astra with 1.7L Isuzu Turbo Diesel, it has only a little timer electronics for the glowplugs,

nothing more. it is a real fuelsaver with 4-5L/100km.

Diesel (or as you say, Gasoil)is the cheapest in Germany, not so in us,right?

Wolfram.

Edited by mega-hz

Wolfram-

Yes, was a joke!

But illiegal?? Its illegal to change the KM Counter, but LEDs, Backlight etc. ?

@Metalguy:

I know about those electronic features in modern cars and i also know, they run much better as an V8 with Holley...

I have learned Car Mechanic at 1984, first Opel than Nissan.... later Carpainter and since 10yrs i am working in a Industrial Electronics...

But it makes no fun to skrew at those modern plastic-bombers, the oldschool technic is much more interesting.

Ok, elektronic ignition and injection, but no more for me.

At this time i drive an 95 Opel Astra with 1.7L Isuzu Turbo Diesel, it has only a little timer electronics for the glowplugs,

nothing more. it is a real fuelsaver with 4-5L/100km.

Diesel (or as you say, Gasoil)is the cheapest in Germany, not so in us,right?

Wolfram.

If I break the glass of the dashboard and pry out the LED from within the speedometer, it would look like I messed with the mileage as well. At least it would be hard to convince them I didn't given the mess they would see in front of them.

I don't think cars carries over to sound boards. In fact, I have a volkswagen whose engine light stays on and I have spent hundreds of dollars and three different mechanic shops have misdiagnosed the problem. One said it was a breather hose and I got that replaced and it still didn't go out. That was a volkswagen dealer. Then one guy said, it was a computer glitch so I got the computer inside reset and after a few hours light came back on. Now a third mechanic charged me around $100 for another diagnosis and claims it's the fuel trim system. Oh, volkswagen dealer also replaced the engine coils which were on recall and still the engine light didn't go out. Maybe I need to take it to germany to get it fixed.

No way to do a diagnostics via internet, but did someone mention about a problem with the car´s lambda probe (Lambda Sonde in German). This thing causes the lamp to light, too.

Lamda probe.. For Americans, that's an exhaust oxygen sensor..

And yeah.. A bad o2 sensor will damn sure turn a light on because it provides the input used by the engine controller to precisely fine-tune fuel delivery during normal engine operating temperatures, and also (on later models with multple O2 sensors) to monitor the efficiency of various emissions control systems.

If your O2 sensor is sending input that is out of range, you WANT it to let you know, because you are most certainly not going to get the best fuel mileage if your car's engine controller is using preset base-values for fuel delivery curves rather than having the advantage of real-world measured data on which to base it's fuel delivery..

A condition like this could simply indicate that the sensor, itself needs to be replaced.. The catalyst within the sensor has a finite lifetime.. Or, it could indicate some other engine/fuel delivery problem which is causing the oxygen content of the exhaust to be too high or low. In either case, you want to get that fixed, or you are wasting fuel and possibly neglecting a minor repair which could become costly if left "untreated"..

This is hardly unique to german cars.. American cars and asian imports do the exact same thing..

And that's a fact, folks..

That "name" seems to discribe the function of this item better than German one ;)

It`s nice to talk about cars, but wasn`t this thread about Stereo Extension for ATARIs?

Ataris dont have yello lamps and o2 sensors... :-)

Hehe, you´re right, but the discussion went somewhat wrong ;)

It`s nice to talk about cars, but wasn`t this thread about Stereo Extension for ATARIs?

Ataris dont have yello lamps and o2 sensors... :-)

My car had an Atari 600XL built in, albeit a mono one :-)

So you hacked the GPS screen for your Atari video output and replaced the cassette player with a mini-Atari PCB? I hope you used wireless joysticks.

Back to engine light, I think painting the area where LED is lit may provide some better damage control as I only would have to break the dashboard glass in that case.

And yeah.. A bad o2 sensor will damn sure turn a light on because it provides the input used by the engine controller to precisely fine-tune fuel delivery during normal engine operating temperatures, and also (on later models with multple O2 sensors) to monitor the efficiency of various emissions control systems.

