IGNORED

Game Room

Flojomojo

I love the concept of designing my own virtual arcade.

Too bad it won't launch ... And when it does, I only get to try each game on freeplay ONCE before it asks for a money to replay or buy outright.

I think $3 is steep for a VCS Or intellivision cartridge, let alone for access to a DRM'ed ROM.

Did anyone else get the Game Room to work

Yeah I did the same thing. I snagged two game packs thinking I'd have some free games but apparently, you still have to buy them? I dunno. I played the demo of Crystal Castles, it plays surprisingly well well with the analog joystick. Still, not sure I'd drop any coin to play it again. I had fun decorating the arcade. Maybe if they offer game packs like 5 games for $5 or something like that I'd get into it more.

This would've been much better if they had "blank" arcade machines you could stick your XBLA games into. As it is, I'm not going to spend $3 I don't have on Asteroids or Tempest when I already have them in other forms. There just isn't enough new stuff for it to be compelling to me.

Aslo, note that the $3 is to add it to your collection for use in "your" arcade.. it costs $5 to play it anywhere, including friends' arcades.

What really disturbs me is they offer 1-3 "medals" for each of the games, but don't tell you what the medal requirements are.

Edited by Wntermute

I'm pretty upset with this thing now. I saw the scores on the Yars' Revenge leaderboard and I figured I could get my name on it easily. My TG record is 364,463 Points on Game 2, Difficulty B .. highest leaderboard score as of this writing is 170K. So I use the Token bonus play feature to use 5 of the provided 20 tokens to buy a game session and use the interface to set up the same game variation.

I get about 130K into it and BAM get kicked out of the play session with 4 or 5 lives remaining. I check the leaderboard and I'm nowhere on it, even though the lowest score listed is 94K. Check the friends' leaderboard, no score listed. It didn't even record my game progress one iota.

Do the games reside on your hard drive for Game Room? Or does it download the emulator and rom when you load up a game to play (Seems like the files would be small enough where that may happen)?

I'd like to support the service, but only if the content goes on to the hard drive so you can access it offline or once XBL support ends.

Edited by Atariboy

This thing sucks. Back when I was in high school, I played Shaolin's Road constantly, learning tricks and strategies that would drive my score into the six figure range and beyond. I finished all ten stages and looped back to the beginning, so I'm extremely familiar with the game and its intricacies. Game Room's emulation of Shaolin's Road is terrible... T-E-R-R-I-B-L-E. The game runs at an uneven speed, the sound is interrupted by squawks, and the pixels aren't evenly sized. It was an absolute mess and a real heartache for me... honestly, I'd say that Shaolin's Road on Konami's Nintendo DS collection was better.

Just finished checking this out. Played Crystal Castles first and then Tutankham. Seemed decent enough. Anyone else notice that the bulk of games are Atari? Hard to imagine using it for 2600 games when I can just fire up Stella or the Harmony cart! :D For the arcades, I suppose I could be persuaded to grab a game I cant buy else where like Tutankham (depending on cost). It will be interesting to see how this evolves.

Yeah, I downloaded this thing, too, thinking the Game Packs were some freebies. All I gotta say is...

Fuck this thing. Weeth a steek.

I have all the 2600 and Intellivision games they offer anyway, in their original format, so why exactly would I want to shell out MORE than the actual cartridge would cost for them?

The arcade games, meh. I can play them on MAME anyday, and with XBMC, I can play them with a joypad on my tv if I want.

Disappointing in the extreme. You figure cheapfuck Microsoft would spring for maybe one free game, but NOOOOOO. I just fiddled with it to get a few achievement points, then I'm done with it I think.

Nice enough idea, but I only want the one game - Robotron - and it's not available yet.

This begs the question.... Will games like, robotron, frogger, tempest etc... which were already XBOX Live arcade titles be transferable to the game room. For example, I have frogger and Time Pilot the NAMCO virtual arcade collection and I also have the Konami collection (1&2) discs.

Would be nice to have these in the game room when the disc is in the machine. I hope I don't hav eto buy them again... which I won't.

-Lee

Would be nice to have these in the game room when the disc is in the machine.

-Lee

No the old arcade games you bought off Live won't work in the arcade.

Sucks I know.

Just FYI liveinabin, you can just get Robotron off Live. I think it's 400 points.

I hadn't heard of this Game Room thingy before now, but by all accounts it sounds pretty lame.

Coincidentally, I recently purchased a couple of XBox game compilations, in the hopes that my XBox 360 could take over retro gaming duties from my PlayStation 2. The Atari compilation works just fine (and in beautiful 1080i resolution, to boot), but the Midway compilation fails the backwards compatibility check. I suddenly have to wonder if that was requested by Midway. :)

It kind of sucks right now. The emulation seems a bit off and the pricing is crazy. The worst is that I have quite a bit of a collection already and I can't trasfer any of them here (as already mentioned). I'm pretty much done with it for now.

Mame on the PC (and Xbox) is still king.