IGNORED

My Air Raid Auction Update

Tanman

Just quick question . Wasn't this supposed to be a gate fold box? Didn't someone write into a Atari magazine saying they saw the box and it was a gate fold box like a book?

Yes, that's the main reason I'm still doubting this.

http://www.atariage.com/forums/topic/142290-air-raid-in-a-gatefold-box/page__p__1723769__fromsearch__1#entry1723769

Just quick question . Wasn't this supposed to be a gate fold box? Didn't someone write into a Atari magazine saying they saw the box and it was a gate fold box like a book?

Yes, that's the main reason I'm still doubting this.

http://www.atariage.com/forums/topic/142290-air-raid-in-a-gatefold-box/page__p__1723769__fromsearch__1#entry1723769

I think even Tanman said that it was a gate fold box in the first aution's description.

He said:

I only recognized that it was a 2600 game because of the cartridge. That would mean the cartridge was visible in the box. The box swung open or it might have had a clear window that showed the cartridge.

Between a letter with no pictures or other evidence and a box I've held in my hands and thoroughly examined, I'll believe the box I held in my hands.

..Al

Hell yeah. I hope this is true, it would have saved me from gutting my cart 4 years ago =). But at least we know whats inside. Now to go take a mortgage out for this puppy!! =O

WOW. Get out your checkbooks, I'll be bidding.

No reserve. NO RESERVE. It would be a waste of time and money to use a reserve. This will get a lot of money, but a reserve will do you no good. Just put it up with a starting bid of $1. The value will not increase enough in the coming years to cling to it. This is the 'first' discovered and you will be taking advantage of that. Sell it now, let the bidding go wild, and don't make this into a soap opera.

• Like 1

An AA user by the name of Pitfall Harry had a friend who claimed to own the box to Air Raid. That was the first instance of the game having a name to go with it. Men-A-Vision is right on the screen at the bottom when you play the game. Whats kinda odd is that Space Jockey (the game Air Raid gets alot of it's code from) was released in 1982 also. Weird that they where able to disassemble Space Jockey, make a different game out of the code and release it as Air Raid all within a few months.

didn't jerry g also claim to have seen it, or at least read something about it in the mid ninetees?

Even being April 1st, the fact that the auction exists finally convinces me. Yeah, a fake item could be pulled early & all that, but I don't think Al would go along with it that far.

that would be the best approach for a proper well-working hoax! :D

i would have done it ... starting at 1$ it wouldn't cost any fees ...

I haven't gone through all of the new posts since I was last here, but would there have been a significant fee for canceling the first auction since the bids were already so high. Also, was there ever a reserve set on the auctions?

Someone I know at work into the whole photoshop, illustrator bit. He looked at the photos and said it would take an attention to detail that most people are not capable of approaching. Unlikely, but not impossible. There would be cost in this as well (time and money).

So if this is indeed an April Fool's joke... hahaha, you guys pulled a good one, but I say real. I guess we shall find out in several hours one way or another.

Between a letter with no pictures or other evidence and a box I've held in my hands and thoroughly examined, I'll believe the box I held in my hands.

..Al

I see your point. It wouldn't be the first time I was wrong. :)