IGNORED

Eurogamer hates INTV

Today Eurogamer has put up an article about the new XBox360 Game Room feature:

"... I never fathomed - even at the time - why anyone would willingly pay for an Intellivision system, and the fact that arguably the world's worst-ever gaming system has been given pride of place in the Game Room is mystifying.In the future, arcades will be populated by robot slaves.

Seven equally terrible titles make an appearance, and, again, cost the flat rate of 240 Points to actually own. So you have a choice of Space Hawk, Sea Battle, Space Armada, Mountain Madness Super Pro Skiing, Armor Battle, Football, Astrosmash and Sub Hunt, but not one of them is even worth investigating via the demo play.

Perhaps for a laugh you might want to check out Space Armada or Astro Smash to see how bad shooters were back then, or cackle maniacally at the embarrassing Super Pro Skiing. Most likely, you'll fire up something like Sea Battle and stare in mute confusion, wondering what on earth is going on, or stab idiotically at the controls in the hope that something will happen. Is this Microsoft's idea of a joke? 240 Points? Even the most throwaway releases on the Indie Games channel wouldn't dare to charge that.

a_med_4.jpg.jpg All hail the INTELLIVISION. Actually, don't..."

Well, paying too much for a bunch of INTV games is one thing, but to bash the console isn't that nice...

Anyone who thinks the Intellivision is even "arguably" the "world's worst-ever gaming system" probably hasn't actually used very many of the pre-NES systems. Or, heck, some of the post-NES systems.

Many of the Intellivision games were pretty state of the art when they came out. I don't know how they can be mocking it so freely. I wonder if the reviewer had their first introductions to INTV one of those poorly made handhelds which didn't even have the proper sound or background music or all the levels and that is why they hate it so much?

"[T]he fact that arguably the world's worst-ever gaming system [intv] has been given pride of place in the Game Room is...." enough to tell me that Eurogamer is yet another video gaming site not worth my time.

They either don't know the Intellivision or it's only the 2nd video game console they've ever reviewed, after Xbox360.

It's certainly a mean-spirited and ill-informed review. In fairness, though, I can see how that roster of games might be a little uninspiring, as some of them seem like weird choices indeed. Dump Football for World Championship Baseball, Space Armada for Space Battle, and replace four of the others with Thunder Castle, Utopia, Tower of Doom, and Shark! Shark! -- all first-party games with no licensing issues -- and you'd have a better lineup.

I assume they're supplying documentation with these games? Sea Battle would be confusing as heck without some sort of guide. One of the reasons I chose to collect Intellivision is that it really suffers without the original gear, including docs and overlays.

Heh, check out what he writes a couple paragraphs beforehand:

Eight Atari 2600 games make the cut, but out of Adventure, Combat, Outlaw, Millipede, Realsports Tennis, Football, Star Raiders and Yars' Revenge, only the latter even raises a flicker of interest - and that's mainly because of its status as the first psychedelic videogame.

Someone who's completely unmoved by Adventure, Combat, and Outlaw shouldn't write an article with any connection to retrogaming, because they obviously have neither love or knowledge of the subject.

Edited by thegoldenband

This is why most of these morons are just that, morons. James Rolfe, who goes online by the nickname “The Angry VideoGame Nerd” did a 2-parter on INTV/Coleco a while back, and while he gave them a thrashing “in fun”, it was mostly for the controllers (yes those things), and the voices in Bomb Squad. (He actually does a real good mockup of Bomb Squad, actually during the episode). For those wondering about the name of the episode, it was titled “Double Vision”, and the INTV was in part 1 of the 2 parter.

The difference between the moron in question compared to say James, is James actually researches and knows the content before finding a way to humorously make fun of it. After reading the morons post, watch the review, and u’ll definitely notice the difference.

Heh, check out what he writes a couple paragraphs beforehand:

Eight Atari 2600 games make the cut, but out of Adventure, Combat, Outlaw, Millipede, Realsports Tennis, Football, Star Raiders and Yars' Revenge, only the latter even raises a flicker of interest - and that's mainly because of its status as the first psychedelic videogame.

Someone who's completely unmoved by Adventure, Combat, and Outlaw shouldn't write an article with any connection to retrogaming, because they obviously have neither love or knowledge of the subject.

Hmm.. Outlaw, Combat... those games didn't move me. Adventure slightly did...I'd rather go for the Yars' Revenge, Millipede, Star Raiders. But yeah this guy shouldn't be reviewing any games before 1990.

I noticed, lots of people that complain about Intellivision haven't owned the real hardware...

and shouldn't speak up, unless they "OWN" the damn hardware. Otherwise it's just a guess.

For example, Odyssey 2 is much better at home on TV, then on the Emulator even if the games play great on the Emulator.

Hmm.. Outlaw, Combat... those games didn't move me. Adventure slightly did...I'd rather go for the Yars' Revenge, Millipede, Star Raiders. But yeah this guy shouldn't be reviewing any games before 1990.

Yeah, I thought about throwing Star Raiders in there too! It's not that I want to play Combat 24/7, but I don't find it hard to reconnect with how exciting it felt to me as a kid. And actually, I'm not the biggest Adventure fan either, since I didn't grow up with it. But if between all those games he listed, the only flicker of interest he feels is when he can interpret Yars as "the first psychedelic game", then the guy's just not into the aesthetics or gameplay of older games.

Edited by thegoldenband

That is correct.. this actually has lit a burrr in my butt I might have to pull the cam out to actually do REAL REVIEWS lol

We need more Intellivision video reviews out there. I have done a few Youtube videos. Mine are more Gameplay videos than reviews. But i try my best to fill the void for Intellivision videos on Youtube. :cool: