IGNORED

My Air Raid Auction Update

Tanman

I'd bet who whom ever wins and however much, they will pay the highest price both now and for the future of this game. Almost certainly since the attention is going to cause others to surface, just like this one did as a result of the last big sale, the price may go down :evil: can't wait for that box full of unopened copies from Venezuela to pop up on eBay. :rolling:

AX

To anyone that can answer this, does this look like it was mass produced? Meaning that there should be more than just 12 - 20 copies to exist.

Take a look at that blue T-handle cart and tell me what you think. They certainly didn't have a mold made to make 50-100 cartridges. ;)

I have to say when I last posted and finished reading, there were 6 pages of posts. Now there is 17. See what happens when you go out for the evening? Anyway, I'm waiting to see how this pans out. I have to say I practically pissed myself reading some of the posts here. I think the ass cheek to the face takes the cake.

Phil

I'd bet who whom ever wins and however much, they will pay the highest price both now and for the future of this game. Almost certainly since the attention is going to cause others to surface, just like this one did as a result of the last big sale, the price may go down :evil: can't wait for that box full of unopened copies from Venezuela to pop up on eBay. :rolling:

AX

That would be so funny........ :ponder:

Hate to say it kids, but here is my take... Yes the box looks GOD DA**ED REAL! But, gotta be April Fools... Why? Well if you look at the auction, who doesn't post the BOX of all things if you hadn't planned on selling it? No where in his description does it say 'box included' it's assumed. No pics of box, doesn't show 'included' in text. I believe the AUCTION is real where this person really is selling their copy of AIR RAID, but that's it, just the cart. No box. So if you wanted to do an April Fools joke on us unsuspecting fools, no problem, auctions sells just the cart, buyer get's cart, seller get's money, no harm no foul. They covered themselves by NOT saying box included anywhere in the auction. Cmon, we've faked some ccol shit in our days! :) If I had NO IDEA Atariage existed, I would think I was buying ONLY the cartridge, it would be assumed you were getting the 'box' that this person speaks of in the actual auction. That all being said, you get to sell your cart in a legit auction, you can play a GODDA*M good April Fool's prank on all your fellow AA buds, 2 birds, one stone. Hell at the last moment, he could pull the entire auction and just say, 'no longer for sale' and STILL no one is out anything, other than a few blown egos. If this guy REALLY wanted, he's already edited the auction at least twice, he could have said ANYWHERE HE WANTED, BOX INCLUDED. But didn't... Why? That's my 2 cents anyhow. Would love to see it be real just like the rest of you. But for the other '12' owners of this cart, don't feel bad, I'm sure your non box owning ass will still be like everyone else when you wake up in a day or so. Later! - D

Still say Happy April Fools! :) The auction can still mysteriously end on 04/01 and no harm no foul. God I hope AL I'm wrong!

Damn! log off for 1 day and it takes you 45 minutes to read the subsequent 10 pages of posts!

Ok.

Here's my 2 cents.

Al is Tanman, Tanman is Al.

However - If it is genuine - one of two things will happen.

1. It will get overbid by jokers, or

2. Wonder will get it for a semi-reasonable price (i mean is there seriously anyone else with over $7000 to spend on an atari cart and genuinely compete against Wonder?)

:)

Edited by nofrills100

How did the purported faker get flawless artwork to use for the box when every Air Raid label I've ever seen has various degrees of dark mottling from adhesive bleedthrough? How did they blow up the image from the cart label, yet get no resulting distortion in the box image?

An enlargement like that is doable, all it takes is time. Have you seen the repro of the Activision Frostbite label that I posted a few years back? That's another one that I've never seen without glue mottling. All I did was scan and enlarge an original, and use that as the background layer to guide me to re-create a clean version of it. There are a few small mistakes in it, but you'd have to compare it to an original and study it for more than a few seconds to spot them.

What I'd like to know is, since there are so few Air Raid carts known to exist, has anyone compared Bushie's, er, Tanman's cart to photos of the previously known carts, to see if the mottling is the same?

BTW, I am also getting skeptical based on Tanman's eBay ID, "debut" on the box back, and the "707M" part number on the box side (= "LOL W"). But if it's a fake, it's a real work of art by someone who's not only an expert on things Atari, but also printing technology as it existed in the early 80s and today.

However, I also wonder what would have inspired such a prank (if it is a prank) in the first place. Maybe finding a near-pristine vintage Tuesday Morning price tag on some thrift store or garage sale item, with a price that would have been reasonable for an Atari cart at the time? Or perhaps simply finding an Air Raid cart in the wild? Or both? To set the gag up would have taken weeks or months of preparation.

What I'd like to know is, since there are so few Air Raid carts known to exist, has anyone compared Bushie's, er, Tanman's cart to photos of the previously known carts, to see if the mottling is the same?

I did.

It doesn't match with any other I've seen pictures of.

8)

Anyone else see the "M707" on the side of the box? Part number?

ooh i misstyped ... it should hava said 007 :P :D

This has to be real, because if it's not, wouldn't the ebay ad be outright fraud? I really doubt the usual pranksters would take a prank this far, as they are all upstanding types.

only if it is fake and you let the auction end.

The box insert looks alot like the ones Marc Oberhauser has but with a hunk of plastic thrown in to hold the T-handle cart right. It's a little to convienent that he lives in Austin also. Albert has a number of those box inserts from Marc so it's not a far stretch to think this is a setup.

The insert is different than the ones Marc has created.

Yes your right. I didn't notice before that this Air Raid insert has a full back also where as Marc's are fold over edges without a back. This Air Raid insert is more like a box within a box.

A little off-topic, but since there are no words on the cartridge, and no box has been found until now, how did everyone know all of these years that it was called Air Raid and was from Men-A-Vision?

An AA user by the name of Pitfall Harry had a friend who claimed to own the box to Air Raid. That was the first instance of the game having a name to go with it. Men-A-Vision is right on the screen at the bottom when you play the game. Whats kinda odd is that Space Jockey (the game Air Raid gets alot of it's code from) was released in 1982 also. Weird that they where able to disassemble Space Jockey, make a different game out of the code and release it as Air Raid all within a few months.

An AA user by the name of Pitfall Harry had a friend who claimed to own the box to Air Raid. That was the first instance of the game having a name to go with it. Men-A-Vision is right on the screen at the bottom when you play the game. Whats kinda odd is that Space Jockey (the game Air Raid gets alot of it's code from) was released in 1982 also. Weird that they where able to disassemble Space Jockey, make a different game out of the code and release it as Air Raid all within a few months.

didn't jerry g also claim to have seen it, or at least read something about it in the mid ninetees?

Even being April 1st, the fact that the auction exists finally convinces me. Yeah, a fake item could be pulled early & all that, but I don't think Al would go along with it that far.

that would be the best approach for a proper well-working hoax! :D

i would have done it ... starting at 1$ it wouldn't cost any fees ...

Edited by jahfish

Question: If you stumbled across an Air Raid cartridge in a box of old video games and posted it on AA knowing that you might have the box for it would you wait 9 days!!! From the original post March 21st to March 30th, to post that you had found the box to Air Raid. Knowing what it was worth from all the hype it caused....I personally would have stayed up 24/7 to find that box and ripped apart everything video game box I might have in a closet,attic, or some storage area...would you wait 9 days :?: ;)