IGNORED

New Stereo Extension avaiable!

mega-hz

Board received.

Hi Folks,

All PCBs are shipped and there are ZERO left!

But another run of PCBs is coming in a few weeks,

so if you like to have one, two, twenty... don`t mind to send me an email!

regards,

Wolfram.

I've been installing mine over the last couple of days. At my age I'm definitely not a speedster. :lol:

I've come across something that you might want to think about doing. The diameter of the pins that are to be inserted into the pokey socket are just a tad large. Once I get the pins into the socket, it will never be good again for a regular pokey chip. I realize that is a common thing with double headers, but I had a devil of a time getting the pins inserted. They were just about too big even for the socket to handle.

Great product though. Looking forward to finishing the install and powering up. :)

• 2 months later...

Hi All

I finally got round to getting one of these installed. I tried a few titles and it sounds great, except for Yoomp!. It doesn't seem to like the upgrade being switched on. If I have stereo enabled when I boot the cart the machine hangs but everything is fine with the upgrade disabled.

Has anyone else with Mega-Hz upgrade tried Yoomp! ?

Excellent board by the way. My 600XL is now pretty much tricked out!

Edited by spookt

I finally got round to getting one of these installed. I tried a few titles and it sounds great, except for Yoomp!. It doesn't seem to like the upgrade being switched on. If I have stereo enabled when I boot the cart the machine hangs but everything is fine with the upgrade disabled.

Has anyone else with Mega-Hz upgrade tried Yoomp! ?

Yup, I did and ran into the same problem as you :-)

But the solution is simple: Pull out the second Pokey, slightly bend up pin 29 (IRQ) so that it doesn't fit into the socket and reseat it.

BTW: in later revisions of the board this problem is solved, mega-hz disconnected the IRQ line (IIRC we also mentioned this, maybe not in this thread but somewhere else, can't remember)

so long,

Hias

Is it true stereo, though, or just two POKEYs playing the same voice through two speakers? It's not the same thing as stereo. The POKEYs would have to be capable of independent operation for that.

I guess I know why you think that. It's the type of how dual POKEY always gets used...> playing the same melody with a slight difference in the instrument.

• 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...

Hate to bump this up, but has anyone ordered one of the stereo pokey boards from Wolfram recently? Or even heard from him?

I phoned with him 2 days ago, so I'd say he's still alive :-) But I guess he might be busy writing the logic for the new Super Speedy upgrade, as I'm busy programming the logic for the new Turbo-Freezer :-)

BTW: did you send him a PM or an email? His t-online email address is working.

so long,

Hias

Hate to bump this up, but has anyone ordered one of the stereo pokey boards from Wolfram recently? Or even heard from him?

I phoned with him 2 days ago, so I'd say he's still alive :-) But I guess he might be busy writing the logic for the new Super Speedy upgrade, as I'm busy programming the logic for the new Turbo-Freezer :-)

BTW: did you send him a PM or an email? His t-online email address is working.

so long,

Hias

Hello i need more info about the new super speedy (1050) and yours turbo freezer :) .

gr. marco

Hello i need more info about the new super speedy (1050) and yours turbo freezer :) .

OK, here's the current status of our projects:

The new Super Speedy upgrade is in early development stage, we plan to implement Super Speedy, Happy 1050 and 1050 Turbo plus stock 1050 mode in a single upgrade. Priority is set on Super Speedy, i.e. 192k additional RAM in the floppy and 100% Super Speedy compatibility, so you can copy floppy disks without needing to transfer data via SIO (all internal to the floppy). Current plan is to use 512k flash and 512k RAM with the possibility to re-flash the floppy ROM. Ah, yes, and a mode-select switch for 16 different (sub-)modes/ROMs.

Current state of the new freezer is: basic (old) Freezer functionality seems to be working fine (just finished the logic today :-), still need a lot of testing. Not 100% sure if we will use 512k or 1MB of flash. Current prototype is equipped with 1MB RAM, our plan is to use 512k for Freezer/CartEmu and 512k for a ramdisk (standard PORTB, bit 7-5 and 3,2 for bank, bit 4 enable). Ramdisk seems to be working fine, again, some more testing is needed :-)

so long,

Hias

Hi Folks,

i made a new very small and good sounding Stereo Extension for the Ataris!

stereo-top.jpg

Have a look at here:

Stereo Englisch

or in German:

Stereo German

regards,

Wolfram

It would be very cool to have audio input into this board... I read the specs and If I'm not mistaken, it doesn't... Is there any chance of getting stereo input into it? I don't know much (or anything at all) about electronics, so I ask...

Also, I would love to get at least one of this boards.

It would be very cool to have audio input into this board...

That's not the intention of this board as it's an audio player upgrade (output). If you want audio input, you need a sampler (A/D converter).

Technically, sampling is possible with a PoKey but the quality will be much too low. Sampling hardware usually connects to the cartridge port. A 4-bit A/D converter allows sampling in a format that can be re-played on Atari without the need of any external hardware. Samples done with an 8-bit A/D converter can only be played when using additional D/A hardware.

Thanks for the reply. Do you know how can I find that cartridge that does a/d conversion ?

Thanks

It would be very cool to have audio input into this board...

That's not the intention of this board as it's an audio player upgrade (output). If you want audio input, you need a sampler (A/D converter).

Technically, sampling is possible with a PoKey but the quality will be much too low. Sampling hardware usually connects to the cartridge port. A 4-bit A/D converter allows sampling in a format that can be re-played on Atari without the need of any external hardware. Samples done with an 8-bit A/D converter can only be played when using additional D/A hardware.

Thanks for the reply. Do you know how can I find that cartridge that does a/d conversion ?

This is not the thread for this but here's an (incomplete) list of samplers:

http://www.atarimania.com/faq-atari-400-800-xl-xe-what-sound-digitizers-samplers-were-produced-for-the-atari_52.html

All of these are out of production but there are a few (a lot?) of these in the wild.

This is not the thread for this but here's an (incomplete) list of samplers:

http://www.atarimania.com/faq-atari-400-800-xl-xe-what-sound-digitizers-samplers-were-produced-for-the-atari_52.html

All of these are out of production but there are a few (a lot?) of these in the wild.

you are right... I have created a dedicated thread for this.

http://www.atariage.com/forums/topic/177535-atari-analog-input-ad-converter/

thanks

• 5 months later...

Yeah I could have done it differently, but thats exactly the look I was after, believe it or not.. This is my original 800XL from 1984, and I didnt want some anachronistic control scheme. Notice the labels are printed with an ATARI..

It's meant to look "Old School- all the way"..

I had actually replaced the top case half with a nice prestine one a few years ago, and I went back to the original "worn" one when I installed these expansions, because I like the "battle scarred" look.. A couple of those holes were already there, from when I had installed a color adjustment knob and a Bob Wooley "Freezer" style cold-start button, when I was a kid..

The texture is actually worn off the plastic in front of the keyboard where my hands rest when typing.. Ive got more hours coding on this machine, back in the day, than any other computer Ive ever used..