IGNORED

You Promised Scans and Didn't Deliver!

Philflound

All Phil has done is politely ask a select group of people to please follow through on getting him some scans.

Try yelling "You promised sex and didn't deliver!" at your wife or girlfriend, then ask her if she thought you were being polite. :D

I tried that. My wife just responded with "I tried but you got scared when I put on the strap-on."

• Like 3

It's just that even if you only tell a few people about something, word still gets out that you have it, then you get one or two folks who get down right nasty with you over how it's dumped. For crying out loud, it's a 2600 game. If it doesn't load in z26 or Stella, play it on your 2600! Wanna know if it's different from the released version? Play it! Let the people who know how to hack up the files work with it to see if there are differences in the code, and leave the person who dumped it alone!

If I offer a scan or dump to someone, then I am ready for them to ask me to do it a certain way. If I can do that, I will, if not, I tell them the best way I can do the job. If they still want the scan or dump, then I make it for them.

What I do not like is after that's all done and the person is happy, I get other people telling me I should have done it a different way, then demanding that I go back and do it their way. Sorry, they aren't the one who asked me to dump the stuff (or whom I offered the scans to), they're just on my blank about it so much that I finally agree just to get it off my chest. Then there's a thread like this posted, and even though it's from someone whom I've never dealt with at all (beyond the public forums here), it's enough to make a person see absolute red.

Most of the folks with whom I've dealt regarding unreleased and/or undiscovered stuff seem to me to be quite happy to have it. It's just a few that ruined it for me. Granted, maybe that wasn't the intent, or they didn't intend to sound pushy or nasty, but sometimes it's hard to convey emotions over the net, and there's no way to hear the tone of voice they'd use if they were in person. If one isn't careful, a nice comment could turn into an ugly remark once it's typed into the browser window.

Words to the wise: Often times when I read on here about people pushing prototype or rare items owners to dump or scan them, there's quite a bit of disagreement about it. I know I sound harsh about this, but I feel like for everything I did, more was wanted, and when I did more, even more was wanted. I'll dump your games, I'll scan your manuals, and I'll post 'em online for everyone to enjoy, but that's it.

Edited by shadow460

So you're hoping to shame people into scanning things for you? Let me know how that works out for you.

If I made posts like this over every broken promise that has been made to me over prototypes I'd have to have my own forum.

Tempest

Agreed. I've lost count of all the people that promised manual scans and then disappeared or just stopped responding to PMs... But there is nothing you can do about it and complaining does not help. If the person changed their mind, it's over. Eventually someone else will come along who will scan it. I know, I have been working on the Atari 2600 manual collection for years. Hell, over 6 months ago I had 2 people promise to scan Eli's Ladder "when I get a chance"...I haven't heard from either one in a long time. Oh well, no biggie, someone will do it eventually.

Over the past few years, Rom and I have been putting together databases for the Atari community to use.

Where will this database eventually end up for the good of the Atari and Intellivision communities? AA, or another site?

As for the OP, I can understand both sides. People who make promises need to follow through, plain and simple. I agree with you about society in general having a good portion of people not holding true to their word. I could preach a sermon on that and the scriptural relevance thereof. As far as the perception of nagging and whining: Its a no-win situation. People who are responsible types will follow through and yet some will accuse you of nagging and whining. Mostly, I have learned to be happy with those who help out even in the slightest.

Over the past few years, Rom and I have been putting together databases for the Atari community to use.

Where will this database eventually end up for the good of the Atari and Intellivision communities? AA, or another site?

As for the OP, I can understand both sides. People who make promises need to follow through, plain and simple. I agree with you about society in general having a good portion of people not holding true to their word. I could preach a sermon on that and the scriptural relevance thereof. As far as the perception of nagging and whining: Its a no-win situation. People who are responsible types will follow through and yet some will accuse you of nagging and whining. Mostly, I have learned to be happy with those who help out even in the slightest.

