IGNORED

SSGC #3 DSAPSC

marc.hull

Damn slick XB game ! Excellent work !

Here is another. It plays OK on my TI but my copy of Cl99 was returning bogus key values. The joystick (arrows) are affecting the CALL KEY value. Most likely something I have done but would someone verify this.

Eh, when I was trying to make a crosshair shooter for this compo I had the exact same problem. The smallest of test program behaved very strange. So I did the joystick only Sniffer instead.

100 call joyst(1,x,y)

110 call key(0,k,s)

120 print k,s

130 goto 100

Try look at the s value returned. Try tapping a key a bit.

:?

Edited by sometimes99er

This is my test program (similar to Sometimes):

10 CALL JOYST(1,X,Y)
20 CALL KEY(0,K,S)
30 PRINT X;Y;K;S
40 GOTO 10

I can't make the joystick (X and Y) affect the keyboard output (K and S) with Joystick 1 configured as keyboard.

Perhaps you can tell me what version of Classic99 you have (to be sure) and what you actually see in your test program?

This is the way it is supposed to work:

Normally, the arrow keys map to FCTN E/S/D/X, and Tab maps to FCTN-7. However, when you scan the joystick pin, if they joystick is configured to use the keyboard, Classic99 turns those keys off and dedicates them to the joystick for 2-3 seconds. Thus, if a program keeps scanning the joystick, they should not respond as keys. But if a program stops scanning the joystick, they revert back to keyboard use again. This does not happen if you are using a real PC joystick instead.

That functionality is relatively new, so maybe it's broken. But in TI BASIC that test program appears to do the right thing for me?

Hmm... in studying it a bit closer, though, I do see different behavior in the S variable return when joysticks are included as when they are not. K appears to always be correct, and moving the joystick seems to have no impact, but S doesn't behave the same way. It should be 0 when no key is pressed (always true), 1 when a key is first pressed, and -1 if the same key is pressed as last call. The 1 and -1 don't behave predictably if the CALL JOYST is in the loop.

This seems unlikely to be a Classic99 bug, though.. has anyone tried it on the real hardware? I'm at work at the moment and they still haven't let me set up a 4A in my cube. ;) Maybe you've found a KSCAN bug...

This is my test program (similar to Sometimes):

10 CALL JOYST(1,X,Y)
20 CALL KEY(0,K,S)
30 PRINT X;Y;K;S
40 GOTO 10

I can't make the joystick (X and Y) affect the keyboard output (K and S) with Joystick 1 configured as keyboard.

Perhaps you can tell me what version of Classic99 you have (to be sure) and what you actually see in your test program?

This is the way it is supposed to work:

Normally, the arrow keys map to FCTN E/S/D/X, and Tab maps to FCTN-7. However, when you scan the joystick pin, if they joystick is configured to use the keyboard, Classic99 turns those keys off and dedicates them to the joystick for 2-3 seconds. Thus, if a program keeps scanning the joystick, they should not respond as keys. But if a program stops scanning the joystick, they revert back to keyboard use again. This does not happen if you are using a real PC joystick instead.

That functionality is relatively new, so maybe it's broken. But in TI BASIC that test program appears to do the right thing for me?

Hmm... in studying it a bit closer, though, I do see different behavior in the S variable return when joysticks are included as when they are not. K appears to always be correct, and moving the joystick seems to have no impact, but S doesn't behave the same way. It should be 0 when no key is pressed (always true), 1 when a key is first pressed, and -1 if the same key is pressed as last call. The 1 and -1 don't behave predictably if the CALL JOYST is in the loop.

This seems unlikely to be a Classic99 bug, though.. has anyone tried it on the real hardware? I'm at work at the moment and they still haven't let me set up a 4A in my cube. ;) Maybe you've found a KSCAN bug...

I am using version QI320 (from your help/about screen)... It's old but the newer version won't run correctly on this POS computer in my office.

