IGNORED

Pac-Man is the worst game!

Tanman

It's really not a fun game. It's buggy. It's basically a repeat of Superman. It only basically follows the license. It was a lot worse than they could have done, even in the early 80s. I got tired of trying to get out of holes...

Ok it's not really a whole lot of fun. That is pretty much true. The whole game is looking in the pits for stuff.

However I can't think of any glaring glitches or bugs in the game that were obvious in normal play. How is it buggy? If you're talking about getting out the holes, it's of course very easy if you just play the game a little to figure it out (i.e: Don't push UP. Push straight left, right, or down once outside).

Anyone who has problems getting out of the holes in E.T. simply hasn't figured it out and obviously hasn't played it much. :P

You would run on the screen with the big building and mysteriously fall into a hole with no reason. You would end up going between screens for no reason. Sometimes you would get in a hole loop where you would go out, fall in, go out, fall in. There were graphics glitches, etc. It was a mess.

Oops...I thought you were referring to Pac.

Anyway, the only bug that bothered me in ET was trying to get a damn human OFF the landing screen. They always seemed to get stuck on the lower border at the wrong times. I know now (from these forums) that it only happens because another human is trying to go UP into the forest from the screen below.

I just didn't find the game to be much fun...expecting something more along the lines of RotLA. 6+1 screens isn't much of an adventure.

Especially when it reeked of the same gameplay you got in Superman. It just wasn't original at all and it was a big disappointment.

With all that said, Pac-Man sucks for the 2600 and so does E.T.

Why E.T.? The game is above average for an 2600 game at the very least, maybe you could put it into an even higher "upper 20%" or something.

I thought by now most people (who are familiar with the 2600 themselves, and not just from hearsay) realized that. If anything, the problem was with target demographics... it was bought a lot for very young kids who couldn't understand the game, while the game is more suited for older kids and adults.

It's really not a fun game. It's buggy.

In E.T.'s defense, lots of 2600 games are buggy, infact Adventure one of the fan favorites is flickery and buggy a lot more then E.T. is.

So, I agree with you Herb. it's maybe not above average due to the fact "its failed more then succeeded", but it deserves an around average game rating.

I never had a real problem with playing E.T. I knew exactly what to do with reading the manual. But if you find the game fun or not that's up to the gamer, I myself 'like it' because it's a nice randomized puzzle game, and it never gets old for me.

I'm still surprised how E.T. and Superman are considered bad, but Adventure is one the best... I don't see that much of a gap between them.

I don't think E.T. is much like Superman. That's like saying, oh! Haunted House is just Adventure redone in the dark.

Edited by JacobZu7zu7

I've played both games back in way-back. While I didn't care for either game, I've definitely played far worse.

This is definitely a dead horse that doesn't need more beatings.

LOL... I know,

'put the whip down, he ain't no runnin'.

I agree. I played both in the late 80's when I was a kid...

Pac-man seemed quite dull. But I actually thought E.T. was fun,

it was a sign... ! I did just fine getting out of the wishin' wells...

the problem I had was that officer and doctor takin stuff and not knowing where I was going

as the forests screen looked, a lot the same.

people should have known they have a 2600 and not SNES. You aren't gonna get

a perfectly made Zelda game. It's just E.T. nothin more nothin' less.

The vibe behind Pac-man and E.T. seems to gotten worse with the Internet rants.

Jumpin on the WHIPPIN WAGON are they?! :P

Times were so different back then in terms of producing a blockbuster video game... Today it's the equivalent of a blockbuster film with a team of programmers, artists, etc. costing millions of dollars. Back then they gave one programmer several weeks to pump out a game.

As a kid I always thought the sound effect of Pac-Man eating a ghost sounded like "Bite some more!". So the whole soundtrack was (starting with a new game) "Doo deee dooo dee! (new game) dun dun dun dun (eating "wafers"), booop! (eating a "power pill") peeooo peeeooo peeeooo (sound of power pill in effect) Bite some more! peeeooo Bite some more! Bite some more! peeooo, dun dun dun dun (power pill loses effect, back to eating wafers)"

How was my onomatopoeia? Was it okay? :)

The first LoZ should be possible to do on the 2600. There's no elements that aren't present in some old-era games...and the flags that would dictate item inventory and level progression would be minimal.

