IGNORED

SimpleStereo v3 and IO-Board

candle

Hi Candle,

do you know the "Gravis Ultrasound MAX" ISA soundcard for PC systems? It has 1 MByte sample memory and the BEST d/a converter ever produced for PCs. A lot of sounds (MOD, S3M) made by the genuine Amiga ProTracker or ScreamTracker sounds better than on an original Amiga...

So I have only one simple wish: Make a GUS MAX for our little Atari :grin:

Jurgen

• 2 weeks later...

don't know how much, i belive it would be close to 95%, maybe more

main diffrence is that the output is linear, so if you're going to combine channels to play samples at higher precision (higher than 4 bits that is), normally you would do that through a look-up table to get to desired levels, here this is not needed

for casual gamer, or generally person not trained in music art it won't be distigushable between real and fpga one

and when compared using oscilloscope, fpga pokey is few cycles behing when compared with original one, but waveforms are identical

• 8 months later...
  • 2 years later...

this is not FPGA, but quite large CPLD chip (Lattice MachXO2 with 1200LE) and no external memory interface

SID is quite big compared to POKEY - it requires 800-900LE compared to 260LE for POKEY chip, plus there are other things i would like to have inside it

SoundBoard project is not cancelled if this what you're asking Robert, it's at stall, since i don't know if there is any real intrest in this, and i'm delaying making demo video untill i have mod player plaing nicely (some effects are not implemented, others are implemented wrong way around, and there is lots of .mod file variations to make matters even worse)

I would also like to get one or two and do some testing.

Thanks Stephen J. Carden

http://www.realdos.net

• 4 years later...