The program was written and developed on a TI99 and I did not notice this problem until I tested it today on afore said 2001 HP crap grinder so it is most likely an issue with an older version or this grey turd isn't configured correctly or is missing something. At any rate... If it works for you then that's good enough. Like I said.... It works fine on the real deal and I have MASSIVE XB burn-out and don't feel much like investigation white elephants today ;-)

Marc

I just tried it on real hardware using XB. For 5 minutes I mashed keys and moved the joystick around. I could do nothing to get one device to affect the other. If I quit mashing key the K and S went to -1 and 0 respectively. And if I let go of the joystick, X and Y went to 0 and 0. Holding keys, moving the joystick, then releasing the keys did not cause any problems with the result of S.

The only weird thing with S was that, more times than not it would return -1 when I pressed a key. Even with the CALL JOYST out of the program. I could get -1 by rapidly hitting a key, but I could also get 0 by rapidly hitting a key due to XB not being fast enough to detect the keystroke. I suspect the -1 is due to having to hold long enough for XB to detect it that KSCAN has already seen the key more than once.

Either way, the joystick did not affect the keyboard on the real machine, and the response of CALL KEY alone was pretty much the same as when the CALL JOYST was in the loop.

Matthew

Can someone show me exactly what they see on the emulator that's wrong?

As I noted, I can't reproduce it. My real TI shows the same results as Classic99 does.

If you are running a older version of Classic99 that doesn't have the joystick lockout feature, of course, all bets are off. It affects the keyboard because you are pressing a keyboard key. Use a real joystick to avoid the problem there (or turn off the PS/2 extension in Classic99.ini).

I am using version QI320 (from your help/about screen)... It's old but the newer version won't run correctly on this POS computer in my office.

No wonder you think I have nothing implemented in my emulator.. that version is almost a year old. Why doesn't the new version run? It still runs on Win98 (or at least is supposed to).

You're missing so many fixes it isn't even funny.. but if the newer versions don't work I'd like to know why.

Same strange "status" effects with both Basic and XB and also MESS. Thought it might be the slow scroll, but using call clear and display at 1 thru 24 has the same effect.

It was the problem above that made me abandon a combo shooter "project" (well a 2-3 hour thingy). :)

No wonder you think I have nothing implemented in my emulator.. that version is almost a year old. Why doesn't the new version run? It still runs on Win98 (or at least is supposed to).

You're missing so many fixes it isn't even funny.. but if the newer versions don't work I'd like to know why.

Clarification needed..... The new Cl99 runs great on the machine at the house. On my office machine it runs incredibly slow but that is due to the machine. I would replace my office machine but it has some design software that is critical and very expensive to transfer to a new computer so I'll keep it until the license runs out in a year or so and then upgrade machines....

To clarify.... The game works without a problem on the new CL99. On the older version call joyst seemed to be effecting call key with bad results.... At any rate all seems OK now so I won't worry about it..

As far as missing fixes.... story of my life. I seem to always be about 1 to 2 years behind the trend (or in the case of TI about 25 years ;-)

Marc, so you do the programming on the real hardware. But how do you do the graphics - both sprite, character and screen layout ? Do you use graph paper or ? Very curious !

:cool:

I have a little pixel draw program for characters and sprites that prints to my Epson DMP. Screens are just made on the fly and seem to evolve as time progresses. What really makes programming on the TI bearable is Mike's PS/2 keyboard adapter,my Frankenstein console and a RAM Disk.

Clarification needed..... The new Cl99 runs great on the machine at the house. On my office machine it runs incredibly slow but that is due to the machine.

If the old version runs well and the new version runs slowly, the only place that is likely at fault is the audio system. Options->Audio. Just make sure the SID card is off (very CPU intensive) and set the audio sampling rate back down to 22050Hz -- that's what the old version ran at. Hell, kick it down to 11025Hz if you still need some performance back. Nothing else in there should be taking more CPU than the old version.

If the old version runs well and the new version runs slowly, the only place that is likely at fault is the audio system. Options->Audio. Just make sure the SID card is off (very CPU intensive) and set the audio sampling rate back down to 22050Hz -- that's what the old version ran at. Hell, kick it down to 11025Hz if you still need some performance back. Nothing else in there should be taking more CPU than the old version.

Thanks for the tip. :)

Edited by sometimes99er

Clarification needed..... The new Cl99 runs great on the machine at the house. On my office machine it runs incredibly slow but that is due to the machine.

Seeing as my office computer doesn't have speakers hooked up....... ;-) Thanks Mikey !