IGNORED

My Air Raid Auction Update

Tanman

Personally does the amount of money Wonder makes really matter? The man makes more than enough to live very comfortably. So whether that amount is $100,000 or $10 Million it in all intents, and purposes is all excess anyways. From the signs I get Wonder is very well off. That is all I really need to know.

Personally does the amount of money Wonder makes really matter? The man makes more than enough to live very comfortably. So whether that amount is $100,000 or $10 Million it in all intents, and purposes is all excess anyways. From the signs I get Wonder is very well off. That is all I really need to know.

I guess it matters to the guy that asked. I am curious also, but would not ask such a personal question to someone I do not know well. My income is well documented (U.S.Army retired CW3 20 years) thru many websites, so I guess I personally do not give a hoot if anyone knows how much I make.

To me it matters more what kind of person he is (kind, caring, community and family oriented, hard working) then how much money he makes.

To be honest, how he's earned it is only his accountants, his family's, and of course the IRS's buisness.

If he purchases something, he will pay and he stands behind his word. What more really needs to be publically known (unless he wants it to be or speaks it)?

I guess it matters to the guy that asked. I am curious also, but would not ask such a personal question to someone I do not know well. My income is well documented (U.S.Army retired CW3 20 years) thru many websites, so I guess I personally do not give a hoot if anyone knows how much I make.

I'll be honest with you... I think there are better ways to spend $30,000. However, if the man who bought the game plans to use it as an exhibit in an Atari 2600 museum, that would be a strong step forward in legitimizing video games as a hobby and an industry.

I found it interesting that the logo for Men-A-Vision would be their company name in front of a rainbow because that could have some "unintended" meanings.

The association of the rainbow with the gay rights movement only began in 1978 and I don't think it became very widely known outside the gay culture until much more recently, so I believe that is more of a coincidence after the fact.

Being that i heard the T-handle cartridges also have some origins in Brazil, perhaps that the entire thing was home-brewed with the proper connections to the source material. They obviously wanted a unique looking game case in order to get things started. Perhaps they knew someone in brazil or had a mail order catalog and were shipped a bunch of cheapo cases and they rebranded with their own sticker and made their own game box. It would have taken some work, but they probably had a cheap way of doing it by having the proper connections for source material and box manufacturing as mentioned.

Although there are T-handle cartridges originating in Brazil, the exact shape of the Air Raid cartridge is believed to be unique. Manufacturing a new design in injection-molded plastic requires a fairly large start-up cost (several tens of thousands of dollars for tooling to make the molds out of steel). Also, since so few of these cartridges are known today, it stands to reason that comparatively few must have ever been made in the first place. If the materials were very inexpensive as you suggest, it stands to reason that the first production run should have been fairly large, at least in the thousands. So, the "cheapo cases" theory is contradicted. Men-A-Vision's being (possibly) a newcomer to the videogame market at exactly the worst possible time and having to bear this cost without being able to make a corresponding profit was most likely financially devastating to whomever was unfortunate enough to have attempted it.

Ironically, the sale price of the ebay auction last night may have been worth more than it took those original guys to make their entire run of manufactured games at the time, if it was all home brewed.

That's highly unlikely, as stated above.

If the original people involved in the original game ever caught wind of this, they might have to search for their own original prototypes still around in their garages. Either that, or their jaw has dropped in awe by how incredibly well their game is currently doing on the open market. I think anyone involved with that "company" probably won't end up stepping forward anytime soon because of the embarrassing legal implications of being associated with this, especially if it was a rogue employee from an actual legal company who was doing some moonlighting on the side for what they thought would be some easy cash. I would think that they would be within 10 years of retirement age anyway by now, so maybe in a few more years it'll come out in the open what happened once they don't have to fear that they'll lose their current jobs.

Well, I definitely count myself among those who would like to have more answers to the mystery, but I really doubt we'll ever get them.

Take that NES! You with your "not a real game" $15,000 contest carts!

Atari VCS takes the lead! I predicted $27,000, sure I was $4,600 off, but that's only off by 14.6%. Did anyone else predict closer?

