IGNORED

You Promised Scans and Didn't Deliver!

Philflound

I'm having a discussion with Rom about scans. I just acquired some items we didn't have scans of and just sent him the ones I got. We're very displeased with the Atari community about empty promises. Over the past few years, Rom and I have been putting together databases for the Atari community to use. We've asked the community to help us acquire scans for cartridges and boxes, and maybe even manuals for his site. We thank those who have helped us. But there were several members on here who had promised to get us scans and never got them to us. We can understand that life gets busy, HOW I KNOW IT!, but some of these promises were made over 2 years ago.

We know that most of what has been documented as variations is owned by at least 1 member of this community. If everyone who has these unscanned items could buckle down and take a day or two of their busy schedule to produce scans, our databases would be 99% complete.

So we're pleading with those of you who own things that we do not have pictures of. Please help us out to give the community a strong, visual documentation of our hobby. AA's pictures are very sparse and usually only cover 1 or 2 versions of a game.

Thanks to those who have helped and thanks if you help in the future.

Phil

• Like 2

So you're hoping to shame people into scanning things for you? Let me know how that works out for you.

If I made posts like this over every broken promise that has been made to me over prototypes I'd have to have my own forum.

Tempest

• Like 21

So you're hoping to shame people into scanning things for you? Let me know how that works out for you.

If I made posts like this over every broken promise that has been made to me over prototypes I'd have to have my own forum.

Tempest

:lol: +1 for that!

and

what he said

↓↓↓↓↓

• Like 2

Well, it would be nice for people to stand by their word. Part of problems with society today. I didn't name any names. Heck if I can remember those who made the promises, but you never know. Maybe this will be a reminder, which is more of my intention than shame.

Phil

Well, it would be nice for people to stand by their word. Part of problems with society today. I didn't name any names. Heck if I can remember those who made the promises, but you never know. Maybe this will be a reminder, which is more of my intention than shame.

Phil

That's fair, I can understand that but you might want to reword your first post. It sounds a bit... whiny...

Tempest

• Like 1

Oh, well. Then I sound whiny. Don't think it will help or hurt either way how I word it. Either people are going to help or they're not. I'm trying to finish up the Intellivision games that I wanted to get done before coming back to the Atari this weekend. Almost done with Auto Racing and need B-17. That was where I originally had stopped the variation list, so I want to get that much done. I'll have my hands full this weekend with that huge box of games I got. I may pop off a good chunk of them for a buck or less. I got 6 Q*berts in the other box and a couple more in this one. Don't need that many for my stock. Plus not all labels are in good shape, so it'd be great for the players out there.

Phil

PS: BTW Tempest, do YOU have any items we don't have scans of? :P

Edited by Philflound

Yes I'm sure I do (8-bit for sure, 2600 probably). If you were closer I'd let you come over and paw through all my label variations one weekend (I have quite a few), but I don't have the time nor energy to scan them all in myself. Shipping them out is also out of the question, as I've lost things that way before.

Tempest

You could always PM the people who forgot. If they're too busy to scan, they're probably too busy to see this thread. Or if they're like me, they probably don't even remember promising anything, so this thread would be useless even if they see it.

• Like 1

If I ever promised a scan, I'd have zero recollection of it by now and would need to be reminded specifically of what it was.

Also, if I ever promised a scan, I lied about having anything worth scanning so don't waste your time reminding me. :D

• Like 1

Well, I for one remember sending a scan of a cart that I found and it not being good enough for the catalog. Then I recall taking the time to rescan and recrop and resend the image...just to receive a thanks in return. icon_thumbsup.gif

I quit bothering to search for items I could scan....I could find items to scan all day since no one has the items I have unless they are me....

Good job taking my pic and not noting who it came from or giving me a gold star....I want my damn recognition....icon_rolleyes.gif

• Like 2

I'm having a discussion with Rom about scans. I just acquired some items we didn't have scans of and just sent him the ones I got. We're very displeased with the Atari community about empty promises. Over the past few years, Rom and I have been putting together databases for the Atari community to use. We've asked the community to help us acquire scans for cartridges and boxes, and maybe even manuals for his site. We thank those who have helped us. But there were several members on here who had promised to get us scans and never got them to us. We can understand that life gets busy, HOW I KNOW IT!, but some of these promises were made over 2 years ago.

We know that most of what has been documented as variations is owned by at least 1 member of this community. If everyone who has these unscanned items could buckle down and take a day or two of their busy schedule to produce scans, our databases would be 99% complete.

So we're pleading with those of you who own things that we do not have pictures of. Please help us out to give the community a strong, visual documentation of our hobby. AA's pictures are very sparse and usually only cover 1 or 2 versions of a game.

Thanks to those who have helped and thanks if you help in the future.

Phil

Phil, with all due respect, but I don't think this is the way to present this matter.

An awful lot of our database scans are selflessly donated by a lot AA members and I'm very grateful for that.

Perhaps not everybody is as fast with donating scans as I am with adding them, but that's not a problem for me.

I learned how to be patient over the years and in most of the cases a promised scan will eventually show up.

And when a lot of time passes by after someone's promise to donate a certain scan, I simply remind that person of it (when I remember the promise myself, that is).

The only thing I don't like is being called a beggar, because that's not what I am.

I'm an archivist who likes to create a central archive of something he's very interested in and then share this archive with people (collectors, fans, newcomers, veterans, etc.) who are also interested in that same thing.

And of course I can't do this on my own by just collecting boxes and carts myself and then make scans of it.

I don't have the money nor the space to collect 10.000 different VCS carts and even if I did, I don't think I would spent it on VCS stuff (which, believe me, is a lucky thing for die hard VCS cart collectors).

That said, I truly hope that collectors of the real thing will keep respecting the efforts of archivists like Phil and me and that they will keep helping us filling up the gaps in the databases in order to create an as fully documented video game history chapter as is humanly possible.

8)

Edited by Rom Hunter
  • Like 4

I haven't promised scans, but I did promise some games dumps a year ago and I delivered. When I posted the files, I was bombarded with "Can you put it in this format" or "can you put it in that format". I spent close to 40 hours getting everything dumped and documented, then getting copies of every single one of those games posted on here.

I hope the first post doesn't have anything to do with that. If it does, then excuse me for not bowing to each individual desire.

This is precisely why when someone asks what kind of rare stuff everyone has, I don't brag about prototypes and one of a kind items in my collection. It might also by why there are some things out there that haven't been scanned, dumped, or released to the community.

When I do come across something rare, I'm more than willing to share it, but threads like this show up, it makes me think twice about telling anyone at all.

Some folks are going to disagree with me on this. Go ahead and waste your energy--it won't change my mind at all.

All Phil has done is politely ask a select group of people to please follow through on getting him some scans.

Try yelling "You promised sex and didn't deliver!" at your wife or girlfriend, then ask her if she thought you were being polite. :D

• Like 3

Honestly people, what's the big deal here?

All Phil has done is politely ask a select group of people to please follow through on getting him some scans. Why must everyone act so put upon and defensive about it?

It's not like he's not demanding your spare kidney. :?

Well at least he's not asking me to spare a square because I don't have a square to spare.