IGNORED

Nintendo Plans 3-D Hand-Held

pboland

My wife is laughing at me, because my initial response, and I'm sure RT will feel the same is "God, I hope I can see it." I struggle with 3d.

Those were my thoughts as well since I'm legally blind in one eye and can't see in 3d.

Me too. Apparently it doesn't take galsses, so there is a chance for us. Apparently, the stats I have read are that between people with "one eye" problems (like lazy eye, missing eye, bad eye, etc.) and people who get physically ill from the 3D effect, there is about 10% of the population you lose right off the top with goofy glasses 3D. Add in the 5% or so of glasses wearers who find it difficult, people who think the "detached from backgropund cardboard-like effect sucks, people who think the galsses are just too idiotic, etc. and you're looking at a maximum market size of about 85% of the population for goofy glasses 3D, no matter what you do.

If ANYONE can come up with a better alternative, they have a potential market size that automatically includes an extra 15% of everyone on Earth. That is a huge market advantage.

Well looks like I'm shit out of luck cause I'm color blind and 3D is something I've never been good with seeing. Any 3D comics or gaming devices just look like a blur to me. Here's hoping it's a form of 3D not tried as of yet that us folks with vision color dificancies can see properly.

I'm double out of luck normally, because I'm mostly blind in one eye, and colour blind, but from the looks of things we're not out of luck here.

The timing is almost guaranteed to make the DSi XL Nintendo's next GameBoy Micro.

I dunno about that. I just saw the Nintendo DS XL in a store today and maaaaaan that thing looks hot! I never even thought of getting a DS til now.

I never really was interested in the GBA until I saw a Micro for only $50 (new) towards the end of the GBA life cycle. I'm not entirely sure how much the Micro initially sold for, but at $50 I was more than happy to take a flyer on it and I was quite happy with the purchase.

Seeing that the DSiXL is retailing at $189, it would have to fall quite a bit to that "Game Boy Micro" stage. I think we might have a ways to go before we see a $50 DS of any type sold at retail stores.

Why don't they go back to the Gameboy line i mean come on now is the perfect opportunity to drop this DS rubbish call it the Gameboy 3D not the nintendo 3DS!?

-Darren-

Yeah, I know. What company in its right mind continues to use a brand name it has established over 6 years that is tied to one of the most profitable products in home electronics history. What they need to do is try to revive an old and out-dated brand name, from a different type of product.

Let's see what the Gameboy line implies: 1 screen, Gameboy backward compatability, no touch screen.

Let's see what the DS line impies: 2 screens, potentially no Gameboy BC, touch screen.

Clearly they should try to confuse the market by reviving a name brand they already ended, to tie it to a product it is not suited for. Then, they could call it the Gameboy poop, just to make sure it is as appealing to consumers as possible.

The Gameboy name was on the verge of starting to hobble them before they got rid of it. As gamers get older (on the average) and more l33t (read: stupid and dumb), they are far less likely to buy a product named "Gameboy." PSP is not a problem. i-Pod is techy enough sounding. Gameboy sounds like a children's toy. Me, I buy Sonic the Hedgehog comic books (Archie brand comics still use real comic book paper!), so it bothers me none at all. But then, I'm not the average gamer (i.e. a chav).

Well looks like I'm shit out of luck cause I'm color blind and 3D is something I've never been good with seeing. Any 3D comics or gaming devices just look like a blur to me. Here's hoping it's a form of 3D not tried as of yet that us folks with vision color dificancies can see properly.

I'm double out of luck normally, because I'm mostly blind in one eye, and colour blind, but from the looks of things we're not out of luck here.

I think you will be out of luck. All the glasses-less technology still is based on the 2 eye bit. Whether it be camera tracking on your eye to change cones in the LCD, or like the DS the film on the screen itself, you still need two working eyes to get the effect. If you want proof in the pudding, cameras represent "one eye" as it's only one lense, not two. No 3D technology out there can be recorded with a camera, which basically simulates your one working eye. I'd think that means you're pretty much out of luck :(

I think you will be out of luck. All the glasses-less technology still is based on the 2 eye bit. Whether it be camera tracking on your eye to change cones in the LCD, or like the DS the film on the screen itself, you still need two working eyes to get the effect. If you want proof in the pudding, cameras represent "one eye" as it's only one lense, not two. No 3D technology out there can be recorded with a camera, which basically simulates your one working eye. I'd think that means you're pretty much out of luck :(

I'm hoping even if the 3d effect makes it unplayable for people like Atarifever and myself (Have a lazy eye that went undetected until I was a teenager when it was too late to effectively treat, so I can't see in 3d), that they have a 2d mode that can be turned on.

Edited by Atariboy

Why don't they go back to the Gameboy line i mean come on now is the perfect opportunity to drop this DS rubbish call it the Gameboy 3D not the nintendo 3DS!?

-Darren-

Yeah, I know. What company in its right mind continues to use a brand name it has established over 6 years that is tied to one of the most profitable products in home electronics history. What they need to do is try to revive an old and out-dated brand name, from a different type of product.

Let's see what the Gameboy line implies: 1 screen, Gameboy backward compatability, no touch screen.

Let's see what the DS line impies: 2 screens, potentially no Gameboy BC, touch screen.

Clearly they should try to confuse the market by reviving a name brand they already ended, to tie it to a product it is not suited for. Then, they could call it the Gameboy poop, just to make sure it is as appealing to consumers as possible.

The Gameboy name was on the verge of starting to hobble them before they got rid of it. As gamers get older (on the average) and more l33t (read: stupid and dumb), they are far less likely to buy a product named "Gameboy." PSP is not a problem. i-Pod is techy enough sounding. Gameboy sounds like a children's toy. Me, I buy Sonic the Hedgehog comic books (Archie brand comics still use real comic book paper!), so it bothers me none at all. But then, I'm not the average gamer (i.e. a chav).

My point is that by the time they annouced the DS Gameboy was already a well established and household name.

Darren

I don't know, a lot of the "features" of the DS are neither wanted, or needed. Looking at my collection of DS games, all the ones I play the most, use all it's features the least (with only one exception, Brainage) The New DS's subtracted even the GBA support, and that just tears it (while I said "the DS games I played the most", that was of DS games, not implying DS games are what I play the most on it :P )

As for people who can't see 3D because of whatever, fi you can't see 3D IRL, it won't matter what the system does, ALL forms of 3D assume that you're going to use some sort of binocular vision, and if yours doesn't work, you're SOL.

Edited by Video

I don't know, a lot of the "features" of the DS are neither wanted, or needed. Looking at my collection of DS games, all the ones I play the most, use all it's features the least (with only one exception, Brainage) The New DS's subtracted even the GBA support, and that just tears it (while I said "the DS games I played the most", that was of DS games, not implying DS games are what I play the most on it :P )

As for people who can't see 3D because of whatever, fi you can't see 3D IRL, it won't matter what the system does, ALL forms of 3D assume that you're going to use some sort of binocular vision, and if yours doesn't work, you're SOL.

SOL?

Darren

Shit outa luck? :P I was just saying all forms of 3D use binocular vision (or assume it anyways) and without it, 3D wont' work for you.....Actually, at very close range, a matter of inches, you can do some 3D with a single eye, but you have to have actual 3D (one object physically further than the other) and the ammount of 3d you can detect that way is severly limited.