IGNORED

My Air Raid Auction Update

Tanman

Hey, when you think about it, he's one of the very few AA members that we actually have in-person pictures of, and that was from post 1! Some of us have 2k+ posts and nobody has seen our faces!

Oh, I thought you looked like Reagan, (or maybe the monkey...) ;)

No reason to get hyped up over a paper box.. It is just that, a cardboard box!

In your wallet you will find a bunch of paper with pictures with dead presidents, check your wife's wallet, too (there is probably a lot more than you have). I will send you my address and you can mail it all to me.

It is just paper!

That's funny stuff!

The most important question is whether the winner of the auction will actually pay. ;)

Indeed. I don't think the $40,000 Stadium Events got paid for did it?

You always hear people talking about how "someone sold their kidney on Ebay for $6 million!" but you never hear that it didn't actually get paid for.

CPU should use the guessing game as part of a contest to promote repro set. To win, buy a copy, and give your guess. The person closest in the end wins their copy. Awe, come on CPU and Shy :D we'll be good. Hey if you want to have some carts painted powder blue (not T-handle) I can do that.

I bid $4k on the original listing when I box was found, even thought I'd have had to sell off a large number of my collections to get it for less than they are worth. At this point I can just hope for a good repro.

AX

I was eying my Corvette yesterday thinking I could bid up to $24,000 on it, but then remembered I would need a car after that likely and thus it would have to go back on eBay. I would never buy something (especially something like this) simply to put it in an eBay store or resell it immediately without express permission and understanding, which Tanman wouldn't (and shouldn't) give. It belongs in a collection, not in some greedy reseller's hands, so alas, I will have to keep the Corvette. :P

Tanman,,, based on historical significance and all, you may want to give some thought to "Provenance" and dig up as much old history on this and you can to attach to the auction? Any old pics of the Tuesday store or other artifacts? Picture of you back in the day playing the game (or at least Atari)? Letter signed by you with background, signed letter from Al giving it the nod at the bank, etc., etc.? All just food for thought and value adders for you / value retainers for future owner. I know when I got Pepsi Invaders from the original Coke owner, it was a lot more cool for me to have a letter from the old Coke employee talking about the event where he got this and the history in his family, etc.

fyi...

The Official Meaning of Provenance

Provenance is the origin or source from which something comes. The term is often used in the sense of place and time of manufacture, production or discovery. Comparative techniques, expert opinion, written and verbal records and the results of tests are often used to help establish provenance.

The provenance of works of fine art, antiques and antiquities often assumes great importance. Documented evidence of provenance for an object can help to establish that it has not been altered and is not a forgery or a reproduction. Knowledge of provenance can help to assign the work to a known artist and a documented history can be of use in helping to prove ownership.

Evidence of provenance can be of importance in the fields of archaeology and palaeontology.

Fakes are not unknown and finds are sometimes removed from the context in which they were found without documentation, reducing their value to the world of learning. Even when discovered apparently "genuine" archaeological finds must sometimes be treated with caution, the provenance of a find may not be properly represented by the context in which it was found.

Artifacts can be moved far from their place of origin by mechanisms that include looting, collecting, theft or trade and further research is often required to establish the true provenance of a find. Most museums make strenuous efforts to record how the works in their collections were acquired and these records are often of use in helping to establish provenance. Fossils can also move from their primary context and are sometimes found, apparently in-situ, in geological deposits to which they do not belong, moved by, for example, the erosion of nearby but geologically different outcrops.

In the archiving and the management of records proof of provenance is provided by the operation of control systems that document the history of records kept in an archive, including details of amendments made to them.

Scientific research is generally held to be of good provenance when it is documented in detail sufficient to allow reproducibility.

Provenance is a fundamental principle of archives, referring to the individual, group, or organization that created or received the items in a collection.

In North American archaeology, and to a lesser extent in anthropological archaeology throughout the world, the term provenience is sometimes used instead. Usually the two terms are synonymous; however, some researchers use provenience to refer only to the exact location in a site where an artifact was excavated, in contrast to provenance which includes the artifact's complete documented history.

I guess it will go up to $12k to $15k and winner will be Jose or Marco. And for the records: A professional reproduction (offset printing, special paper, diecut) including artwork creation, films and a run for of boxes costs about $1.200 to $1.500.

Do you mean $1,200 to $1,500, or $1.2 million to $1.5 million? The period insted of the comma is throwing me off.

The most important question is whether the winner of the auction will actually pay. ;)

Indeed. I don't think the $40,000 Stadium Events got paid for did it?

You always hear people talking about how "someone sold their kidney on Ebay for $6 million!" but you never hear that it didn't actually get paid for.

I'd sell a kidney for $10 million. :|

Edited by Atarian7

I guess this means that Al is like the default authority on atari? I mean, if the times wanted to do a piece on this game, who would they call?

Not that there aren't dozens more knowledgeable people who've devoted their free time to our very significant and important hobby.

Al was chosen because he lives in Austin like this other guy. He is the most knowledgeable person within close proximity. Though to be honest the seller is extremely lucky that he lives so close to Albert.

• Like 1

I guess it will go up to $12k to $15k and winner will be Jose or Marco. And for the records: A professional reproduction (offset printing, special paper, diecut) including artwork creation, films and a run for of boxes costs about $1.200 to $1.500.

Do you mean $1,200 to $1,500, or $1.2 million to $1.5 million? The period insted of the comma is throwing me off.

$1200.00 to $1500.00 and Marc is correct. ;)