in8regs

Game port prospect: Acorn Electron's Gunsmoke.

Here is GUNSMOKE running normally, followed by GUNSMOKE running in Extended BASIC but loading the screen, colors, and character definitions using compressed DATA statements.

The original XB program uses 10899 bytes of memory; the XB program using compressed DATA statements needs just 2152 bytes of memory.

Note that the original program is running in CPU overdrive, while the compressed version is running at normal XB speed.

N.B. This is not compiled!

(Edit) - I omitted CALL SCREEN(1), so the border is not black on the compressed version.

GUNSMOKE.gif

Edited by senior_falcon
  • Like 5

I got the same problem of course and old under the word SHERIFF there were some other missing chars but running the expoert with Exclude Blank Chars and and in the Options I set Super Charater set evething was fine...

Finaly I got the right game screen...

Please find enclose the export (size: 12665) 

Little question : for the sprites definition no way to get the code ans for the map ? I copied manually each definition of the 16x16 ...

with XB256 I need to define the sprites as in XB but using CALL LINK("CHAR2",x,y) ? 

gunsmoke_sprites_XB256_orig1.xb

Little question : for the sprites definition no way to get the code ans for the map ? I copied manually each definition of the 16x16 ...

with XB256 I need to define the sprites as in XB but using CALL LINK("CHAR2",x,y) ? 

With XB256 sprites are created exactly the same as when using standard XB. CALL CHAR is used to define the pattern of a sprite. You can use characters from 32 to 143.

CALL LINK("CHAR2") is to define the characters in screen2, not the sprites.

Edited by senior_falcon
  • Like 1