IGNORED

My Air Raid Auction Update

Tanman

i wonder if some of the people bidding are the same that thought it was a fools joke.

this is going to be a loooong auction :D

I don't exactly think it's a joke, I think it's possible. However, it is starting to look a lot less possible. I bid, but was out-bid less than a minute after I was the high bid. Damn, this could break all records. Doesn't look like I can keep up. :(

$20,000 ;)

I don't think it'll hit the Stadium Events range, but if this hits the blogs and tech sites, you never know what could happen when collectors and others from outside of the Atari community get involved. I think Stadium Events hit it big because the NES is a huge part of pop culture. The Atari 2600 is too, but not to the same extent. But the publicity of Stadium Events can only help this auction.

Still, I'm guessing it'll break five figures and possibly get that high simply because the cartridge is with the original box and that makes it one of a kind. Some people will pay a lot of money to get the only one of something.

Edited by Lendorien

$20,000 ;)

I don't think it'll hit the Stadium Events range, but if this hits the blogs and tech sites, you never know what could happen when collectors and others from outside of the Atari community get involved. I think Stadium Events hit it big because the NES is a huge part of pop culture. The Atari is too, but not to the same extent. But the publicity of Stadium Events can only help this auction.

Still, I'm guessing it'll break five figures simply because of the fact that the cartridge being with the original box makes it one of a kind. Some people will pay a lot of money to get the only one of something.

Yeah, I WONDER who is going to win!

More power to him, I say. It needs to go to someone who will take excellent care of it and will share it with the rest of the community the way Wonder will. :)

I think that would be great if he did, but I think there will be some stiff competition from outside AA. I personally think this will go over $30K.

EDIT: Stiff, not stuff :roll:

Edited by atari_envy

While there is a lull, I would like to sincerely thank Albert for

a) Helping pull off the best AA April Fool's joke yet.

or

b) Taking the time to drive over to Tanman's house to inspect this box to verify its authenticity

:thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

I think I just lost control of my bowels. I cannot BELIEVE it!

Two things to point:

1. I think that picture with the lottery ticket is HILARIOUS....but proper. This guy basically HAS won the lottery with this one.

2. Hey, Albert. Since you took the pics, any chance these will be in the 2600 database on this site?

Anyone else see the "M707" on the side of the box? Part number?

That's upside-down. It's LOLW - the first part is of course a hint to the joke being played on is, but I haven't cracked the W yet.

Ouch. That is actually the first piece of evidence of an April Fool's joke that I could buy. I was thinking it was a weird number, but it is LOL upside down.....

Maybe the W is for "Wickeycolumbus" who is in on it.

2. Hey, Albert. Since you took the pics, any chance these will be in the 2600 database on this site?

None of the pics I took have been posted yet--I'll get them online in the morning. I will have proper scans of the box soon and will add those to the database.

..Al

That's upside-down. It's LOLW - the first part is of course a hint to the joke being played on is, but I haven't cracked the W yet.

Interesting, I hadn't thought of it that way. Perhaps it is there to appear as an M (for Men-A-Vision) making it look more official.

Ouch. That is actually the first piece of evidence of an April Fool's joke that I could buy. I was thinking it was a weird number, but it is LOL upside down.....

Maybe the W is for "Wickeycolumbus" who is in on it.

Nope, I'm not in on it. I still have a glimmer of faith that this could be the real deal.

Edited by Wickeycolumbus

Laugh Out Loud Wonder007?

BINGO. Either a crazy coincidence or you cracked the code.

This has to be real, because if it's not, wouldn't the ebay ad be outright fraud? I really doubt the usual pranksters would take a prank this far, as they are all upstanding types.

That generally is my thought as well. Not to mention seriously upsetting anyone who did place a bid within the community.

Occam's Razor applies here and it is easily getting to the point where "This is real" is a much simpler explanation than "Al, 7 other people on AA, and every single eBay bidder so far is in on it with intent for a simple April Fool's joke".

My jury is still hung but what has transpired has made me less skeptical.

Just to play Devil's Advocate, LOLW could also mean 'LOL WIZ'.... :ponder:

• Like 1