IGNORED

My Air Raid Auction Update

Tanman

Well, the thing to consider with counterfeit items in the collectible field is how much money is to be made versus how much money is needed to be shelled out to produce the fake items. Baseball cards are the perfect example of massive counterfeits. Coins are another. So if it took a few hundred dollars to create this box, then it would be well worth it if the seller is going to realize many thousands of dollars.

I'm leaning on the side of real, despite all the points I've brought up so far. When I mentioned the registered mark ®, it wasn't just to see if the government had records of the company. It was the fact they didn't put a ® after the other Men-A-Vision mentions. The point being made that the tray holds the cart perfectly also tends me to lean towards being real. I guess we'll tell real soon.

Though this could have been in the works for months, so the April Fool's joke may have been planned for awhile and the whole box thing being perfected as a vintage item over months. Faking age is pretty easy, as shown on Antiques Roadshow many times.

Phil

the text is hardly the issue here.

To me it's by far the biggest issue here.

For a 'debut game' in a full color box, this text contains IMO too many errors.

Errors that are IMO a little bit too well thought out.

In short: I'll await April, 2th.

8)

Edited by Rom Hunter
  • Like 5

So far my only comment is, as of right now, to about 1/3 of the world it is April 1st!

But to me, I have no idea if it looks legit, since it is 1 of 1. So by default it is legit unless another "more legit" is shown. It would have to be proven to be false, not proven to be legit.

And if you already had a cart you wanted to sell, you could in vest a couple thousand to make maybe 2-3 total boxes with vairous wear to be discovered later... I can come up with several different conspiracy theory ideas.

But even if it was a fake, it is out of my price league and concern, but it is of interest to me technically.

Have to say, I believe this is real, everything looks legit to me. Of course Albert checking it out today should be the icing on the cake. I also am very very jealous and if it was mine, I would under no curcumstances sell it, It will only appreciate in price in years to come( unless others are found)

Goodluck Tanner!

I have to say, even if this were fake, where do you really expect anyone to be able to find an aged Tuesday Morning sticker from the 80's that they could peel and press on the box to make it look perfectly legit?

Also, Al said the inside of the box looked aged to. You mean to tell me this guy went through the trouble of aging the box and then printing on it with a something that wasn't even good enough to line everything up?

You guys are cynical. :roll:

Pardon me for throwing gasoline on the fire, and maybe it's been mentioned already, but for a while it was accepted that the actual name of this game was unknown, and people started calling it "Air Raid" only because of the game play and cartridge artwork.

Did that change at some point?

I had a chance to meet Tanner this morning and take a good look at the Air Raid box and cartridge. After doing so, I'm of the opinion this is a legitimate box and that someone is going to be adding a thus far one-of-a-kind box to their collection soon. As valuable as such a box is, it seems unlikely that someone would be able to produce a box of this nature so convincingly without spending a good amount of time and money in doing so.

Everything about the box seems authentic to me, from the chipboard paper stock used, the offset printing, the die-cut nature of the box, the aging of the box interior, the insert with the plastic tray perfectly sized to the cartridge, the horrible typesetting (which would be a lot of work to reproduce digitally!), the "Tuesday the wear of the box, and more. Also, the artwork on the front of the box certainly was not "blown up" from a label scan--as I stated earlier, it would have had to been redrawn from scratch to match the label artwork if this was a fake.

If I had this in my collection I would not doubt its authenticity.

I took quite a few pictures and even some video, which I will post later (I will not be home until later this evening).

..Al

Don't laugh too hard, but what did the box smell like? Both inside and out? A box this old would have that "old box smell" to it. People with original old boxes from this era know what I'm talking about.

Well how cool is this? If it's still real on April 2nd, it will be awesome to see if an Atari game can take over the top spot with the highest price game ever sold at auction.

Vivat Atari!

(Dear wishing fairy, please let this be fur realz!)

