IGNORED

What kind of RAM upgrades are there for the 800XL

Syfo-Dyas

Now that I see that the 130XE can not be relied upon, I am considering moving my work to th 800XL, but the first thing I need to know is if I can use Lotharek's 1MB SIMM upgrade, of it I need something else?

http://www.mmj.pl/~lotharek/atari/www/1mb.html

His Page Says that The Newest version works with the XL's. I would suggest Emailing him to Confirm this and then ask if you can order one of the new ones.

When In Doubt, Get it from the horses Mouth.

=)

Bump to this thread!

Please post back what you learn about that upgrade.

I think it would be cool to have a "guides" section on the A8 - with all the RAM expansions and other mods consolidated in a "sticky" section or something. There's one for the ST at atari-forums http://www.atari-forum.com/viewforum.php?f=74 and something like that here for A8 would be smashing! I freely admit I am too ignorant to create much content, but next time I do some retard-soldering, I would make some posts about it. Any thoughts?

Please post back what you learn about that upgrade.

I think it would be cool to have a "guides" section on the A8 - with all the RAM expansions and other mods consolidated in a "sticky" section or something. There's one for the ST at atari-forums http://www.atari-for...wforum.php?f=74 and something like that here for A8 would be smashing! I freely admit I am too ignorant to create much content, but next time I do some retard-soldering, I would make some posts about it. Any thoughts?

I have one of Lotharek's early production 1MB XL SIMM upgrades in my 800XL. There's a discussion here which charts my adventures fitting the thing. I think the design has been changed now, and the installation guide should be completed.

The "guides" section is a good idea. I've already attempted to centralize information about A8 compatible LCD TVs, and I'd certainly welcome some stickies or blog posts about various upgrades. Sometimes simple things can be lost in translation, and it's often useful to have a step-by-step account with photographs.

Edited by flashjazzcat

I already own one of Lotharek's latest 1MB expansions, I just didn't see a tutorial for anything but the 130XE's so I presumed it would not work with an 800XL.

This one looks scary, considering I just fried my 130XE. I sorely wish I could pay someone to do this, especially considering a step by step picture guide does not yet exist.

Edited by Syfo-Dyas

I already own one of Lotharek's latest 1MB expansions, I just didn't see a tutorial for anything but the 130XE's so I presumed it would not work with an 800XL.

This one looks scary, considering I just fried my 130XE. I sorely wish I could pay someone to do this, especially considering a step by step picture guide does not yet exist.

As far as I can tell, the XL and XE upgrades are quite different. If you're uncomfortable performing upgrades yourself, I'm certain that a suitably qualified forum member within postal reach would do it for you.

I'm just finished the brand new 320kB RAM expansion for 800XL (and I believe 600XL as well). It requires no solderning, just plug into PBI port and go :) Even better, it can disable and remap the internal 64kB memory, which is very useful if you have Atari with a faulty RAM chips. I'm going to present the first two prototypes at "Atariada" party next month.

I'd assume yours uses D301 shadowing to track which bank should be selected, and Extsel line to disable internal RAM.

According to the VBXE docs, your expansion should work. VBXE has the "A" type cores which is without the Rambo 320 emulation, and it always allows "other" expansions which use Extsel to have precedence for 6502/Antic -> RAM accesses.

I'd assume yours uses D301 shadowing to track which bank should be selected, and Extsel line to disable internal RAM.

Exactly.

According to the VBXE docs, your expansion should work. VBXE has the "A" type cores which is without the Rambo 320 emulation, and it always allows "other" expansions which use Extsel to have precedence for 6502/Antic -> RAM accesses.

Good.

• 3 weeks later...

That's way cool... so how much are these going to cost?

I will do my best to keep the price as low as possible. I hope it will be about 20-25€ for a barebone version, similar to the prototype on the photos, and about 30€ for a version in some nice case :)

I will do my best to keep the price as low as possible. I hope it will be about 20-25€ for a barebone version, similar to the prototype on the photos, and about 30€ for a version in some nice case :)

Wow, that could make my PAL 600xl useful. I would be interested in a couple.

Wow, that could make my PAL 600xl useful. I would be interested in a couple.

I would definitely order a few of these for my store here in the US. =)

OK, here we go. Here you can see the new 320XL plug and play RAM expansion plugged into 600XL:

http://krupkaj.ic.cz/showpic.php?show=Atariada2010&obr=8

http://krupkaj.ic.cz/showpic.php?show=Atariada2010&obr=9

I will add some detailed info soon.

Oh wow - finally a good use for the PBI port!

Now I wish I had bought a 1200XL PBI extender!

Great work, I am going to want one for my 800XL. And I expect I will have to take out the Wizztronics expansion that is currently in there.