IGNORED

Heads up about an auction, and my Reef Store Dream

ryanpg

Hi all,

I'm new to the forum!

I once had read about the game "Chase the Chuck Wagon." It caught my interest, if only because I get a kick out of rare or odd things. I'm not much of a game collector, or really game player even. But my interest and the mental note I took regarding this game, recently paid off.

I was in my local Goodwill, checking out the locked "electronics case," where I occasionally find decently priced old photo equipment. I noticed five clear plastic bags loaded with what appeared to be atari cartridges. I'm a middle school teacher by day, and one of my students loves the old Atari games. The bags were marked $12.50 each, and I thought maybe I'd grab one for him, just for fun.

I noticed a lot of the old classics, defender, space invaders, etc., and then, also a few odd's and ends. Well, lucky for me I knew that unusual Atari games were quite collectible. Not my cup of tea, but I knew others might like them. So I asked to have the case unlocked, and started sorting through. About the third cartridge was Chase the Chuck Wagon. As I said, I remembered that Purina title. Probably from some late night obsessive internetting.

So, now my interest was piqued. I humbly asked the cashier if I could pick 20 or so of my "favorites" and separate them out to two $12.50 bags. "Well, you're not supposed to. But... go ahead," was her response. So any title I had heard of, went back into the glass case. The weirdest and oddest 20 went into my two $12.50 bags.

So, you're all wondering: "what did you get?" Well, there was no Assault, no BMX Airmaster, no River Patrol, but there was:

Deadly Duck

Adventure

Atlantis

Brain Games

Chase the Chuck wagon

circus Atari

Commando Raid

Cosmic Ark

Dragonfire

Fire Fighter

Fire Fly

Freeway

Frogs and Flies

Kool-aid Man

Masters of the Universe the Power of He Man

Oink!

Racquetball

Sorcerer

Star Raiders

Subterranea

Word Zapper

So, all the above came home with me today. :-) Now, as I said, I'm no collector, so "heads up" a couple hours after photographs for posterity, and the ebay ad was posted:

eBay Auction -- Item Number: 2004544385531?ff3=2&pub=5574883395&toolid=10001&campid=5336500554&customid=&item=200454438553&mpt=[CACHEBUSTER]

I tried to not be greedy. The reserve is pretty low, the buy-it-now is for the collector who "must have XXXXX" to complete her collection, and doesn't want to risk getting outbid. I thought you would all enjoy (or resentfully enjoy) this story. And who knows, maybe my find could benefit us both!

Thanks! Ryan

post-25911-126955643108_thumb.jpg

Lol, thanks for the welcome all!

In one thread I've been accused of being greedy for selling 20 games for around $100, rudely "corrected" on my accidental mis-posting, and all around disrespected. With a couple decent responses too. So, yeah. So much for my sharing a (what I though) interesting story and trying to alert you people to a pretty decent opportunity. At least my introduction wasn't completely met with cynicism - one, maybe two people were decent.

So, for the guy's gal's who think I'm greedy, I'll give you an address where you can send in your (rare not "fun to play") games for the student. Now THAT would be a remarkable ending to this story!

Sigh. I'm not a collector, but I love a good find, and I usually appreciate hearing a good "thrift-store find" story too. I now know this forum is not a friendly place for such talk. Forgive me for not seeing the sticky thread, and committing the sin of mis-posting. Hilariously, all the ad-hominem attacks are about me being greedy - yet if I'd posted in the correct forum? Sheesh, a little power is a lot of trouble.

I think I'll be un-subscribing, as soon as I give you guys some time to gather up your copies of Chuck Wagon Chase carts you'll be donating to my student.

Lol, thanks for the welcome all!

In one thread I've been accused of being greedy for selling 20 games for around $100, rudely "corrected" on my accidental mis-posting, and all around disrespected. With a couple decent responses too. So, yeah. So much for my sharing a (what I though) interesting story and trying to alert you people to a pretty decent opportunity. At least my introduction wasn't completely met with cynicism - one, maybe two people were decent.

So, for the guy's gal's who think I'm greedy, I'll give you an address where you can send in your (rare not "fun to play") games for the student. Now THAT would be a remarkable ending to this story!

Sigh. I'm not a collector, but I love a good find, and I usually appreciate hearing a good "thrift-store find" story too. I now know this forum is not a friendly place for such talk. Forgive me for not seeing the sticky thread, and committing the sin of mis-posting. Hilariously, all the ad-hominem attacks are about me being greedy - yet if I'd posted in the correct forum? Sheesh, a little power is a lot of trouble.

