IGNORED

Is it possible to play Game Gear games on the TV?

I have always wanted to see a Game Gear clone that didn't fail so much like the old Game Gears (capacitors dying). If nobody ever makes a clone, all the Game Gear cartridges we collect will become useless and only there to look at. And I am one of the few who collects CIB handheld games as well as console games. I would mostly like a consolized Game Gear or Genesis converter so I could continue to use the cartridges into the future. So far I have bought like 3 used Game Gears and this last one that I have working is showing signs of darkening its video while the sound is still ok. The video capacitor must be failing yet again...

If nobody wanted to consolize it, a portable clone would still be better to use than an original Game Gear unit.

Edited by TheGameCollector

If there is a converter to play SMS games on the GG and a converter to play SMS games on the genesis whats stopping there from being a converter for GG games on the genesis? I think a super gameboy like device would sell well to the retro bums like us.

The GG is based on SMS hardware. The Genesis has the same hardware as the SMS (with of course the extra stuff in it).

Therefore, the Genesis does not have GG based hardware, as the GG is a minor upgrade over the SMS (more colors, sound channels, but a smaller resolution).

Unless it was like a Super Game Boy (having the whole entire system inside the cart), it probably won't happen.

If there is a converter to play SMS games on the GG and a converter to play SMS games on the genesis whats stopping there from being a converter for GG games on the genesis? I think a super gameboy like device would sell well to the retro bums like us.

The GG is based on SMS hardware. The Genesis has the same hardware as the SMS (with of course the extra stuff in it).

Therefore, the Genesis does not have GG based hardware, as the GG is a minor upgrade over the SMS (more colors, sound channels, but a smaller resolution).

Unless it was like a Super Game Boy (having the whole entire system inside the cart), it probably won't happen.

Well that is what we're looking for. Something just like Super Game Boy that has the entire system inside it. It might be a wide or tall cartridge if actual bits of Game Gear hardware were used, but either way it would be worth it if it worked. Game Gear units themselves are not too great in terms of hardware.

I think the best we can probably do for now is to have GG roms (and emulator, if it's a good accurate one) on a GBA flashcart of some kind; can all 300ish GG roms fit on one flashcart or do you need two?

Well, it depends on the size of the card of course. I have a few of the original EFA-LINKER 512 MegaBIT (64 megabytes) cards. My collection of 160 or so GG Roms is about 52 megs, but I'm not sure if there is really that much space on the card. The other issue is that GBA flash carts are getting a little hard to find aren't they? I bought mine a few years ago cheap from DealExtreme but I don't think they carry them any more.

If you really don't mind emulation, then I'm thinking either a modded Xbox (or Wii, but the Xbox is a lot cheaper) is a better alternative. Gives you a lot more options, and I'm sure the scaling is going to be a lot better too.

Q. Does Wii Virtual Console offer GG games for upload?

It says it does, but I haven't seen any GG uploads yet. All the versions so far are SMS versions.

And no, roms defeat the purpose of what we're wishing for. We can already run the roms on a modded PSP. I'm talking about using parts to custom make it so we can use the actual cartridges to play off of. That way Game Gear games don't all get thrown away and become some super rarity in the future.

It says it does, but I haven't seen any GG uploads yet. All the versions so far are SMS versions.

And no, roms defeat the purpose of what we're wishing for. We can already run the roms on a modded PSP. I'm talking about using parts to custom make it so we can use the actual cartridges to play off of. That way Game Gear games don't all get thrown away and become some super rarity in the future.

It will happen. :D

AX

It will happen. :D

AX

post-23192-12892446448_thumb.png

Now here is a mod I would want done for me. He pretty much consolized the thing:

Just replace the capacitors then do these mods to the system. Gotta find someone who knows how to mod for both controller input and video out

Neat as a proof-of-concept, but I'd want to take it a step further. Like said elsewhere, slap it into a console shell and get an external controller.

Not mentioned so far is the Sonic Mega Collection Plus for the PlayStation 2, etc.

This is the only commercial release of a Game Gear emulator (that I am aware of), and it includes a few titles:

* Sonic the Hedgehog

* Sonic Chaos

* Sonic Drift

* Sonic Labyrinth

* Dr. Robotnik's Mean Bean Machine

* Sonic Blast

The graphics look really bad, however. I don't know if this is a function of a poorly programmed emulator or just the significant difference between the Game Gear screen resolution and a TV.

This is the only commercial release of a Game Gear emulator (that I am aware of), and it includes a few titles:

* Sonic the Hedgehog

* Sonic Chaos

* Sonic Drift

* Sonic Labyrinth

* Dr. Robotnik's Mean Bean Machine

* Sonic Blast

The graphics look really bad, however. I don't know if this is a function of a poorly programmed emulator or just the significant difference between the Game Gear screen resolution and a TV.

I'm fairly certain that Sonic 1 and Sonic Chaos on this collection are the Master System versions. I also believe Sonic 2 was included as well, albeit it may have been an unlockable.

Going back to the main topic, I found a hack for it. Unfortunately for american audiences, it's RGB.

http://members.optusnet.com.au/eviltim/ggrgb/ggrgb.html

And a thread about doing it for svideo

http://www.smspower.org/forums/viewtopic.php?t=2539&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=220

As for an attachment, that would have been a good idea for sega to do back in the day.

Going back to the main topic, I found a hack for it. Unfortunately for american audiences, it's RGB.

http://www.smspower.org/forums/viewtopic.php?t=2539&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=220

As for an attachment, that would have been a good idea for sega to do back in the day.

I thought RGB would work on a component in on an HDTV because the colors for that are also coded Red, Green and Blue? Is that true or am I wrong?

I thought RGB would work on a component in on an HDTV because the colors for that are also coded Red, Green and Blue? Is that true or am I wrong?

It's the same thing. People will "try" to explain the "differences" but when it comes to the info going down the wire, it's the same.

• 10 years later...

I've heard someone was trying to make a cartridge for the 32x that lets you play Game Gear games on a 32x.

That would work perfect because the Genesis is not exactly a fragile system.

by the way the reason why I heard it was the 32x and not just a plain old Genesis was because Game Gear has more colors than the possible Genesis color palette.  It's like 4, 096 colors versus 64 colors.

The fact that the Genesis looks so good with only 64 colors shows how well CRT blending looks, and how playing it's on a modern TV just ruins the effect of the Genesis.

28 minutes ago, tripletopper said:

I've heard someone was trying to make a cartridge for the 32x that lets you play Game Gear games on a 32x.

That would work perfect because the Genesis is not exactly a fragile system.

by the way the reason why I heard it was the 32x and not just a plain old Genesis was because Game Gear has more colors than the possible Genesis color palette.  It's like 4, 096 colors versus 64 colors.

The fact that the Genesis looks so good with only 64 colors shows how well CRT blending looks, and how playing it's on a modern TV just ruins the effect of the Genesis.

Necro posting a 10 year old thread. Some people's children... ?

Edited by turboxray

I found this by searching Game Gear on the TV.  I know this is old, but heard since then someone was trying to make 32X Game Hear adapter.

There is one from Hyperkin, but I heard ONLY works for the Hyperkin Retron 5.  It does NOT work with original Genesis hardware.

Just wanted to know what happened to that project.

Heh, retro bump!

Now you could get something like retron5 and there is a "mastersystem" cart that has ports for carts, cards, and gamegear games.  I can't comment on how well it works, but retron has a rather bad rep, so...

to my understanding, the console itself does whatever it does to make gg games work, so unfortunately you can't just buy the adapter and use a stock genesis. Pitty, but it will do master system like the various master gear converters, so depending on what those go for, it could still be worth it for just that.