IGNORED

My Air Raid Auction Update

Tanman

Wow, this thread has gotten new legs!

All I want to say is that several people here need to look up the definition of "ironic." :D

Enlighten me???????????

Basically, it means more than "coincidental."

http://wiki.answers.com/Q/What_are_some_examples_of_irony

Thanks for the English lesson; it can be used in many contexts..isn't that ironic ;)

Wikipedia: "In Japanese, atari is the nominalized form of ataru (verb), meaning "to hit the target" or "to receive something fortuitously". The word 'atari' is used in Japanese when a prediction comes true or when someone wins a lottery."

So finding an "Air Raid" box is very atari.

hehe.. Cool to see! That wooden box underneath it is one of the 3 boxes I shipped it in.. :)

Tanman

Yes it is.....I am using the box to transport the game for now; that was a nice touch Tanner!! :)

That reminds me of an interesting story from a local museum here in Southern California. In the late 1960s or early 1970s, The Air Museum - Planes of Fame had a visit from the prince of Siam (now Thailand). Apparently the prince was very impressed, as the museum staff were very surprised some time later to receive a large wooden crate delivered by truck, containing a disassembled Supermarine Spitfire WWII fighter aircraft, a relic of the Siamese Air Force, as a gift from the king of Siam. At that time, old airplanes didn't have anywhere near the collector value that they now have, and several people thought that the crate (made of solid teak!) was worth more than the airplane. Today that plane is restored to flying condition and worth several million dollars. The crate became a backyard deck for a member of the museum's board of directors.

Edited by A.J. Franzman

hehe.. Cool to see! That wooden box underneath it is one of the 3 boxes I shipped it in.. :)

Tanman

Yes it is.....I am using the box to transport the game for now; that was a nice touch Tanner!! :)

The wooden box was the last line of defense. Whatever horror was to befall the the item, it was up to the fortified inner core to with stand the onslaught... HAHAHA!!

And Tanner's cart has men-a-plaque.

8)

You know if a comic cover is switched out with another cover, or the inside of the comic is switched out with better pages it is looked down upon in the comic community. Yeah, it does look better, but there is some history that is lost by doing so.

To make an analogy it is like a women getting breast implants. Yeah, they definitely look awesome, but there is a tinge of sadness that they are not the original boobs. And yes, I do realize this is a crazy analogy! :D :cool:

I'd probably just keep the original boobs in a box in the closet, expecting to sell them to someone else down the road.

That's pretty cool about the plane. I read and very much enjoyed John McPhee's "Coming into the country" which was about the pine barrens in new jersey - anyway, he saw an entire dam made of teak there, since to the builders one wood was as good as another.

Edit: misspelled "Damn"

Edited by DickNixonArisen

I wanted to let everybody know that I ended keeping the cart that came with the box. In addition, after carefully inspecting both carts that I have/had, the difference in condition between both of them was not as different as I originally thought; this made my decision a lot easier.

• Like 3