Well, I only ask for label/cart and box scans, no dumps, so I don't hound people for that. I also haven't personally hounded anyone, because I'm not out to embarrass any particular individual. This is sort of an open reminder, and by the responses I'm getting, it seems that people are paying attention to it.

I also don't ask for anyone to POST their scans on here. In fact, I've said numerous times to email them to me. I don't disclose personal info, and mentioned in the beginning of the document that there were too many people who helped with the giant list and that I wasn't going to mention any names in it. The only people I've sited is Rom, Atari Guide, Atari Age, and Staberinde, since I used all 4 sites extensively to acquire many of the scans I have. I don't personally put any watermarks on the scans, even if I did scan the item myself. Again, this was to be used for all. If I take a scan and it has a watermark, I'd rather have something than nothing for the collectors to see.

As for where the site is, it's actually on AA's database. At least mine is. Albert was kind enough to provide me the space. As a return, I promised not to post any sale items using his space. In fact, I don't even believe I link my personal site to the variation site at all. I didn't feel it was right. I wanted the site to be for informational purposes only.

I do love debate. Though it seems that I'm being called a whiner, or a flamer, and I don't think I'm either. Rom mentioned that maybe this wasn't the way to go, but it did wake up some people to the fact that maybe they can help, or were the ones who promised and will come through. I guess we'll see as time goes by.

If you want to help, then great. If you don't, I don't and won't send PMs to each of you begging for scans. Maybe I shouldn't have used the word plead, because I'm not going to lose sleep if people don't help. I've spent thousands, YES THOUSANDS, of hours of my personal time over the years updating the list, taking over the list, changing the list, and making sure the list is accurate with photos. If people can't spend a dozen or so hours to help me out, that's their choice.

Phil

If you want to help, then great. If you don't, I don't and won't send PMs to each of you begging for scans.

For the record: I was not aware of any of this until this thread, so I was not one who ever promised scans, nor anything else, for this database. I have my own similar project I am working on, linked in my signature. FYI.

If you want to help, then great. If you don't, I don't and won't send PMs to each of you begging for scans.

For the record: I was not aware of any of this until this thread, so I was not one who ever promised scans, nor anything else, for this database. I have my own similar project I am working on, linked in my signature. FYI.

TZ, I don't expect newer AA members to even know what I'm talking about. I've been working on this list with photos now probably a good 4+ years. At first I was just collecting scans and marking in the giant list that I had a scan of the variation. I said that anyone who'd like to see such scan could contact me and I'd send them the scans. About 2 1/2 years ago, I began collaboration with someone on AA about making a site. He was going to do the work, and I dumped all my scans to his web server. But nothing happened on his end. Somehow I got talking to Albert and he offered to host it for me. I purchased the domain names. This was 1 1/2 years ago when I started the photo site project. I worked on it for several months, then got side tracked with my teaching job at the time and it got put on hold. Since I haven't been working since the summer, I got back to going die hard on it. It's come a LONG way in the past 8 months.

It needs more work, even if I get all the 3rd party companies up. I want to add the New Zealand variations, and also need to get many of the German versions of Parker Brothers added. I also added all the CBS titles from Coleco that were never in the original list. In fact, the original list didn't contain any PAL carts whatsoever. I have not added much in the way of PAL, but felt that any company that produced games in the US, I would show all other games by that company, even if they were foreign. This is where Rom's site and Staberinde's comes in handy. They have many games I would never have gotten my hands on in my lifetime.

This is also the reason why I've asked for help from the community. I don't know if I'll ever get rare variations in person, and I certainly am not going to get many of the foreign variations in person. Boxes are even tougher. If you can help me out, I'd appreciate it. You can look at the list on the photo site. Anything with a * next to it, I have the photo, even if it's not up on the site yet because I haven't gotten to that company. If there is no *, I need the scans.

Phil

(*waiting for Shawn*)

I'm here, but I'm not gonna be providing the soapbox speech this time. I've said enough about scans for a long while. No point in repeating the obvious solution to getting a picture of something over and over.

