IGNORED

My Air Raid Auction Update

Tanman

The box insert looks alot like the ones Marc Oberhauser has but with a hunk of plastic thrown in to hold the T-handle cart right. It's a little to convienent that he lives in Austin also. Albert has a number of those box inserts from Marc so it's not a far stretch to think this is a setup.

You forgot to mention that Albert was involved in the Jr. Pac-man prototype hoax for the Atari 7800 last year.

That means Albert can't be trusted for sure around April Fools Day when it comes to discoveries.

Edited by 8th lutz
  • Like 2

The box insert looks alot like the ones Marc Oberhauser has but with a hunk of plastic thrown in to hold the T-handle cart right. It's a little to convienent that he lives in Austin also. Albert has a number of those box inserts from Marc so it's not a far stretch to think this is a setup.

You forgot to mention that Albert was involved in the Jr. Pac-man prototype hoax for the Atari 7800 last year.

yep .... what a beautifull marketing scheme ...

1) Albert and AA get a nice feature on the news

2) Tanman gets more attention for his auction and gets a higher price

3) CPU fills all repro pre-orders within a day

:D

Man some of you guys are wayyyy out in space, seriously. Do you know how difficult it would be to produce something like this? And anyone who says "easy" has no background in printing. If the box is fake, then the game must be too, right? Hahaha. Maybe he's been cranking out cartridges in his garage for 20+ years and slowly leaking them into the market. Jeez, I can't believe the conspiracy theories you guys come up with.

Edited by Mad Hatter

Man some of you guys are wayyyy out in space, seriously. Do you know how difficult it would be to reproduce something like this? And anyone who says "easy" has no background in printing. If the box is fake, then the game must be too, right? Hahaha. Maybe he's been cranking out cartridges in his garage for 20+ years and slowly leaking them into the market. Jeez, I can't believe the conspiracy theories you guys come up with.

Says the man named "Mad Hatter".... :ponder: :lol: Just messin' with you. :)

Pardon me for throwing gasoline on the fire, and maybe it's been mentioned already, but for a while it was accepted that the actual name of this game was unknown, and people started calling it "Air Raid" only because of the game play and cartridge artwork.

Did that change at some point?

Well, from my limited understanding of the situation, that seems to have been the case. However, after seeing this box, the name came from somewhere else, perhaps a previous owner of the game that lost the box and completely forgot how he knew the name or some crazy River Raid fan who dubbed it Air Raid, or the box is, indeed fake and meant only to raise our hopes of official recognition of the subject.

I wondered about the name "Air Raid" on the box, too, but Mr. Galaxian pointed out that Terry Rutt stated in an article verifying that Air Raid was the name of the game. It's on page 3 of this thread (sorry, I don't know how to link to specific posts).

Pardon me for throwing gasoline on the fire, and maybe it's been mentioned already, but for a while it was accepted that the actual name of this game was unknown, and people started calling it "Air Raid" only because of the game play and cartridge artwork.

Did that change at some point?

Well, from my limited understanding of the situation, that seems to have been the case. However, after seeing this box, the name came from somewhere else, perhaps a previous owner of the game that lost the box and completely forgot how he knew the name or some crazy River Raid fan who dubbed it Air Raid, or the box is, indeed fake and meant only to raise our hopes of official recognition of the subject.

I wondered about the name "Air Raid" on the box, too, but Mr. Galaxian pointed out that Terry Rutt stated in an article verifying that Air Raid was the name of the game. It's on page 3 of this thread (sorry, I don't know how to link to specific posts).

Click the post # in the top right corner to get a post link.

Hate to say it kids, but here is my take... Yes the box looks GOD DA**ED REAL! But, gotta be April Fools... Why? Well if you look at the auction, who doesn't post the BOX of all things if you hadn't planned on selling it? No where in his description does it say 'box included' it's assumed. No pics of box, doesn't show 'included' in text.

He found the box after the auction was posted and getting bids. I don't think you can change an auction once it starts getting bid, right?

