IGNORED

Everon Lynx?

coyo5050

I believe this is one of the Lynx units retailers had on display in constant "attract mode" with Blue Lightning to draw attention to the Lynx.It should also have an EPROM or gold label version of BL,an adapter,and a plexiglas(s) base in neon orange or clear.Toys R Us used these, I know for sure.Atari started offering these to retailers in 1990.They aren't real common.

I believe this is one of the Lynx units retailers had on display in constant "attract mode" with Blue Lightning to draw attention to the Lynx.It should also have an EPROM or gold label version of BL,an adapter,and a plexiglas(s) base in neon orange or clear.Toys R Us used these, I know for sure.Atari started offering these to retailers in 1990.They aren't real common.

I am the person that won this item and I am not sure it is the real deal. I powered it up and the buttons all work. From what I have read they are not supposed to work at all. Also the on button works and again I read that it was supposed to be light sensitive and turn on automatically when the store's lights would turn on in the morning so the retailers would not forget to turn on the system. Please let me know if I am wrong. The serial numbers on the box match the ones on the system.

I am the person that won this item and I am not sure it is the real deal. I powered it up and the buttons all work. From what I have read they are not supposed to work at all. Also the on button works and again I read that it was supposed to be light sensitive and turn on automatically when the store's lights would turn on in the morning so the retailers would not forget to turn on the system. Please let me know if I am wrong. The serial numbers on the box match the ones on the system.

Is this true?! I haven't heard of this before (I'm not an expert at the kiosk type of displays though). However, if the above description is true, I want one of those suckers! :lust:

Is this true?! I haven't heard of this before (I'm not an expert at the kiosk type of displays though). However, if the above description is true, I want one of those suckers! :lust:

I seriously considered bidding on this but my bad luck with bad Lynx II units turned me off. Plus I had no idea what it really was just compelled to want it, lol.

I seriously considered bidding on this but my bad luck with bad Lynx II units turned me off. Plus I had no idea what it really was just compelled to want it, lol.

Here is a link to what I found on the net. It was the only information I could find and it made me purchase the system. If you search for "everon" on the page it will take you right to the information or for those who don't know how to do that it is about %25 of the way down from the top.

http://www.atariarchives.org/cfn/12/03/0055.php

So it looks like it's not supposed to be photo-sensitive, just that the power button is shorted to be "on" all the time, so when the store turns on their lights (and displays and whatever else electric they turn on), the Lynx will be on automatically.

That is what I took from the information but that is not what I got in the auction I won. I don't know which one to believe the site or the auction that I won.

If I believe the seller then I have to assume that this lynx is just made to last longer and handle more abuse than normal production lynx's and the old information in the link is wrong.

If I believe the site then the person that sold it to me either slapped a sticker on a regular lynx box to make it look like a rare item or bought it from some one who made the same mistake I did.

I know I am relatively new to this site but I have been playing the lynx since it came out and I have accumulated nearly every non protoype/homebrew game ever made in new condition. I would appreciate any help I can get with this.

P.S. you can navigate through that link I gave you and find some other information about the lynx. Here is something I found. You may already be familiar with this

http://www.atariarchives.org/cfn/

When Atari discovered that the chain stores we're not too good at keepingthe Lynx turned on and "playing" something in their stores, Atarimanufactured specially designed "EVERON" Lynx systems. The systems had theon/off button shorted out so that the system would automatically come onwhen the stores lights were turned on each day in the morning.

I believe that all to be total crap. They are the same Lynx's as any other with no special power button and no extra durability and DEFINTELY no photo-sensitivity.

When Atari discovered that the chain stores we're not too good at keepingthe Lynx turned on and "playing" something in their stores, Atarimanufactured specially designed "EVERON" Lynx systems. The systems had theon/off button shorted out so that the system would automatically come onwhen the stores lights were turned on each day in the morning.

I believe that all to be total crap. They are the same Lynx's as any other with no special power button and no extra durability and DEFINTELY no photo-sensitivity.

Tom-Lynx is right.

There isn't one that comes on when the 'lights turn on at the store'

The system has just been altered to always be on. Comes with a powerpack and the Blue Lightning Demo.

All I know is the box has a sticker on it that says EVERON and the sticker appears to have aged similarly to the box. Also the serial numbers on the system match the ones on the box. I am just curious to find out if I truly bought a display model lynx or if I was slightly ripped off.

• 3 weeks later...

All I know is the box has a sticker on it that says EVERON and the sticker appears to have aged similarly to the box. Also the serial numbers on the system match the ones on the box. I am just curious to find out if I truly bought a display model lynx or if I was slightly ripped off.

I think you should just take pleasure in an unusual box find (rare in itself) rather than attempting to solve what's probably an unsolveable mystery. FWIW, some of the early Model I "demo" models that I saw in use were painted blue or grey instead of the standard Lynx black, and they were actually available here and there on eBay about up until about eight years ago. Atari Canada actually brought such a unit to the one of the Toronto Atari Federation's meetings in '90 or so, along with a gold "Blue Lightning Demo", but it had to be turned on. I ended up with that demo card since no one else (all ST enthusiasts) wanted it. All that doesn't mean that you don't have a display model, though, as I doubt Atari had anything like a coherent marketing plan for the Lynx after the "Mark II" Lynx was introduced, and there's no reason to think (or prove) that you don't have one. :)

• 11 years later...

Nothing like attempting to resurrect an old thread. I missed out on nabbing one of these about 3-4 years ago. Now it has become quite the quest for me to find one. This photo from a previous Classic Gaming Expo shows they are out there (in some degree of abundance apparently).   

cge2k3_dr_bandc_lynx_wall-570.jpg

• Like 1

On 3/25/2010 at 7:54 AM, SamSneed said:

Here is a link to what I found on the net. It was the only information I could find and it made me purchase the system. If you search for "everon" on the page it will take you right to the information or for those who don't know how to do that it is about %25 of the way down from the top.

http://www.atariarchives.org/cfn/12/03/0055.php

I saw this thread and was just about to mention that I first heard about the EVERON system when I emailed Atari (25 years ago next month…) because I was looking for games for my old lynx, and got a response with a “fire sale”. But I see it’s recorded for posterity on that link. 

I printed out the email and stuck it in an Atari binder that I bought in that sale (Along with APB, Chips Challenge, PacLand, Pinball Jam, and California Games). I just pulled out my lynx and 2600 after years and decided to get them running again. Funny to see that discussion right after getting started again and just joining up atariage.

3F939412-7234-441C-9A06-04D8A92A1DD4.thumb.jpeg.1e21203fd738d665da7de19c80bf8197.jpeg

09BB621E-1C4E-4E22-9140-AD28BA821F88.jpeg

21AC8679-7901-4EF4-A5BE-609120720594.jpeg

73088663-84D7-4C33-9CFD-0D47476D5C65.jpeg

Edited by mwyounce