Really sad statement for this site that a moderator posts threads belittling people like that. Albert should do better.

Oh, oops, will I get locked out of this thread like happened one time before from this moderator for my standing up to Wgungfu (read favored one) for ridiculous comments he made toward me?

Really sad statement for this site that a moderator posts threads belittling people like that. Albert should do better.

Oh, oops, will I get locked out of this thread like happened one time before from this moderator for my standing up to Wgungfu (read favored one) for ridiculous comments he made toward me?

See my previous post about Butt Paste and Preparation H.

Really sad statement for this site that a moderator posts threads belittling people like that.

I forgot that I am not allowed to have an opinion, especially when it comes to scanning / taking pictures. Sorry about that.

Yeah, Al should ban CPUWIZ for his sarcasm, crappy made boxes, double shrinkwrapped box protectors, big collection, owning a private ban button, leaving his country of origin, beeing the top poster of AA, drinking beer, having sex and flirting with Homer!!

Only my 2 1/2 cents!

• Like 2

Moderators should be neutral and non-inflammatory in their posts. Belittling and antagonizing other posters is not the intent or purpose of a moderator. That person should "moderate" the forums, not seek to make fun of, inflame others, or even attempt to inflate one's own image among other posters (as has been done in this thread). Nor should there be favoritism shown no matter how supposedly "important" a role (even though debatable in the case I mentioned) a particular poster played in the history of the thread's topic. A moderator needs to be non-partisan, read here.

If any of this is difficult for said "moderator" to abide by, then that person needs to resign his/her assigned position of authority because he/she has abused said authority and the trust that was granted in awarding that position to begin with. Plain and simple.

Another thing pertinent to this topic: No amount of "double shrinkwrapped box protectors, big collection, beeing the top poster of AA (his misspelling, not mine) automatically qualifies you to be a forum moderator. Just because you happen to be a buddy of Albert and Parrothead's and all of you come from southern California is of no real significance regarding this discussion (get over yourself already).

An expected level of maturity goes along with being a moderator, and if you cannot live up to it, then kindly step down.

Now, for Cebus: If your rectum hurts after my having said these things, I do not apologize in the slightest. Everything I have spoken is true. Again: Albert needs to do better.

I would venture to say that moderators like CPUWIZ, and "revered" posters like Wgungfu are actually running decent people away from Atari Age rather than helping to draw them in. Probably not Albert's intent in running this site.

Edited by tz101
  • Like 2

Another thing pertinent to this topic: No amount of "double shrinkwrapped box protectors, big collection, beeing the top poster of AA (his misspelling, not mine) automatically qualifies you to be a forum moderator. Just because you happen to be a buddy of Albert and Parrothead's and all of you come from southern California is of no real significance regarding this discussion (get over yourself already).

I think that Phil cand stand CPUWIZ´ sarcasm very well like we all do. You are taking something too serious here................. ;)

Moderators should be neutral and non-inflammatory in their posts. Belittling and antagonizing other posters is not the intent or purpose of a moderator.

Thank you for telling us how to do our jobs. We're so lucky to have a wise member like you here on AA. There's just so much we can learn from you.

I would venture to say that moderators like CPUWIZ, and "revered" posters like Wgungfu are actually running decent people away from Atari Age rather than helping to draw them in. Probably not Albert's intent in running this site.

Oh you mean someone who has a long history in the gaming community and a amazing record of contributing things vs a no name member whose only contribution seems to be trying to antagonize the moderators and other members? Gee who would be considered more damaging to the site? Hmm... that's a toughie alright.

Going by other forums on the Internet, I thought a moderator was supposed to be a touchy, biased, cliquey douchebag with a God complex? Where did this neutral, mature stuff come from?

We live to please.

Tempest

• Like 3

Moderators should be neutral and non-inflammatory in their posts. Belittling and antagonizing other posters is not the intent or purpose of a moderator. That person should "moderate" the forums, not seek to make fun of, inflame others, or even attempt to inflate one's own image among other posters (as has been done in this thread). Nor should there be favoritism shown no matter how supposedly "important" a role (even though debatable in the case I mentioned) a particular poster played in the history of the thread's topic. A moderator needs to be non-partisan, read here.

