IGNORED

My Air Raid Auction Update

Tanman

If this is some kind of elaborate joke i will be mad and surprised.I will have been duped by this elaborate scheme!

But remember,this box is connected with the ebay auction that he has up right now.I hope a Fool's plot would not go this far just for a cheap laugh.

the news is making its rounds :)

retro gaming rountable

Edited by revolutionika
  • Like 1

The truth is out there... I want to believe... but the timing is definitely screwy. But I await to be shown this is truly real... not that I'd have the cash to buy it if it was. Actually I would, but it's a question of doing it heh...

The text on the back seems a bit too "engrish" and to see "men-a-vision" printed on a rainbow just makes me chuckle. The edge folds don't seem creased enough, either. But c'mon - the only box ever seen and tomorrow just happens to be April 1st?

I could very well be wrong, but I think it's a hoax.

I'm afraid I'm with you on this, Crunchy.

Especially the text on the back makes me doubtful.

8)

Edited by Rom Hunter

i don't like where the talk in this thread is heading.i am leaning toward a prank now :x

tanman....please say it isnt so

and if this is a prank,does that mean the the air raid cart and the auction for it are fake as well?

i surely hope not

Edited by revolutionika

I'm afraid I'm with you on this, Crunchy.

8)

Have you ever seen a physical 2600 boxed game? ;)

Oh, yes.

And a zillion scans of almost every VCS cart and box type imaginable.

I'm sorry, but I don't buy it before April, 2th yet.

8)

Edited by Rom Hunter

I'm sorry, but I don't buy it.

It's good to be skeptical. I'm reserving judgment until I have an opportunity to inspect the box firsthand. It'll be fairly obvious if this is a "one-off" box that was made recently. Also, if there is more detail in the artwork on the box (likely since it's much larger than the label), someone would have had to basically recreate that artwork from scratch if they wanted to make a fake box. It does also appear to be a die-cut box (as opposed to hand cut). If the box was offset printed (on top of everything else), someone would have gone through a lot of trouble to produce this single box.

..Al

I'm sorry, but I don't buy it.

It's good to be skeptical. I'm reserving judgment until I have an opportunity to inspect the box firsthand. It'll be fairly obvious if this is a "one-off" box that was made recently. Also, if there is more detail in the artwork on the box (likely since it's much larger than the label), someone would have had to basically recreate that artwork from scratch if they wanted to make a fake box. It does also appear to be a die-cut box (as opposed to hand cut). If the box was offset printed (on top of everything else), someone would have gone through a lot of trouble to produce this single box.

..Al

I totally agree with you, Al.

The artwork detail and the printing is very convincing indeed.

But still I remain very doubtful about the total lay-out of this box and the timing of its discovery.

8)

Edited by Rom Hunter

i don't like where the talk in this thread is heading.i am leaning toward a prank now :x

tanman....please say it isnt so

and if this is a prank,does that mean the the air raid cart and the auction for it are fake as well?

i surely hope not

I am not asking everyone to jump into this hook line and sinker. I just ask that everyone hold off for just a bit before passing judgement. Albert is going to check it out and I know you guys will trust his opinion. Also, I know the date sucks, but for the April 1st people, please just wait till the 2nd before writing it off.

I am taking the game to a safe deposit box in a minute so I feel better about giving out information. My name is Tanner and you guys already know I live in Austin. I would not have a problem giving out my phone number to some of the longer members of the website if someone wants to quiz me on the phone. Let me know what else you might want to know about me.

I knew this was going to muck everything up for my current auction, and beleive me, it being over $3500 makes it difficult but the box is real and it needs to be sold with the cartridge. I am going to relist tonight, and provide detailed information to all the current bidders on why it is being relisted.

Thanks everyone!

I'm hardly a expert on these things, but it looks real to me.

Look at the aging on the Tuesday Morning price sticker and the slight wear and tear on the box.

I agree the timing of this is rough. But hopefully when Albert gets the chance to examine this in person it will help to dispell some doubt.

It does seem strange no insructions were included -- never seen a game without instructions. On the other hand, the back of the box seems to indicate what the goal is, and it's not like a complex 2600 game. :)

To the OP -- grats on the find. You DID say that you were digging through all of your boxes to see if you had this (he posted a pic of the other boxes he found also) and 25 + years can do a lot to one person's memory.

Assuming this is real, as I 99.9 percent believe, a complete copy should sell in the tens of thousands range.

Guys, I don't know what else he can DO to prove this is real. He's allready invited anyone to come see it who lives near him, and Albert is taking him up on it. There's plenty of pics with good detail. About the only thing missing at this point is the proof of purchase. :)

i feel better after hearing tanmam's response.

but if this isnt the AA april fools joke..........................then what is :?

the atari pause kit? :P :P :P :P :P

remember the last april fools joke?

pacman jr 7800

My link

Edited by revolutionika

If this is some kind of elaborate joke i will be mad and surprised.I will have been duped by this elaborate scheme!

But remember,this box is connected with the ebay auction that he has up right now.I hope a Fool's plot would not go this far just for a cheap laugh.

the news is making its rounds :)

retro gaming rountable

Someone made a good point on that website about the lotto ticket. I figured it was better to use the same one that I had used in the previous pictures. Just wanted to say it was not to state I had hit the jackpot. It was only for continuity but I can see how it can be spun into other things.

I didn't think you could cancel an eBay auction once there were bids on it.

Awesome find, though!!!! Great-looking cover!!! AND now we know the game was actually called "Air Raid"! From what I've read, even the name of the cartridge was just speculation.

I live in Austin. I don't have the expertise to verify its authenticity, but I'd sure like to see it in person!

Even though you have to sell the box separately, I'd like the person how gets the cartridge to also get the box so that they stay together. It's just the sentimental former history student in me.

Edited by Miss 2600

I have been busy with other things lately and haven't had a chance to visit AtariAge in quite awhile. When I realized that tomorrow was April Fools Day, I had to swing by and see if there was a prank in the works. This is the only thread going that has all the hallmarks - drama, rare item, naysayers, etc. :-)

Whether it is or isn't, this is great entertainment. Look at that Men-A-Vision logo! The text isn't curved enough to match the curve of the rainbow, so it looks crappy, just like a fly-by-night company logo. Intentional? I have no idea. If it is, it's a nice touch.

I'm excited to see how this all turns out.