IGNORED

My Air Raid Auction Update

Tanman

BTW there isn't an "enhance" button in photoshop. That is only in James Bond movies.

LOL, yeah, back in my imaging days, we used to joke that "oh, we'll just push the 'shine that turd' button on the customer's crappy provided images, then we'd spend a lot of totally unappreciated time making them look good. People really do think it's just that easy! It's getting far easier, but there is still skill and time involved.

But yes, there are absolutely limits to what you can do with an image of a scanned separated printed image. Sure, you can make it look great, and acceptable to reprint. We've been doing that since the Scitex machines in the late '80s. But you can't make it look the same as the original art would look re-scanned. But to the untrained eye? Sure, they wouldn't know the difference.

Hey Longhorn, watch out. These guys will see you live in Austin and assume you produced this box for tanman. Afterall, everyone in Austin must apparently know each other.

Good point! It must be the longhorn engineer thats behind this :ponder:

Yes I planted the Box in tanman's closet :ahoy:

BTW there isn't an "enhance" button in photoshop. That is only in James Bond movies.

i never said photoshop has an "enhance" button .... if you read my last post correctly i said it is possible to enance the picture with a serie of different filters ...

i am the "enhance button" :D

i never said photoshop has an "enhance" button .... if you read my last post correctly i said it is possible to enance the picture with a serie of different filters ...

So you're the go-to man in the james bond movies ...

LOL exactly! (BTW, I think he misunderstood you, I believe he was referring to people who assume that. I'm sure you've had your share of customers who think it's all easy and don't appreciate the hard work you put into their project).

I especially love the "Computer: Enhance!" effect on all the TV shows. A 2 pixel face from a low-res survelliance cam turns into a 150 megapixel image in 2 seconds. Nice!

I am in digital imaging processing and there is a limit of what you can do. You can't add information that was destroyed. Sure you can make it look better and newer but that box image has details that the cartridge doesn't have.

I definitely agree with that. I have to do a fair amount of Photoshopping in my work and things like Gaussian or unsharp blur softens a picture by slight blurring. Pretty easy to spot. Conversely the sharpen feature does a poor job at its namesake, producing some weird angles/colors especially around the edges. It is also easy to spot. Both would take a lot of tweaking. And yes, the movie stuff where they take a small picture and "enhance" it to show minuscule detail is pure fiction. You would end up with big pixel blobs.

So while my gut tells me this is an April Fool's prank, my mind says, "Wow, that would be an incredibly hard feat to produce that box that looks that good." The picture on the front would be very time consuming to produce from the plaqued cart image. And the price tag? It would take either very experienced Photoshop skills (doubtful as I have looked close at pic) or someone who has NOS price tags and stuck one on the repro box. Forget the hair dryer and an old price tag. Peeled price tags turn into a hot mess, and it is obvious this one isn't a peel and stick.

I want it to be real. But either way, I am enjoying the show.

The longer it takes CPUWIZ to post here the more suspicious I get. He was definately around here yesterday when this thread was started. The fact he hasnt commented yet is VERY suspicious. Maybe Tanman found the cart and couldnt find the box. CPUWIZ took the opportunity to create a box and Tanman is going along with the joke to create more interest in his cart auction. he still hasnt pulled it yet ;)

Man, if this is truly legit, you need to pull that auction and relist... whether you lose the watchers or not. A boxed Air Raid like this will command a price that will be a record for an Atari game.

Like others I'm skeptical. There has been a April 1 prank pretty much every year around here. The fact that the auction is listed on E-bay suggests to me that it's legit, at least as far as the cart goes. E-bay takes a very negative view of people misrepresenting themselves.

Forget the hair dryer and an old price tag. Peeled price tags turn into a hot mess, and it is obvious this one isn't a peel and stick.

I could do the old peel and stick and you would have no way of knowing. There are ways other than the hair dryer, and I am as inexperienced as they get ;)

Man, if this is truly legit, you need to pull that auction and relist... whether you lose the watchers or not. A boxed Air Raid like this will command a price that will be a record for an Atari game.

Like others I'm skeptical. There has been a April 1 prank pretty much every year around here. The fact that the auction is listed on E-bay suggests to me that it's legit, at least as far as the cart goes. E-bay takes a very negative view of people misrepresenting themselves.

Ebay doesn't give a crap!

Officially I am still on the wait till April 2nd bandwagon. But I do want to mention something. I had a conspiracy theory as well that seemed to have all the pieces fit. It dealt with Bruce Tomlin. The man joined the sight almost exactly when Alex stopped posting on this site. My theory was that Alex was pretending to be Bruce. Heck the guy even came from Austin just like Alex. If I am not mistaken there were a couple of other similarities as well. But in the end it turned out I was completely wrong. But again I will wait till April 2nd. Just to be completely sure. Ironically the involvement of Albert is the reason why I am still not 100 percent on this.

Forget the hair dryer and an old price tag. Peeled price tags turn into a hot mess, and it is obvious this one isn't a peel and stick.

I could do the old peel and stick and you would have no way of knowing. There are ways other than the hair dryer, and I am as inexperienced as they get ;)

Yes, many ways indeed ;)

"unsharp masking" in the blur section of photoshop actually sharpens pictures if used right .... and the gaussian blur should only be used carefully on rastered images scanned with 600 dpi or more, otherwise it gets just blurry, of course ... once you got the picture right, you can do your modifications, add some typo and slightly blur it and add a raster again. printed out with 2400 dpi, you'll make most people believe this is an old offset print, specially if you just show a photo of the artwork ...

Officially I am still on the wait till April 2nd bandwagon. But I do want to mention something. I had a conspiracy theory as well that seemed to have all the pieces fit. It dealt with Bruce Tomlin. The man joined the sight almost exactly when Alex stopped posting on this site. My theory was that Alex was pretending to be Bruce. Heck the guy even came from Austin just like Alex. If I am not mistaken there were a couple of other similarities as well. But in the end it turned out I was completely wrong. But again I will wait till April 2nd. Just to be completely sure. Ironically the involvement of Albert is the reason why I am still not 100 percent on this.

aaah conspiracy ..... maybe RT can tell us if albert is an alien and set up this hoax to actually cover the real conspiracy behind AA ... they're all gonna pick us up from planet earth .... aaaaarrrgggh ... RRRUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUN!

:D