More power to him, I say. It needs to go to someone who will take excellent care of it and will share it with the rest of the community the way Wonder will. :)

I think that would be great if he did, but I think there will be some stiff competition from outside AA. I personally think this will go over $30K.

EDIT: Stiff, not stuff :roll:

I was a believer. Glad to see it sold to Wonder.

• Like 1

Looks like this auction has started to bring other Air Raid carts out of hiding.

http://sarasota.craigslist.org/vgm/1687409227.html

I'll start by saying that this is NOT my sale (Mods, feel free to delete the link if it's inappropriate).

It'll be very interesting to see how many more carts make an appearance. For some reason, I doubt we'll see another box though.

Ok, I put the Air Raid cartridge into one of those blue stand alone mailboxes you find on the corner to be mailed to Wonder. I figured the box the cartridge came in was strong enough to handle the trip so I just used some heavy opaque tape to keep the ends closed. I used self adhesive stamps so those should peel right off. And I didn't want to write the address on the box so I used one of those really big postit notes. This should conclude the transaction and thanks to everyone!

Tanner

just kidding

I had to laugh, 'cause that's exactly how my boxed "Math Grand Prix" arrived off of ebay - packing tape all around the box, and a little post-it note with my address on it.

This whole thread makes me happy for the following reasons:

1: That was one exciting auction ending!

2: We've got a whole mess of new folk poking about the site.

3: Chickybaby sums up the feel of the site thru her comments (extended family)!

Peace to all,

Andrew

Looks like this auction has started to bring other Air Raid carts out of hiding.

http://sarasota.crai...1687409227.html

I'll start by saying that this is NOT my sale (Mods, feel free to delete the link if it's inappropriate).

It'll be very interesting to see how many more carts make an appearance. For some reason, I doubt we'll see another box though.

If this was in AZ, I would be all over it, If it is not a scam. :ponder:

Ok, I put the Air Raid cartridge into one of those blue stand alone mailboxes you find on the corner to be mailed to Wonder. I figured the box the cartridge came in was strong enough to handle the trip so I just used some heavy opaque tape to keep the ends closed. I used self adhesive stamps so those should peel right off. And I didn't want to write the address on the box so I used one of those really big postit notes. This should conclude the transaction and thanks to everyone!

Tanner

just kidding

I had to laugh, 'cause that's exactly how my boxed "Math Grand Prix" arrived off of ebay - packing tape all around the box, and a little post-it note with my address on it.

This whole thread makes me happy for the following reasons:

1: That was one exciting auction ending!

2: We've got a whole mess of new folk poking about the site.

3: Chickybaby sums up the feel of the site thru her comments (extended family)!

Peace to all,

Andrew

So how many boxes did you end up using to package it?

Would it be inappropriate to ask what Wonder007 does for a living and what his annual income is? :ponder:

He may not be insanely rich. Depending on bills, he could do it making 150k to 200k per year.

I know of an Atari collector (not Wonder) who took out second mortgages to buy stuff for his Atari collection. This was a few years ago when it was easy to get a second mortgage.

Would it be inappropriate to ask what Wonder007 does for a living and what his annual income is? icon_ponder.gif

He may not be insanely rich. Depending on bills, he could do it making 150k to 200k per year.

I know of an Atari collector (not Wonder) who took out second mortgages to buy stuff for his Atari collection. This was a few years ago when it was easy to get a second mortgage.

That's stupid. Really stupid. That's stepping over the line of a fun hobby into obsession. In the end its just circuit boards and plastic and to put your house on the line for it is icon_dunce.gif

People with severe gambling addictions do things like that.

That's stupid. Really stupid. That's stepping over the line of a fun hobby into obsession. In the end its just circuit boards and plastic and to put your house on the line for it is icon_dunce.gif

No they don't. I will bet you my entire house that you can't prove it.

• Like 2

No they don't. I will bet you my entire house that you can't prove it.

You owe me a house

If they lose, they desperately even gamble more to recover their losses and to realize their dreams no matter what the cost. They even mortgage their houses or pawn their cars to get funds.

icon_razz.gif