IGNORED

Mockup screenshots

Pacfan97

• 2 months later...

Heres what I believe Motos would be like on a 7800.

Nope! Don't agree. Your mock-up has the following problems :-

1) It doesn't use a palette that exists on the 7800.

2) Its 320 pixels across but has too many horizontal colours changes for any MARIA 320 mode. So lets assume you really mean 160A or 160B.

3) There are 9 colours in the background image making it 160B. The red and blue balls use 6 colours each, also making them 160B. If the background is full screen width 160B you won't be able to have many 160B sprites in the same zone before MARIA stops drawing them.

4) The foreground sprites have more than 12 colours. The blue and red balls use 12 colours in total therefore using all the colours available in the palette. You couldn't do the red/grey spaceship colours in that palette (0 colours free) and there aren't enough free colours in the background's palette either (9 colours used and 4 required).

• Like 6

Are these even his screenshots? There is little doubt in my mind that Pacfan stole them from somewhere.

All he did was cut and paste some things around to make a level intro screen for mario bros.

The Motos Screenshot looks like it's from the X68000 version with some minor color changes.

Are these even his screenshots? There is little doubt in my mind that Pacfan stole them from somewhere.

All he did was cut and paste some things around to make a level intro screen for mario bros.

The Motos Screenshot looks like it's from the X68000 version with some minor color changes.

ALRIGHT!!!!!icon_thumbsdown.gif

All I need is the 7800 pallette. What will Motos and Mario Bros. Arcade really will look like on a 7800? icon_thumbsup.gif

iSUCK

All I need is the 7800 pallette. What will Motos and Mario Bros. Arcade really will look like on a 7800?

You also need to understand what resolutions are available, how sprites use the palettes available, colour ordering in the palettes, sprite colour depths, transparency, how indirect mode is handled, how colours can be increased with software help etc.

There is no real point making mock-ups of games that can never be programmed. I'm not saying that I'm going to program any of your game "mock-ups" but they might provide inspiration to other programmers.

• Like 1

I think the mockup screenshots are just for fun. I do them myself as a hobby.

To me, part of the challenge in creating game mock-ups is the technical aspects involved with making it look like it could be a screenshot from the "real" game running in the emulator. If you don't know what the machine can do, its better to learn and then you can see how far the machine could go.

• Like 3

I think it might be a good idea to explain what these modes can do and what are the limitations. I myself have a rather vague idea on what the 7800 can do.

The best place to start would be to read the following manuals :-

http://www.atarimuseum.com/ahs_archives/archives/pdf/videogames/7800/gcc1702b_maria_specs.pdf

http://www.atarimuseum.com/ahs_archives/archives/pdf/videogames/7800/7800_software.pdf

http://www.atarimuseum.com/ahs_archives/archives/pdf/videogames/7800/maria-2_handy_hints.pdf

And then ask questions in the programmers forum.