IGNORED

My Air Raid Auction Update

Tanman

ooohhhhh... U got us

wow, it took u guys long enough.

This was actually the fools joke for 2011. Bet u never saw that coming...

I also want to point out the publicity albert and AA is getting. There always seems to be a lot of guests reading this thread .

CONFIRMED: april fools publicity stunt!

:D

A couple thoughts:

1. I'm surprised my post wasn't received more negatively than it was.

2. Don't get me wrong; I think this is a wicked cool find and it's satisfying to have this long-standing mystery solved.

3. I can appreciate how it would be cool to have this in your collection, but I'd much prefer to have Tanman's story behind it than to have paid a huge sum for it on eBay.

4. Sure, the money is relative... to an extent. But there's still a lot that could be done in the world with $12,000 that couldn't be done with 60 cents.

5. This is just like political debates -- I'm never going to convince someone who doesn't already agree with me. But I'm still an idealist who wishes things were different.

If Wonder007 does miss this auction that would be a real shame. Someone with as much love for Atari (and money to spend on it) as he does should at least get a shot at this item. I bet he would be heart broke if he sees this say an hour after the auction is over. It's not exactly like he can just wait for the next CIB Air Raid to come up for sale.

• Like 1

If Wonder007 does miss this auction that would be a real shame. Someone with as much love for Atari (and money to spend on it) as he does should at least get a shot at this item. I bet he would be heart broke if he sees this say an hour after the auction is over. It's not exactly like he can just wait for the next CIB Air Raid to come up for sale.

He is currently the highest bidder ;)

Edited by Wickeycolumbus

Also without quoting all of Pitfall Harry's post there is one more group of collectors who buy something, they buy just to have it. It is not about an investment it is just something they want and if they have the money they will do all they can to win it. I am one of them. If I want something and can afford it I will buy it. Sure I think in the back of my mind if I ever needed to I could sell and get at least some money back or more if I got a deal but it really doesn't matter to me. If I were to sell all the different collections I have and added up what I spent I know I will come out on the losing end but I don't care, I'm not selling, I bought this stuff because I like it. I am sure I will spend more money this year that other people will think why did you pay so much when you can get a repro or a lesser quality one but it is what I want and if I have the money I will buy it.

This auction though is a little out of the range of my current FU money.

or is it ;)

Edited by HFK

im sure anyone who even mildly collects atari knows about this auction now

The thing is... I actually have the money currently to beat Jose to this... yes, seriously. The question is... do I really want to? I'd need a new job first...! :P

if you have that extra money,then please donate it to charity...if only to shut room-34 up

:twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:

• Like 1

We're talking about a collector's item here.

A legendary and unique piece of VCS video game history.

If you're spending your whole life collecting VCS games, this piece will be the crown on your collection.

For some people that crown is worth the money.

You have to be a collector to understand this.

Again: it's a collector's item.

There aren't (and IMO should never be) any borders or restrictions for what it's worth for a collector.

8)

An items worth(monetary value) is what someone is willing to pay for it. To some, it is just plastic and cardboard. To me it is like having that "Mona Lisa" in my collection. This auction is by far out of my grasp financially, but I would definately pay alot more than the current bid for this if I had the means to do so.

The Manure salesman says:

"It aint worth shit to you! but it's Gold to Me!"

• Like 1

At the moment it's going towards the Mayhem Charity for unemployed IT idiots... until I get a new job this is what I'll be living on...

i have a friend that went to college for 5 years for some IT/Comp. type degree..............he now works at radio shack :|

The thing is... I actually have the money currently to beat Jose to this... yes, seriously. The question is... do I really want to? I'd need a new job first...! :P

How many of your "Doubloons and Farthings" does it take to make $12,500?

I am no good at converting your foreign monies into Dollars.

Wp

You know what? For $12,000 plus, a person could incorporate a company called "Men-a-vision", fabricate a mold, and legitimately sell more copies, assuming the original copyright holder doesn't surface. And if they do surface, bingo, more details about the original code.

Legal, maybe. Ethical, definitely not.

It all depends on what kind of person you want to be.