IGNORED

My Air Raid Auction Update

Tanman

Anyone else see the "M707" on the side of the box? Part number?

That's upside-down. It's LOLW - the first part is of course a hint to the joke being played on is, but I haven't cracked the W yet.

Ouch. That is actually the first piece of evidence of an April Fool's joke that I could buy. I was thinking it was a weird number, but it is LOL upside down.....

Maybe the W is for "Wickeycolumbus" who is in on it.

I was kind of half-kidding when I said that, but you never know - AA hasn't pranked us in a while...

BTW, the first Google result when you type in LOLW is this:

http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=lolw

:ponder:

Just to be clear though, I kind of think this one is real, but if not, it's a damn good joke.

This has to be real, because if it's not, wouldn't the ebay ad be outright fraud? I really doubt the usual pranksters would take a prank this far, as they are all upstanding types.

That generally is my thought as well. Not to mention seriously upsetting anyone who did place a bid within the community.

Occam's Razor applies here and it is easily getting to the point where "This is real" is a much simpler explanation than "Al, 7 other people on AA, and every single eBay bidder so far is in on it with intent for a simple April Fool's joke".

My jury is still hung but what has transpired has made me less skeptical.

Just to play Devil's Advocate, LOLW could also mean 'LOL WIZ'.... :ponder:

Agreed, I am so much more on the side of this being real now as well.

Occam's Razor applies here and it is easily getting to the point where "This is real" is a much simpler explanation than "Al, 7 other people on AA, and every single eBay bidder so far is in on it with intent for a simple April Fool's joke".

Sure Occam would lead us to believe that, but have you looked at the other April Fool's pranks? The false screen shoots, pictures of proto chips and the like. Good stuff.

I was almost 100% on board, but that box number did bother me. Why would a "debut" cart be number 7? But if you think about it from a prank perspective, who would be the top (at least perceived) bidder on this? Wonder. So "LOL Wonder007" would make perfect sense.

Time will tell.

I was almost 100% on board, but that box number did bother me. Why would a "debut" cart be number 7? But if you think about it from a prank perspective, who would be the top (at least perceived) bidder on this? Wonder. So "LOL Wonder007" would make perfect sense.

This is me rolling my eyes every time I see a post like this: :roll:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Numerology

We'll honestly never know what that product number (assuming it's that) represents. It's not unusual for companies to assign numbers to products and release them in a different order. In this case we can't even assume such a numbering scheme was even used.

..Al

This is me rolling my eyes every time I see a post like this: :roll:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Numerology

..Al

But you must at least admit it is a pretty strange coincidence, at least the LOL.

Sure Occam would lead us to believe that, but have you looked at the other April Fool's pranks? The false screen shoots, pictures of proto chips and the like. Good stuff.

Time will tell.

Wow, just when I was thinking this was not an April Fools joke another conspiracy draws me back to the middle. I guess I'll have to wait till April 2nd. :D

I would think that means that Men-A-Vision was at least planning on an entire catalog of games, perhaps? Perhaps this implies it was the 7th game they were developing or hacking, or it at least got a 7th slot in the catalog?

I did some digging on the price tag out of curiosity to see if I could get a price point. Nothing of too much note, the price point isn't visible even with color level messing. The top row of sticker-gun numbers ends in '988', there is a '37' (or possibly '87', can't tell) right near the square in the center, and the bottom row starts with '433'.

Was hoping to see how much it retailed for just for kicks!

After doing a little more GIMP goofery Mirage and I have both discovered what appears to be the imprint of a 4 next to the $! You can barely see it, it looks like the ink has worn off, but I think that's a 4. Since it's a Tuesday Morning sticker it would imply it's after-market, so I am guessing that the original price ticket for this cart was $4.99! Very cool!

I was almost 100% on board, but that box number did bother me. Why would a "debut" cart be number 7? blah blah blah....

I dunno, why was the catalog number of Wizard's first game title (Halloween) "No. 007"? :?

I know...it's fake! It was created by mcgrail007 aka stlouisrams2007 aka holygrailvideogames! I knew it!!! :roll:

More power to him, I say. It needs to go to someone who will take excellent care of it and will share it with the rest of the community the way Wonder will. :)

I think that would be great if he did, but I think there will be some stiff competition from outside AA. I personally think this will go over $30K.

EDIT: Stiff, not stuff :roll:

My guess is that the game will sell for $38,000 and some change but I think it is worth more.... he should have sold it to me for $2000 lol

This has to be real, because if it's not, wouldn't the ebay ad be outright fraud? I really doubt the usual pranksters would take a prank this far, as they are all upstanding types.

I'd have to agree. Even if it isn't fraud, it is unlikely that someone would flush money down the toilet to cancel one listing and make another one just to carry out a joke.

I was almost 100% on board, but that box number did bother me. Why would a "debut" cart be number 7? blah blah blah....

I dunno, why was the catalog number of Wizard's first game title (Halloween) "No. 007"? :?

I know...it's fake! It was created by mcgrail007 aka stlouisrams2007 aka holygrailvideogames! I knew it!!! :roll:

Wonder007 got to the company before they printed the labels. ;)

W007

or WOOT!

Wonder007 got to the company before they printed the labels. ;)

W007

or WOOT!

That was the plan all along! Wonder purchased the company back in the early 80s knowing that AtariAge would be created and in 2010 he could pull of the most amazing practical joke ever! WOW!

We pulled a bit of a 9 from the tag too! I seriously think the price point of this at Tuesday Morning was $4.99. Nice investment!

Hey, I think I found the very Tuesday Morning mentioned on the auction "near the corner of Arkansas Lane and Medline Drive". That means they've been open for 26 years now. Impressive.

http://www.mapquest.com/listings/Tuesday_Morning_Arlington_TX_9192740?placement=results_org_map

Yep yep!! That is it! Click on the 360 view and move east down the street and you will see the red Tuesday Morning sign on the right. Cool!!! Might have to buy the sign once the auction is over.

That was the plan all along! Wonder purchased the company back in the early 80s knowing that AtariAge would be created and in 2010 he could pull of the most amazing practical joke ever! WOW!

Actually he did it with the help of the Back to the Future DeLorean he purchased recently. What a masterful plan by him and mcgrail007.

What is wrong with playing Devil's advocate on this? We will know for sure in the next 24 hours anyway. I am enjoying the show.