IGNORED

My Air Raid Auction Update

Tanman

In the first auction, he mentioned it was the unique shape of the cart that caught his eye. I ask, how could he see through the box? Well, he mentioned it might have had a window in it. But here, we see no window. I was hoping the OP could explain this.

-Rob

He already explained that he was confusing it with the insert inside the box, which is what he was remembering. The game wasn't sealed, so he was apparently able to remove it and look at the cartridge.

In the first auction, he mentioned it was the unique shape of the cart that caught his eye. I ask, how could he see through the box? Well, he mentioned it might have had a window in it. But here, we see no window. I was hoping the OP could explain this.

-Rob

Benefit of the doubt: I probably wouldn't remember what kind of box a 2600 game came in over 27 years later, especially if I didn't think it was anything special at the time.

Devil's advocate: Something for all of you to chew on to mess with your mind.

If only 10-20 copies were ever made, I'm curious about how it would end up in Tuesday morning store. There is one five minutes from my house. I haven't gone in often, but I don't recall seeing video games. Of course, I don't know what they were selling in the 80's.

It's simple, there are plenty more. Just no one knew what the hell it was if they weren't into games, after it got separated from the box. I've been to plenty of yard sales (even if they DON'T HAVE games out, I ask anyway) You should hear how often someone says "Oh, I threw my Atari away years ago." I've even heard, "I threw an Atari away a few days ago." That was just last year, in this heightened day of online selling, people STILL throw Atari and other game stuff in the trash. (Yes, I did ask if I could go through their cans... they said that the trash had already been collected :D )

AX

If only 10-20 copies were ever made, I'm curious about how it would end up in Tuesday morning store. There is one five minutes from my house. I haven't gone in often, but I don't recall seeing video games. Of course, I don't know what they were selling in the 80's.

I'm sure quite a few more than 20 copies were made, especially given the professionally printed box (you don't make just 20 copies of a box like that). At least 13 of them have shown up in the hands of collectors and there are probably many more just sitting in boxes somewhere. Who knows how many were simply trashed. Heck, there could be a pallet of them sitting somewhere for all we know.

..Al

I'm sure quite a few more than 20 copies were made, especially given the professionally printed box (you don't make just 20 copies of a box like that). At least 13 of them have shown up in the hands of collectors and there are probably many more just sitting in boxes somewhere. Who knows how many were simply trashed. Heck, there could be a pallet of them sitting somewhere for all we know.

..Al

hhhmmmm......someone has time to post here,but has no time to upload the pics from yesterday......very very interesting :ponder:

..Al

Good point. Back in some posts, a few seem to imply that the box was "too perfect with mistakes" that it has to be "fake". Means nothing. Printing mistakes, misspellings, upside down cart labels happened all of the time. I suspect that Air Raid still had a pretty low "print run" regardless.

hhhmmmm......someone has time to post here,but has no time to upload the pics from yesterday......very very interesting :ponder:

I can periodically post while doing other things. It'll take considerably more time to go through the photos and post them (as well as the video I took). It will happen, be patient.

..Al

I can periodically post while doing other things. It'll take considerably more time to go through the photos and post them (as well as the video I took). It will happen, be patient.

..Al

I'm patient. I just keep wondering if you're going to be wearing a pair or rabbit ears in the video, that's all... :ponder:

..Al

sweet,i hope the video you post of air raid isnt something like this:

..Al

sweet,i hope the video you post of air raid isnt something like this:

Hey why is that guy from 2 and half men singing about never letting the Air Raid go?

AX

I think it is real, Mirage's input is also useful for proof of authenticity since he knows his stuff about printing/etc.. and he claims this would be near impossible to fake. The only depressing thing about this? This has to be one of the coolest boxes I have ever seen and there is only one...I really hope someone does a poster run like Zero mentioned earlier!

I think it is real, Mirage's input is also useful for proof of authenticity since he knows his stuff about printing/etc.. and he claims this would be near impossible to fake. ...

Not so much near impossible, it would just require someone extremely knowledgable and really focused on all those details that most people wouldn't ever think of, even if they know modern printing. I think it's real. Or like I said, someone good went to a heck of a lot of time and trouble to do this.

I read all the way to the end... whew! It took me several sittings, but I feel I need to post something just to brag this accomplishment, and I think I have two additional thoughts that have not been covered in previous posts:

1. Is there any precedent for a group of collectors pooling their money to buy a game and then co-owning it - like a timeshare or farm co-op? This auction may get to that kind of price. I think I could pitch in to a group like this, but I could definitely not afford it on my own. Or what if the AA community bought the game as a group? Koombaya.

2. I would definitely like my name added to the list of people who would take a reproduction box based on all the fantastic photos, artwork, and great dialog/hype this has spawned. And I would pay a premium for such a reproduction box if there was a limited production run signed by Tanman himself... the first to scale this Everest (if he is willing... the spotlight of fame burns hot).

wrt to real or fake... I say that "somethings have to be believed to be seen"

Ok, back at home. I used up all my iPhone juice reading Atariage all day. What specualtions have I missed? Last thing I read was Al about to go drink and ride his bike...

One question.....Was Alberto wearing his sombrero and drinking a cerveza when he came to your house?

The Old Man From Tejas is known for his casual style.

Wp