IGNORED

My Air Raid Auction Update

Tanman

You know, the fraud alert isn't the only irony....

They took the pictures at a bank, so really they actually took them at a 'loan command post'!!!!! WOW!

Why can I not give you a +100 for noticing something like that?! Well, +1 for you anyway.

More pictures:

airraid_13.jpg

airraid_14.jpg

airraid_15.jpg

airraid_16.jpg

airraid_17.jpg

These next two are pretty telling. The first is from the label:

airraid_19.jpg

This is from the box. Notice there is significantly more detail: The flames shooting out of the "jets", the black dots around the inner ring, the "explosion" in the upper-right quadrant, the "fire" coming from the gun turrets, the rivets on the orange dome of the ship, the square gun turret openings, and so forth. This detail simply doesn't exist on the label -- someone would have had to completely redraw this image from scratch to reproduce it.

airraid_18.jpg

..Al

• Like 2

This detail simply doesn't exist on the label -- someone would have had to completely redraw this image from scratch to reproduce it.

I know someone who would have. ;) Just like the Surf's Up and Off Your Rocker boxes. :D :P

This detail simply doesn't exist on the label -- someone would have had to completely redraw this image from scratch to reproduce it.

I know someone who would have. ;) Just like the Surf's Up and Off Your Rocker boxes. :D :P

And how were those boxes printed?

..Al

Not like this box. But we can do that kind of printing, if need be, at the place that has our box-dye. But it's too much $$ for a joke. LOL

And how were those boxes printed?

..Al

Not like this box. But we can do that kind of printing, if need be, at the place that has our box-dye. But it's too much $$ for a joke. LOL

Yeah, but you can't fake the age/wear it has, well not overnight at least, would take a long time with a lot of trial and error. On a seperate note...anyone else think this is one of the coolest boxes ever!! Man I want it....

That's the main gist of it really--with enough time, money and expense you can reproduce anything (inside and outside our hobby). Otherwise you're looking at inkjet printed boxes (or laser printed on paper glued to the box) and/or hand-cut box material, and probably not the same chipboard stock that these original boxes used. Not to mention the plastic tray that perfectly fits the cartridge, the pristine "Tuesday Morning" sticker, and the nicely aged box and box insert material.

If you were trying to make a fake box that had never been seen before, you could forgo some of those details, such as the box insert, plastic tray, and price sticker. You'd still need to do the offset printing and die-cut chipboard box for it to be believable. Oh, and redraw the label artwork, adding details that weren't present in the original label due to the smaller size of the label.

..Al

If only 10-20 copies were ever made, I'm curious about how it would end up in Tuesday morning store. There is one five minutes from my house. I haven't gone in often, but I don't recall seeing video games. Of course, I don't know what they were selling in the 80's.

I'm sure quite a few more than 20 copies were made, especially given the professionally printed box (you don't make just 20 copies of a box like that). At least 13 of them have shown up in the hands of collectors and there are probably many more just sitting in boxes somewhere. Who knows how many were simply trashed. Heck, there could be a pallet of them sitting somewhere for all we know.

..Al

The warehouse will be found 2 days after I buy one. :sad: :D

I'll post the video tomorrow, I've spent way too much time in this thread already today.. I don't even know how well that came out, it was spontaneous and pretty sloppy (basically Tanner opening the box, pulling out the contents for the camera and then putting it all back together..) :ponder:

..Al

• Like 1

I'll post the video tomorrow, I've spent way too much time in this thread already today.. I don't even know how well that came out, it was spontaneous and pretty sloppy (basically Tanner opening the box, pulling out the contents for the camera and then putting it all back together..) :ponder:

..Al

And you told me you would call me afterwards and never did... Made me feel cheap..