I gotta throw in the double-:? :? for the comment about bugs in Adventure tho (aside from selecting an umcompletable game by chance and a couple of tricks you can do with dragons, there's no ingame bugs that I'm aware of).

And again for the previous comment about how ET was like Superman :? :?

If it had been, I probably would have liked it more. The low number of screens was my major gripe with it...an aspect that doesn't fit so well into the genre.

I liked E.T. but I could only complete it on level 3. The low number of screens never bothered me because I still managed to lose things or get lost myself.

Granted, it's no Raiders of the Lost Ark (try the freeware PC game, Raiders of the Pharaoh's Tomb, if you like RotLA).

Of course, I also like Airlock so I'm probably in the minority.

This thread is still going? ... even with my snarky comments. One more try to kill the thread.

Hitler really liked Pac-man for the 2600.

If you are going to use Godwin's law, you have to compare Pac-Man to Hitler and the Nazis, not just say he liked something. For example, instead of saying:

Hitler really liked Pac-Man for the 2600.

You have to say:

The reason Pac-Man destroyed the 2600 is the same reason that the Nazis and Hitler destroyed Germany: They got too confident and made stupid mistakes that eventually led to their destruction.

There, now Godwin's law has been taken care of, Kibo will come and pick off any stragglers, and we can all go on our merry ways =)

I gotta throw in the double-:? :? for the comment about bugs in Adventure tho (aside from selecting an umcompletable game by chance and a couple of tricks you can do with dragons, there's no ingame bugs that I'm aware of).

And again for the previous comment about how ET was like Superman :? :?

If it had been, I probably would have liked it more. The low number of screens was my major gripe with it...an aspect that doesn't fit so well into the genre.

In Adventure, I had more mishaps happen to me then E.T., When I first started to play Adventure on Diff. 3... I reset 2 or 3 times because my game couldn't be finished (stuck in the castle gate twice) or some strange thing that can't be explained. I have it all written down, but I think those who have played Adventure know it already.

E.T. the bugs are there, but not that many.

I remember getting stuck between two screens on E.T.... but just move the joystick and get unstuck in 3 seconds. At times an authority captures E.T. and gets stuck taking you back to the Lab.. but that also fixes itself. Doesn't effect me. Gettin outta the wells is tricky but just move the joystick left and don't hit fire, till you're out.

On my own, without any tips I could get outta the wells, I dunno why gamers don't just use game skills to manuver around or outta the wells. The phone pieces are only about 4 so it can be done... it's not like swordquest fireworld where you gotta catch knifes and dodge salamanders... just to find a few items you have no idea or any help where they could go. E.T. has the (?) symbol which lets you know what well has a phone piece in it.

This just shows the differences between our countries.

Pacman is shoved down the throats of the US prior to launch.

In the UK (Scotland) I was oblivious to "hype".

Usually the first sight of a new game was when it was actually on the shelves! :)

Pac-Man the worse 2600 game?, i don't know about that.I can think of at least 10 others that are much less playable and horrible to look at than Pac-Man.In all honesty, its really irrelevant and pointless stating which game is crap or great.This sort of thing is all a matter of taste.I personally quite like 2600 Pac-Man.

Edited by Rik

The reason Pac-Man destroyed the 2600 is the same reason that the Nazis and Hitler destroyed Germany: They got too confident and made stupid mistakes that eventually led to their destruction.

Pac-Man got too confident and made stupid mistakes that led to his destruction?!?

All the Crystal Meth the Nazis did didn't help either.

Pac-Man got too confident and made stupid mistakes that led to his destruction?!?

Please elaborate. I have never read anything about Nazis using using meth.

Please elaborate. I have never read anything about Nazis using using meth.

Google it"nazis and crystal meth"Hitler and his scientists invented other potent forms of it.It's not something they'll teach you in history class ;)

Edited by Rik