The text on the back seems a bit too "engrish" and to see "men-a-vision" printed on a rainbow just makes me chuckle. The edge folds don't seem creased enough, either. But c'mon - the only box ever seen and tomorrow just happens to be April 1st?

I could very well be wrong, but I think it's a hoax.

I'm afraid I'm with you on this, Crunchy.

Especially the text on the back makes me doubtful.

8)

If this box is legit, then I am certain that this title is not an official Nth American release ;) Air Raid is an illegal hack, no different to the Taiwans, but much more expensive!

Rom, can you be a bit more specific. I havent dug out my Funvision and bitcorp boxes to compare the nature of the text, but know taht a LOT of errors exist on those titles too. So if Air Raid was put together by the same mob that did Bobby Is Going Home, what SPECIFICALLY makes you suspicious on this one?

The irony is that you usually believe and I'm the sceptic. this time its the other way around.

EDIT: Maybe the "Menavision is not affiliated with Atari" seems a bit odd. Usually these pirate hacks make themselves out to be "official" licenced products

(Oh, and this K-Tel artwork too)

--Zero

Those K Tel boxes are so brittle, that its almost impossible to find them in good condition. My copies are probably the best there currently is and would be willing to provide them if people wanted posters. I dont have a good scanner myself, but could go to the effort of locating one if necessary

haha ... i have lots of experience with printing and nowadays printers can print onto any material ... plus laminating is cheap, so u can make some things look better than real ... there is a bunch of photoshop brushes to simulate either offset-rasters or wear .... no big deal ...

haha ... i have lots of experience with printing and nowadays printers can print onto any material ... plus laminating is cheap, so u can make some things look better than real ... there is a bunch of photoshop brushes to simulate either offset-rasters or wear .... no big deal ...

I wouldnt be surprised if ShyOne could come up with something like this ;)

"No big deal", are you kidding me? Well then if that's the case, then this is a PERFECT "hoax" production, down to every minute detail. The picture on the box is better quality than the picture on the cartridge. Let me guess, they could just clean it up with Photoshop, right? If this is a hoax then it would have to come from somone who has extensive expertise in printing, aging and antiquing. Plus the plastic/cardboard which holds the cartridge would have to be specifically manufactured just for this particular game.

I am still a Noob here and knew nothing of the Pac Man Jr for 7800 escapade from last year, I just read through the old thread. I now believe this definately could be some BS from Albert, after reading some history. Albert you will forever be known as "The boy who cried wolf" I hope this is real, but now I am at 50/50. Either way I want a Repro box like that one.

"No big deal", are you kidding me? Well then if that's the case, then this is a PERFECT "hoax" production, down to every minute detail. The picture on the box is better quality than the picture on the cartridge. Let me guess, they could just clean it up with Photoshop, right? If this is a hoax then it would have to come from somone who has extensive expertise in printing, aging and antiquing. Plus the plastic/cardboard which holds the cartridge would have to be specifically manufactured just for this particular game.

no i am not kidding ... why do you think photoshop is so popular? because it does exactly this: enhance the quality of bad pictures ... with filters like the gaussian blur or the unsharp masking filter, the color curves and a bit of experience, you can make old printed illustrations look like brand new ones ... the artwork i did for the racer box might be a good example of how a small 72 dpi pictures becomes a nice 300dpi cover .... you'll need a looking glass to find any raster or any pixels ....

no i am not kidding ... why do you think photoshop is so popular? because it does exactly this: enhance the quality of bad pictures ... with filters like the gaussian blur or the unsharp masking filter, the color curves and a bit of experience, you can make old printed illustrations look like brand new ones ... the artwork i did for the racer box might be a good example of how a small 72 dpi pictures becomes a nice 300dpi cover .... you'll need a looking glass to find any raster or any pixels ....

I am in digital imaging processing and there is a limit of what you can do. You can't add information that was destroyed. Sure you can make it look better and newer but that box image has details that the cartridge doesn't have.

BTW there isn't an "enhance" button in photoshop. That is only in James Bond movies.

• Like 1