IGNORED

If TI had released the SSGC entries...

The Codex

Got to thinking, what would the manuals for some of the SSGC games look like if TI had released them as cartridges back in the day? A few hours with the paint program and these are the results. Haven't done all the entries obviously, so if you want one for your game, drop a message here and post your game in the entry thread.

Fly Guy

post-25494-126956869162_thumb.png

Edited by The Codex

Thanks everyone! Had a lot of fun making these and would be glad to do more if anyone wants one. Now that I've made the template, new box art doesn't take long at all.

It would be fun to try to mock up the Atarisoft boxes as well. I feel pretty confident I could do the overall look, but it would take some actual talent to draw appropriate artwork for each game in the style that appears "under the fold", like on this Dig Dug box.

http://www.mobygames.com/game/ti-994a/dig-dug

This being the AtariAge forum, it would be proper to have some of these though. :)

Edited by The Codex

Very cool! I whipped up a quick Atarisoft box, and solved the "under the fold" art dilemma by using the time-honored web tradition of stealing images from other people's sites. Found a groovy pimp fly from a party rental site. :P

post-25494-126961486474_thumb.png

Edited by The Codex

Very cool! I whipped up a quick Atarisoft box, and solved the "under the fold" art dilemma by using the time-honored web tradition of stealing images from other people's sites. Found a groovy pimp fly from a party rental site. :P

post-25494-126961486474_thumb.png

Very Cool ! You and Karsten are in charge of graphics from the labels/disk sleeves ! Instead of Atari-Soft though how about SSGC-Soft ;-)

I did a bit of negative kerning and reduced the line separation in the "Play the Original..." text block, but yeah, it could be more accurate with a little extra effort. I'm not on my home computer at the moment, so I'm having to make do with a smaller font selection as well, but I think I found some close matches from the available pool. It's easier doing old box art like the TI manuals and Atarisoft packages in that regard, as the number of professional fonts in circulation back then was much lower than nowadays.

Our font choices are very similar. I'm using Rockwell on the "Play the Original..." text as well. The TI 99/4A text in black is Futura XBlk BT, as is the Atarisoft logo at the bottom. The From part of that logo is Futura Lt BT, again the same choice you made. The main game title is Tw Cen MT Condensed Extra Bold, part of a font family which goes by the proper name Twentieth Century. It's a Monotype Corporation font in the OpenType format.