If any of this is difficult for said "moderator" to abide by, then that person needs to resign his/her assigned position of authority because he/she has abused said authority and the trust that was granted in awarding that position to begin with. Plain and simple.

An expected level of maturity goes along with being a moderator, and if you cannot live up to it, then kindly step down.

Now, for Cebus: If your rectum hurts after my having said these things, I do not apologize in the slightest. Everything I have spoken is true. Again: Albert needs to do better.

Oh man, I am sorry I wasted so much time defending door checkers in your previous topic, I see now that you just like to complain and fight about stuff that is just pointless. Seriously dude, all he did was post a pic of the worlds smallest violin, have you ever heard of razzing your friends, poking a little fun at someone, it's something people do and it is normal. He didn't tackle him and steal his lunch money, he just razzed him a little. Get the stick out of your butt and have a little fun. You will make a lot more friends that way.

• Like 2

My Grandfather always had a phrase he liked to use whenever someone said "now where was I" and then got indignant when telling a story, unable to recount what it was about.

"If you can't remember what you were talking about, how the heck am I supposed to know?"

:D

The point is, if you can't recall who/what/where/when just ask for help. Chances are that people just forgot. I'm #1 at forgetting stuff like this. I've got a big heart and don't mine helping out. In my older age, my heart is unfortunately bigger than my short term memory.

:D

AX

Now, for Cebus: If your rectum hurts after my having said these things, I do not apologize in the slightest.

My rectum never hurt, but I bet yours is practically bleeding right now.

On a more serious note: If you're just going to consistently whine and complain about the people who run the website (and this isn't the FIRST time you've done it), why the hell are you even here in the first place? If you think Albert does such a horrible, terrible, no good, very bad job running the site and you could just do OH SO MUCH BETTER that you feel the need to impart us all with your glorious wisdom of the intertubes, we all welcome you to go start your own Atari-related website and run it how you see fit.

If you don't like how things work around here, you don't have to be here.

• Like 2

Cebus, yah, that's the way you would like it. Anyone who doesn't agree with childish posts either likes it or gets out. Not gonna happen, butt-hurt boy. Now go put a band aid on those hemmorhoids. My rectum never hurt and I do not take offense that some don't agree with my viewpoints. Its just the way the world works.

Crazy Climber, oh no, you wasted time on one of my previous threads. Label me what you want, but my main goal in life is not to gripe and complain. I just do not like to see moderators antagonizing forum posters, and it is not right. I happen to speak out against injustice and you do not like it. Get over it.

Tempest, sorry to have stepped on your moderator toes. I have been around this site long enough to see that the forum bully I named does more antagonizing than anything. If you cannot do your job and ask him to cease the bullying, then that is a sad statement about even your moderator abilities. Too bad the person has a long rep of "a amazing record of contributing things" while I am a "no name". Doesn't hurt my feelings, but you are obviously wrong in your judgments. No one has the right to put down another on any forum, including former employees of Atari. Its the truth and you will have to deal with it. Oh, and by the way, it looks like Random Terrain agrees with me on more than one of my points.

So go ahead now. I've done nothing but tell you all the truth , and if it hurts your feelings, then so be it. You read the posted definition of a moderator, straight from Merriam Webster's dictionary. I didn't write it, just interpreted it.

Cyber-bullies don't like to be told, and I've had to tell a few.

• Like 2

Well, keep it up and I'm sure they'll help you out the door. Just sayin'.

I'm just going to go ahead and click on 'ignore user'. I'd suggest that if you have a problem with anyone on this website you'd do the same, because it will save you a lot of trouble. Of course you can't ignore moderators, but that's sort of the point.

I love how you 'don't take offense' but you're the only person in here who is throwing a tantrum? :roll:

Ignored user added.

• Like 1