I think I'll be un-subscribing, as soon as I give you guys some time to gather up your copies of Chuck Wagon Chase carts you'll be donating to my student.

i enjoyed your story........don't worry about some of the people here....they are upset cause they never find good stuff in the wild.

don't unsubscribe...stick around,it is really a great site :thumbsup:

What did you expect? Back-pat and a cookie? Awww, such a precious little story, now I'm going to buy your stuff when it seems pretty apparent you're really just here to shuck your auction to us?

You said yourself you're "not a collector". You're also "not a game player". Well, the process of elimination tells me your only reason for being here is to list a sale, then. Thanks for your contribution to our community.

+1 for all of you who don't "buy" the story. :thumbsup:

Mamby Pamby. So sorry the internet is mean to you.

• Like 1

It's just sort of strange how your intentions supposedly started out as buying a bunch of games as a nice surprise for a student, then you see the one sort-of-rare cart, and suddenly, you are selling ALL of them? Not giving the student any apparently?

I don't think you've really done all that much wrong, I mean, whatever, who am I to judge... but that part is just a little weird. The story doesn't follow through to any logical conclusion.

By the way, your lot isn't worth anywhere near the $225 buy-it-now price (which you pretty much stated), but it's also barely worth the $75 starting bid. You may sell it for that or more, just because there's a lot of crazy people on ebay, but to most collectors, that's not a steal of a price or anything, just FYI.

If you scroll down to the Spectravideo section, you can see that CTCW has been publicly selling for $64 lately:

http://www.atari2600.com/priceguide/

That's solo loose...in a lot is much cheaper, as you know.

And here was a recent discussion about the "rarity" of the game:

http://www.atariage.com/forums/topic/159443-chase-the-chuckwagon/

BTW, I have nothing to gain by all of this as I already own one CIB:

http://www.atariage.com/forums/topic/134250-urgent-do-you-own-a-copy-of-chase-the-chuckwagon/page__view__findpost__p__1655771

Dude's a school teacher...can't say I blame him for taking an opportunity to supplement his income.

Though, I would be interested to hear if the student in question ultimately got any cartridges after the dealing's all done.

Edited by BigO

Dude's a school teacher...can't say I blame him for taking an opportunity to supplement his income.

Though, I would be interested to hear if the student in question ultimately got any cartridges after the dealing's all done.

Eh, I realized it would be inappropriate for me to show up with a bag of "video games" for just one student. Also, without going too far into it, the students suffer from emotional disorders, I'm sure I'm not the only one here who knows first-hand what monsters things like OCD can create. I thought about anon giving them to his case mgr, but even then, i'd give them space invaders, not "ctcw."

Sometimes u can't do something "nice" because it causes harm - a paradox familiar to teachers and parents. And others too.

Eh, I realized it would be inappropriate for me to show up with a bag of "video games" for just one student. Also, without going too far into it, the students suffer from emotional disorders, I'm sure I'm not the only one here who knows first-hand what monsters things like OCD can create. I thought about anon giving them to his case mgr, but even then, i'd give them space invaders, not "ctcw."

Sometimes u can't do something "nice" because it causes harm - a paradox familiar to teachers and parents. And others too.

So you never intended to give the kid the games in the first place then so cut it with your shit story. You joined AtariAge to pimp the auction and thats it. Well you have pimped your $65 dollar game that your trying to sell for $225. Good for you. Now fuck off and don't come back.

• Like 4

So you never intended to give the kid the games in the first place then so cut it with your shit story. You joined AtariAge to pimp the auction and thats it. Well you have pimped your $65 dollar game that your trying to sell for $225. Good for you. Now fuck off and don't come back.

You guessed it. Gotta be a pretty sharp stick to guess my secret motive when I posted "Heads up about an auction" was actually to give you a "heads up about an auction."

+1 :)

Probably my last post. Here's my thinking about the pricing:

Chuck Wagon about $50

Maybe four other's like Subterranea and Atlantis = $5 each

Then the remaining 15 for around $2 each

So that got me to about where I ended up. Without being intimately familiar with this "community" (and now obviously not wanting to be), it seemed like a pretty good package. I guess I could have squeezed out a couple more bucks by parting it up, but eh, didn't want to put the effort into it. And that was when I had no idea this would be such a rotten experience! Starting to think I should have just left them on the shelf. :-)

If the auction is ridiculously high, it just won't sell. Too bad if that's true, because I won't be back to offer it for less. BUT, I may stop in to post a spiteful video of me smashing them! LOL, just kidding, just kidding.

One last thing, there are two bags left at the Goodwill (just got back from looking for the matching chair-arm-cover I bought), but I think all the games are pretty common. At least it seemed so to me. I didn't think $26 for 20 carts made much sense. But, if any people not offended or offensive, would like me to see if they are still there in the A.M., I would do that and grab them for you. I'm at the Goodwill almost every day it seems! I'd give them to you for what I pay + shipping if you wanted. Since anger and rudeness and intimidation seem to be the rule, maybe there's a way to contact me not through the forum - like PM or something? Or if you're local, it's in northern Illinois.

I'll probably take "Shawn Sr." advice before bed tonight though.

Oh, I do appreciate those people who've been decent to me, a "noob." It really does take courage to risk being targeted yourself, for associating with a target in such a "community." I remember that well from school myself.

-ry

It really is a good community, for the most part. Really. It's just that people tend to not really react well to a first-time poster who is just here to sell some carts. I'm not saying that's right or wrong, it's just sort of the way it tends to be, especially if some people see the story as a bit odd... not saying what you did was wrong, but, some may take it that way.

Good luck to you and your auction. It was definitely a nice find for a thrift store.

BTW, Atlantis is worth about a buck on a good day, not $5.

It really is a good community, for the most part. Really. It's just that people tend to not really react well to a first-time poster who is just here to sell some carts. I'm not saying that's right or wrong, it's just sort of the way it tends to be, especially if some people see the story as a bit odd... not saying what you did was wrong, but, some may take it that way.

Good luck to you and your auction. It was definitely a nice find for a thrift store.

Thanks Mirage. I can understand how it could be *very* frustrating when someone who's not really into a "thing" just shows up thinking they've got "the goods." Since the way I found the site was the "rarity guide" I probably just overestimated the err... commercial aspect of the hobby. People probably love their collections and are maybe not-too-secretly annoyed that I stumbled on to this pile. The only thing I'm close to a "collector" of, is antique pellet guns, and a bit of camera gear. I don't think they can sell pellet guns at the goodwill and the camera stuff is real "hit or miss" so every once in a while I try to expand my horizons.

Re: Atlantis, I thought there was some special appeal to the "nightime" label.

My original Buy it Now was for $125, but not knowing much more than I read on AtariAge in a few hours, I started to second guess myself. What if one of them was some super rare "something." I'll just let the auction run it's course and decide what to do after that.

Thanks again,

-ry

Well, a lot of us immediately get our ire up when someone joins and the first thing they do is post an auction or a sale. One of the most common things we see around here is people who join just to use this website as free adspace for their online stores or eBay stores. They don't ever contribute to anything or even talk to anyone on here aside from their own little "check out my stuff" threads.

A lot of us get really suspicious of members who simply post an auction or a sale without participating in discussions or providing information, etc. because of this. Most of us mean no offense toward you as a person, we're just really wary of people who post sales and then just leave.

True, but the Subterrenea is worth about $20 to 25 so it makes up for that.

Advice to school teacher.

If this does not sell

Sell the Chase The Chuckwagon for a $60 shipped Buy It Now

Sell the Subterrenea for a $25 shipped Buy It Now

Sell the Kool Aid Man, and He Man Masters of the Universe together as one item for a $13 shipped Buy it now

For kicks test out your Atlantis game. If the score is in the 100's then you have a common game, which is 99.99 percent the case.

Sell the 16 other games for about $25 shipped.

True, but the Subterrenea is worth about $20 to 25 so it makes up for that.

Advice to school teacher.

If this does not sell

Sell the Chase The Chuckwagon for a $60 shipped Buy It Now

Sell the Subterrenea for a $25 shipped Buy It Now

Sell the Kool Aid Man, and He Man Masters of the Universe together as one item for a $13 shipped Buy it now

For kicks test out your Atlantis game. If the score is in the 100's then you have a common game, which is 99.99 percent the case.

Sell the 16 other games for about $25 shipped.

Hey, thanks for the advice. Now I'm kinda hoping it doesn't sell! Your method nets me more than my reserve anyway. Eh, really, it's just my ignorance, a passing familiarity with CTCW and only about 3 hours research, mostly here, that got me to those numbers. Seriously though, was I really that far off for an admitted know-nothing about vintage Atari games?

Hopefully, it's somewhat clear that I'm not easily offended - I'm still here talking, right? But wow, I admit, I was (am) pretty stunned by the responses I've gotten. I mean, some of it verges on hatred! But enough talk about it really. Like Cebus said, I'm not going to be a long-time member of this community. I'll stand behind the title of the offending post, it summarizes my intention: to alert you all to an auction (perhaps now I understand somewhat overpriced - maybe), and to share a really (I thought) cool story.

It is interesting that some people picked right up on my conflict over buying the games and giving them to the kid. Maybe that touched a nerve too. Like "hey I'd be really happy to get that stuff." And then getting the carpet yanked out by seeing an ebay ad where I stand to profit (ok, profit $50 anyway).

So, since this thread may be read at some point in the future when I'm not posting anymore, I'll say for posterity, it was worth it to stick around and see some folks being really thoughtful.