IGNORED

Interest in Atari 2600 Pause Kit

Albert

Atari 2600 Pause Kit  

62 members have voted

1. 1. Are you interested in purchasing one?

• Yes
    • No
  2. 2. How much would you be willing to pay?

• $10
    • $15
    • $20
    • $25
    • $30

• Please sign in to vote in this poll.

CPUWIZ and I are working on making available an Atari 2600 board that allows you to pause any game at any time. The board is based on this design:

http://www.victortrucco.com/Atari/AtariPausa/atariPausa_en.asp

And previously discussed on AtariAge here:

http://www.atariage.com/forums/topic/158589-breaking-news-a-working-pause-button-for-atari-2600

What we'd like to do is offer a kit that includes the board, the parts necessary to assemble it, and instructions. Probably we'd solder the components to the board, and then you'd need to solder the wires to the appropriate places on the 2600 and the Pause board, and then mount a switch somewhere on your 2600. Not a complex mod, but it would require soldering.

Here's a picture of the mod:

2600JrPauseInstallV.jpg

..Al

I don't believe this will work on a Flashback 2 :(

Nope, it won't, since there are no separate TIA & 6507 processors. But I am betting that the FB2 processor has a HALT line of some sort, never looked at one before. Curt?

Seems like a good idea. I might purchase one, but I can't bring myself to modify the shell on my heavy sixer. That's the only 2600 units I have.

Would this cause a 7800 to pause 2600 games, though? I've modded the sense out of my 7800 so I don't mind adding something else to it as long as I can make it look good.

How reliable is it?

I imagine that halting the processors mid-calculation could potentially cause issues.

I'm also wondering what happens at pause time. Does the screen roll?

Or does a "blackscreen ROM" execute?

-John

Someone will correct me if I'm wrong but I believe this started from this thread. And I believe the answer is "colorful patterns".

Someone will correct me if I'm wrong but I believe this started from this thread. And I believe the answer is "colorful patterns".

Yes, I linked to that thread in my first post. :)

..Al

:lol: I guess it'd help if I fully read the first post too!

It would be cool to have the ability to pause 2600 games. I'd be interested. Will the board fit in a 2600Jr as well?

The Jr. is pictured in the install picture I created, it is in fact the first model I did, I still need to create similar pics for the other models. :)

It would be cool to have the ability to pause 2600 games. I'd be interested. Will the board fit in a 2600Jr as well?

The Jr. is pictured in the install picture I created, it is in fact the first model I did, I still need to create similar pics for the other models. :)

Excellent!