IGNORED

My Air Raid Auction Update

Tanman

Its now up to $6500. :cool:

I'm addicted to this thread. I hope the shakes won't be too bad when this is all over.

I never said whether I thought it was real or hoax, but I did go out to eBay on the 1st and vote with my wallet about $1500 ago.

Only problem I have bidding to win this centerpiece is that Sping is here, and I could use a speed boat, new convertible, or maybe a lake home.

True enough, but here is something to ponder. There are a ton of speed boats, convertibles, and lake homes. They will always be available to buy. This on the other hand will not.

Wish tanner couldn't spell atari and spelled it "atrai" I am willing to put up like 3G's for this. For the record I am by far not a rich man and would definately do so.

Hi, I've been collecting 2600 for a while, figured I'd weigh in on this because I like to be on really long threads on forums.

• That label shows a lot of wear (spotting) for being in a box. I was checking out my boxed games with picture labels and none of them look like that. It resembles many of my loose games, however. Of course it could be a matter that mine are in a nice a/c house and his Air Raid was in an attic somewhere.
  • If you go to http://everything2.com/user/passport/writeups/air+raid, it says a boxed version was sold for $1500. Who the heck has that box? The write up was in 2001.
  • In the pics, one of the side shots says M707. If you were to turn 707 over on a calculator it would spell LOL. Though what the heck is LOLW?

With all that I still have a gut feeling that this is legit. I also have a gut feeling my wife would kill me if I bought that.

Good luck to whomever ends up buying this.

The game was not boxed for years, the game and box were stored separately

Hi, I've been collecting 2600 for a while, figured I'd weigh in on this because I like to be on really long threads on forums.

• That label shows a lot of wear (spotting) for being in a box. I was checking out my boxed games with picture labels and none of them look like that. It resembles many of my loose games, however. Of course it could be a matter that mine are in a nice a/c house and his Air Raid was in an attic somewhere.
  • If you go to http://everything2.com/user/passport/writeups/air+raid, it says a boxed version was sold for $1500. Who the heck has that box? The write up was in 2001.
  • In the pics, one of the side shots says M707. If you were to turn 707 over on a calculator it would spell LOL. Though what the heck is LOLW?

With all that I still have a gut feeling that this is legit. I also have a gut feeling my wife would kill me if I bought that.

Not much info in the article, although 1500 sounds about right for the game and box in 2001.

In the first auction, he mentioned it was the unique shape of the cart that caught his eye. I ask, how could he see through the box? Well, he mentioned it might have had a window in it. But here, we see no window. I was hoping the OP could explain this.

-Rob

He already explained that he was confusing it with the insert inside the box, which is what he was remembering. The game wasn't sealed, so he was apparently able to remove it and look at the cartridge.

Ok gotcha. I must have misunderstood. I figured it was something simple. What kind of store is Tuesday Morning? They didn't keep games behind the counter?

Tuesday Morning was/is a discount store that sells closeout merchandise. Games behind the counter? Definitely not at a store like that (especially in those days). Tanman said the game was on a table with a bunch of other assorted toys and junk. It was the only copy of the game that he saw there.

Who was it that made the original "Gatefold Statement?" It was from an early game magazine, right?

Nah, it was some guy that wrote a letter to the Atari 2600 Connection newsletter back in the early/mid-90s. He said the game came in a "box like a book". Obviously he was somewhat mistaken, but he was correct in that the game doesn't exactly have a typical box. In any event, the fellow that made that claim only said that he saw the game somewhere...he never actually owned it.

Not much info in the article, although 1500 sounds about right for the game and box in 2001.

I believe if a boxed Air Raid sold in 2001 that the people here woulda heard about that ;)

Tanner's game is the only boxed version ever to appear.

Wp

Edited by sandmountainslim

Glad to see that you have made peace. Good luck on the auction!

Yeah, and I made peace with the one gentleman with the money comment.

I have gone back reread the thread. This is the first online community I have been apart of and the groping dynamics are new to me. Basically, everyone talks to everyone like they are roommates but everyone are still kinda strangers.

I am not going anywhere after the auction. The collector bug has bit and I want to find the next holy Grail. Maybe a second ewok cart! :)

... This is the first online community I have been apart of and the groping dynamics are new to me.

Whoa whoa whoa there nelly... there's a few members that may have some groping dynamics goin' on, but for the most part, this isn't that sort of site!

Glad you're planning to stick around. Hardly anyone can say they're an AA legend right from their first post!

So lets here some ending price guesses! I know it's a wide margin but I'm guessing between $15 and $25 thousand USA dollars.

Good gawd people... seriously? $15-25k for a box and cartridge?!?! Will PayPal even do a transaction that large? I'm thinking some sort of Escrow service will need to be used for when this finally comes to an end.

I found a few websites that are reporting this auction.it only took me a few minutes to find these.

retroist.com

indiana times.com

bit mob.com

my game loft.com

gamespasm.com

retro roundup.com

badpower.com

joystiq.com

digoblog.com

gdri.smspower.org

gamesogre.com

createbacklinks.info

evilavatar.com

gamesniped.com

tenstones.net

videogamesaler.com

Anyone else been PLAYING Air Raid since this thing hit?

I have spent more time playing AR on Stella in the past couple days than ever before.

Pretty good game and I like the concept better than Space Jockey....but the collision detection is way off and the "Pretzel Ships" are damn near impossible to destroy!

Wp

Edited by sandmountainslim

Won't go that high. I'd be surprised if it goes far beyond $10k.

If it goes for less than $15k I would be suprised.

Yes, because Jose hasn't even seen it yet and sylabyss & GeneralHellfire are interested (I am currently forgetting the name of the guy who has a sick sports car collection and a mansion), Jose will try to play it safe to ensure he gets it. ;) I really hope he does get it.

Yes, because Jose hasn't even seen it yet and sylabyss & GeneralHellfire are interested (I am currently forgetting the name of the guy who has a sick sports car collection and a mansion), Jose will try to play it safe to ensure he gets it. ;) I really hope he does get it.

Where is Jose?? Is he sleeping or outta the country?

Jose and the dude with all the sportscars are both good guys so it suits me for either to win it.

I'm afraid I do not know General Hellfire or Sylabyss.

Wp

Wow - I thought for sure that this auction would be over today and the joke revealed. It looks real at this point. Incredible find. I do want to know when Al found out that a box existed and if he or others planned the April 1 tie-in to make us go crazy over the news.