If your O2 sensor is sending input that is out of range, you WANT it to let you know, because you are most certainly not going to get the best fuel mileage if your car's engine controller is using preset base-values for fuel delivery curves rather than having the advantage of real-world measured data on which to base it's fuel delivery..

A condition like this could simply indicate that the sensor, itself needs to be replaced.. The catalyst within the sensor has a finite lifetime.. Or, it could indicate some other engine/fuel delivery problem which is causing the oxygen content of the exhaust to be too high or low. In either case, you want to get that fixed, or you are wasting fuel and possibly neglecting a minor repair which could become costly if left "untreated"..

This is hardly unique to german cars.. American cars and asian imports do the exact same thing..

And that's a fact, folks..

Car terminology is all Greek to me. Is there a picture of what this O2 sensor looks like and where it is? It took me a week to figure out what and where the breather hose was. I think the issue may just be that the sensor is bad. Oh, there's one more indicator that lights up once in a while-- it's a traingle surrounded by a circular arrow pointing as if a dog is chasing it's own tail. What's that supposed to indicate?

So you hacked the GPS screen for your Atari video output and replaced the cassette player with a mini-Atari PCB? I hope you used wireless joysticks.

I usually drive 60's & 70's or early 80's cars so no GPS screen. An old 12V B/W TV, an XF551 and a 12V-to-5V stabilizer to connect the 600XL would do :-)

• 2 weeks later...

I usually drive 60's & 70's or early 80's cars so no GPS screen. An old 12V B/W TV, an XF551 and a 12V-to-5V stabilizer to connect the 600XL would do :-)

Just to let you know that the engine light did go away and by itself. I drove over some pothole and that seem to have put out the light. Car still works and engine/battery are still there. Method just happened and not recommended by any mechanic.

• 3 weeks later...

Just got my Stereo board in... very nice! I took out the RF Modulator to fit the jacks, and since I forgot that you lose composite video when you do that, I disconnected the switch I had setup to disable composite video as part of the SuperVideo 2.1 mod, and used it to control whether the stereo upgrade is enabled or not. When it's disabled, both channels are bonded to the one pokey. Very nice!

post-2472-127319917464_thumb.jpg

Edited by Shawn Jefferson

• 1 month later...

Hi mega-hz,

Sounds like I have a need again. Do you have any left? :?

If not: I bought some more for exactly that case. I take triple the price... NO, just kidding. If he has no more left, you can buy one of my spares for exactly the same price.

Hi mega-hz,

Sounds like I have a need again. Do you have any left? :?

If not: I bought some more for exactly that case. I take triple the price... NO, just kidding. If he has no more left, you can buy one of my spares for exactly the same price.

I might take you up on that. I tried pming him and sending email. Email was returned undeliverable. No answer yet on my PM.

It's complete except for the pokey's right? And I'm assuming I will need to solder connections. Will I need to purchase phono connectors? Did he send any hookup instructions? Might need a copy of that too. :ponder:

Do you do paypal?

Thanks!

Why stop at stereo? I always thought that quad-pokey would be the ultimate. Yeah you could go beyond quad even, but I think you'd get diminishing returns:

1. Quad pokey means 16 voices, or 8 16-bit voices. That would accommodate even the most ambitious compositions.

2. In stereo mode it would be 8 voices per side, or 4 16-bit.

3. I think that beyond 4 pokeys the CPU consumption of playing music might become too excessive for use in games, especially if you're using (for example) 2 interrupts per frame.

4. Quad pokey exists in arcade games. How is this relevant? I don't know. But it sounds nice.

Anyway I'd buy a board like this one in a quad arrangement in a heartbeat...

Hello dmlloyd

CD-players were available for arcade games as well. That way, they could load lots of data. Nowaday, CD-Players are available for the 8 bit Atari too, so you could load lots of data. For instance for quad Pokeys. All we need is for somebody to take advantage of the storage capacity of todays media.

sincerely

Mathy

Hi Folks,

sorry for the long delay but i had a lot of trouble in my house...

a broken waterpipe made everything wet...

But now its all fixed and i have more time again for the atari.

I still have some Stereo-Extensions here, if somebody wants!

BUT: Please write an email, no pm! i am not so often in this forum!

Thanx,

Wolfram.

mega-hz "at" t-online.de

• 3 weeks later...