Hate to say it kids, but here is my take... Yes the box looks GOD DA**ED REAL! But, gotta be April Fools... Why? Well if you look at the auction, who doesn't post the BOX of all things if you hadn't planned on selling it? No where in his description does it say 'box included' it's assumed. No pics of box, doesn't show 'included' in text. I believe the AUCTION is real where this person really is selling their copy of AIR RAID, but that's it, just the cart. No box. So if you wanted to do an April Fools joke on us unsuspecting fools, no problem, auctions sells just the cart, buyer get's cart, seller get's money, no harm no foul. They covered themselves by NOT saying box included anywhere in the auction. Cmon, we've faked some ccol shit in our days! :) If I had NO IDEA Atariage existed, I would think I was buying ONLY the cartridge, it would be assumed you were getting the 'box' that this person speaks of in the actual auction. That all being said, you get to sell your cart in a legit auction, you can play a GODDA*M good April Fool's prank on all your fellow AA buds, 2 birds, one stone. Hell at the last moment, he could pull the entire auction and just say, 'no longer for sale' and STILL no one is out anything, other than a few blown egos. If this guy REALLY wanted, he's already edited the auction at least twice, he could have said ANYWHERE HE WANTED, BOX INCLUDED. But didn't... Why? That's my 2 cents anyhow. Would love to see it be real just like the rest of you. But for the other '12' owners of this cart, don't feel bad, I'm sure your non box owning ass will still be like everyone else when you wake up in a day or so. Later! - D

Pardon me for throwing gasoline on the fire, and maybe it's been mentioned already, but for a while it was accepted that the actual name of this game was unknown, and people started calling it "Air Raid" only because of the game play and cartridge artwork.

Did that change at some point?

Well, from my limited understanding of the situation, that seems to have been the case. However, after seeing this box, the name came from somewhere else, perhaps a previous owner of the game that lost the box and completely forgot how he knew the name or some crazy River Raid fan who dubbed it Air Raid, or the box is, indeed fake and meant only to raise our hopes of official recognition of the subject.

No idea on my end, however. I'm only in my teen years and hardly understand the rarities/importance behind each of these things, admittedly. *shrug*

The box insert looks alot like the ones Marc Oberhauser has but with a hunk of plastic thrown in to hold the T-handle cart right. It's a little to convienent that he lives in Austin also. Albert has a number of those box inserts from Marc so it's not a far stretch to think this is a setup.

• Like 1

Hate to say it kids, but here is my take... Yes the box looks GOD DA**ED REAL! But, gotta be April Fools... Why? Well if you look at the auction, who doesn't post the BOX of all things if you hadn't planned on selling it? No where in his description does it say 'box included' it's assumed. No pics of box, doesn't show 'included' in text. I believe the AUCTION is real where this person really is selling their copy of AIR RAID, but that's it, just the cart. No box. So if you wanted to do an April Fools joke on us unsuspecting fools, no problem, auctions sells just the cart, buyer get's cart, seller get's money, no harm no foul. They covered themselves by NOT saying box included anywhere in the auction. Cmon, we've faked some ccol shit in our days! :) If I had NO IDEA Atariage existed, I would think I was buying ONLY the cartridge, it would be assumed you were getting the 'box' that this person speaks of in the actual auction. That all being said, you get to sell your cart in a legit auction, you can play a GODDA*M good April Fool's prank on all your fellow AA buds, 2 birds, one stone. Hell at the last moment, he could pull the entire auction and just say, 'no longer for sale' and STILL no one is out anything, other than a few blown egos. If this guy REALLY wanted, he's already edited the auction at least twice, he could have said ANYWHERE HE WANTED, BOX INCLUDED. But didn't... Why? That's my 2 cents anyhow. Would love to see it be real just like the rest of you. But for the other '12' owners of this cart, don't feel bad, I'm sure your non box owning ass will still be like everyone else when you wake up in a day or so. Later! - D

keep up dude, this is going fast!

Hate to say it kids, but here is my take... snip snip

Did you even read the thread? In the original post it states: "I am going to take the auction down and relist it very soon."

*Chuckles* - Ok... Hasn't happened yet? Hmmm... Another thing, the guys lives close to Al and Tempest (well at least the same state) kinda coincidental dontcha think? So Al (God Bless ya buddy!) can verify it? Cmon...