IGNORED

My Air Raid Auction Update

Tanman

I guess I can have a serving of crow. Truth be told, I am still a bit skeptical. I have also worked in printing, however, and the close-ups really do show some things that would be tough to fake on a one-off. I also trust Al: for a non beer-drinker, he's a pretty good guy. :)

Good luck with the auction, Tanman... and you should have said you were looking for more carts in the "Wanted" section. I or any number of people on here would probably give you better-than-eBay prices from non-smoking homes. Feel free to send me a PM if you are still looking.

I guess I can have a serving of crow. Truth be told, I am still a bit skeptical. I have also worked in printing, however, and the close-ups really do show some things that would be tough to fake on a one-off. I also trust Al: for a non beer-drinker, he's a pretty good guy. :)

Good luck with the auction, Tanman... and you should have said you were looking for more carts in the "Wanted" section. I or any number of people on here would probably give you better-than-eBay prices from non-smoking homes. Feel free to send me a PM if you are still looking.

What?!?! I was buying them all hoping you guys would buy them from me!!! I don't think I thought this through... :)

I think this is real. I already copied and cropped the original box images for the site when I get to Menavision...if I get to it. I got lazy these past 2 weeks and haven't worked on the site. Was trying to clean my room and that is even becoming too difficult to accomplish.

Phil

I'm certainly not saying this item is fake.- not at all.

But reading all the comments regarding the composition of this item - I really don't agree that it would be overtly hard to make one of these. Obviously one wouldn't do it for an april fools hoax - there is just too much time and money involved for a hoax.

But personally I don't think an item like this is hard to produce, moreso if you are in the printing / design industry.

Yes it would take time, and a little money - but nothing compared to the pay off you'd receive.

I work in paper conservation at the State gallery here in Australia, and my wife is a graphic designer - so i do have background knowledge regarding paper and print.

After doing plenty of product research - You would need to get hold of some old stock card, which isn't as hard as you'd think. Find a suitable plastic tray that fits the cart (you could go to a toy store and browse through the thousands of boxed items until you found one). Get it offset printed, that would cost a couple of hundred dollars. Hand cut it - or get it machine cut if necessary. Beat it up a little, abrase the surface in areas, over fold the tabs to give them some wear - And bingo!!!!

Of course it would be totally immoral.

And no I haven't done it. (and no - you won't be seeing any holygrail pop up on my ebay either) ;)

But I don't think it would be as hard as you think.

But reading all the comments regarding the composition of this item - I really don't agree that it would be overtly hard to make one of these. Obviously one wouldn't do it for an april fools hoax - there is just too much time and money involved for a hoax.

Yes, this is exactly what I was saying. I clearly said it is obviously possible... we haven't lost any technology in printing since 1982 (unlike some other technologies where we actually have lost the ability to do some things the same). But to do this in 2010 for a hoax? Yes, it's possible, but looking at that box, it's highly unlikely. If this did turn out to be a hoax, the pranksters would be my heroes, at least in terms of tenacity and execution.

Yes, this is exactly what I was saying. I clearly said it is obviously possible... we haven't lost any technology in printing since 1982 (unlike some other technologies where we actually have lost the ability to do some things the same). But to do this in 2010 for a hoax? Yes, it's possible, but looking at that box, it's highly unlikely. If this did turn out to be a hoax, the pranksters would be my heroes, at least in terms of tenacity and execution.

Yes, this is what I've said repeatedly as well. Possible, yes. Highly unlikely, yes.

..Al

Its now up to $6500. :cool:

I'm addicted to this thread. I hope the shakes won't be too bad when this is all over.

I never said whether I thought it was real or hoax, but I did go out to eBay on the 1st and vote with my wallet about $1500 ago.

Only problem I have bidding to win this centerpiece is that Sping is here, and I could use a speed boat, new convertible, or maybe a lake home.

Its now up to $6500. :cool:

I'm addicted to this thread. I hope the shakes won't be too bad when this is all over.

I never said whether I thought it was real or hoax, but I did go out to eBay on the 1st and vote with my wallet about $1500 ago.

Only problem I have bidding to win this centerpiece is that Sping is here, and I could use a speed boat, new convertible, or maybe a lake home.

True enough, but here is something to ponder. There are a ton of speed boats, convertibles, and lake homes. They will always be available to buy. This on the other hand will not.

I just hope this hits the news media soon. It will be fun to get some attention for our little hobby and AtariAge too. This kind of thing is always great for the hobby, but this could be the biggest news that I can ever remember for Atari.