IGNORED

My Air Raid Auction Update

Tanman

Can someone tell me when the ROM was first dumped? I was going through a ton of old ROM's I downloaded in the early-late (not a typo, I always say early-late) 90's. I quickly found Air Raid, with a download date of 2-27-1996. You can download it on my Men-A-Vision site.

Exactly why is that important to know?

AFAIK there's only one Air Raid .bin on the net and that's the the one you mentioned.

8)

Can someone tell me when the ROM was first dumped? I was going through a ton of old ROM's I downloaded in the early-late (not a typo, I always say early-late) 90's. I quickly found Air Raid, with a download date of 2-27-1996. You can download it on my Men-A-Vision site.

Exactly why is that important to know?

AFAIK there's only one Air Raid .bin on the net and that's the the one you mentioned.

8)

I'm just curious as to how long it's been out there. I'm actually surprised someone with dumping capabilities (ha,ha) got their hands on this rare game back in '96 (probably earlier, since I downloaded 2-27-96). Dumping wasn't as simple then as it is now.

Whoa! Now someone by the name of over at Audiokarma by the name of MeatInStereo is claiming his dad bought the game new for $1 when he was a kid! Here's the thread and here's his two posts on it. He seems legit, with 671 posts there.

AHHH!!! I had that game!!! Going to my moms house and looking for it tonight!!!!

Really only 12 of them made....My dad brought that game home from Gold Circle back when I was a kid for me after work....he paid a buck for it...

My father created, cast, made this mold. When Making a Mold it has to be tested. Dad said that 51 parts would really only be 25 and 1/2 games/carts. The one mold would run both sides of the cart. This test run is sent to the client and the mold is then sent to the injection molding people whom then make the carts. The reason why my father was never paid was not the game peoples fault but was the injection peoples. They told him that the parts were to big and the mold was returned. My fathers says his specs were never a small bit off. But the Client stated he made the cast for the part to large by about an inch. The 51 parts were not returned. I asked dad why the extra 1/2 and he said that there is always 1 extra for quality control.

Some very interesting info there! Firstly, that both sides of the cart could be made from the same casting. Knowing the asymmetry of the 2600 cartridge spec, I find this highly unlikely. 51 shots, if the mold actually produced both sides of the cart as separate parts (perhaps connected by a sprue) in one shot, should result in 51 complete cartridges, not 51 halves. Are there any photos of the interior of an Air Raid cartridge? I'm fairly sure I read somewhere here about someone opening one. Secondly, about the carts being too big, I speculate that there is a possibility for dimensional error if Mr. Moore mistook the spec'd length of the main box of the cartridge for the overall length, then adding the handle would make the cartridge too long. Interior photos of the cartridge and circuit board might support this claim, if there's a lot of extra space inside beyond the "handle" end of the circuit board.

hummm trying to remember conversations.... Cart being to long from insert to top of handle...... My father said He had the blue material in the injector from running a test run of baby formula lids so I used it up.

I had already guessed that the first "proof" shots in the new mold would have most likely been done with whatever color of plastic was on hand, for simple expediency, rather than the client's requested color. Especially if the intended color was black, a different color would be used for proofs because black makes it hard to see any flaws in the casting that might be due to problems with the mold. But you beat me to posting it.

• Like 1

Regarding the mold, I wonder about the other T-handle games. Is the format of the Air Raid case 100% identical to those?

If yes, it seems pretty odd, doesn't it? Why would the same, very different case be created twice?

Do you mean T-handles in general? Then nope, Air Raid is completely different. Compare for example the handles (cylinder shape, width, screw hole, etc...). Air Raid is an unique T-handle.

c_Hero_Tron_front.jpgc_SpiderMaze_front.jpgc_AirRaid_front.jpg

Do you mean T-handles in general? Then nope, Air Raid is completely different. Compare for example the handles (cylinder shape, width, screw hole, etc...). Air Raid is an unique T-handle.

I see. Thanks, now I can follow the ongoing speculations much better. :)

BTW: Wouldn't it be cool to get those molds and make future AA carts with them?

Edited by Thomas Jentzsch

clearly two different shells ... so there should be two different molds

Maybe I'm thinking of this wrong, but I pictured a slab of aluminum in which both halves of the case are side by side. So one injection makes both halves (which are different) and then you pop them out and snap them together.

Honestly though I don't even know what they would use for a mold. I just had it in my head that it would be a piece of aluminum.

The news story was on our local news yesterday (Ch6 Fox Milwaukee). I didn't see it, but my wife did... I asked her to describe what she saw, and it sounds like it was the same clip that played on Tanner's local station... she described the computer in front of the TV, Tanner's wife, the game rental dude and what he said, so had to be the same thing.

The news story was on our local news yesterday (Ch6 Fox Milwaukee). I didn't see it, but my wife did... I asked her to describe what she saw, and it sounds like it was the same clip that played on Tanner's local station... she described the computer in front of the TV, Tanner's wife, the game rental dude and what he said, so had to be the same thing.

Yeah, a lot of local Fox stations picked up the story. I am getting calls from everywhere.

Oh come on! Really? Sorry for what I hath brought...

eBay Auction -- Item Number: 1704737050131?ff3=2&pub=5574883395&toolid=10001&campid=5336500554&customid=&item=170473705013&mpt=[CACHEBUSTER]

Holy Cakes! Let the moron pay the listing fee. There will be no bids on that thing.

Wp

Look at the question on that auction!!!!!

"Q: Would you consider $400 shipped?

A: we'll consider"

I hope it was someone messing around with the seller! WTF, I just love the answer too... they should consider JUMPING ON a $400 offer! Heck, I'd be thrilled to death to get $50!

EDIT: I sent them a nice message letting them know the real value of what they listed. I doubt it will get a favorable reply as they're clearly nucking futz.

For the news story they went to Gamefellas right? Does Gamefellas deal with a lot of older games? I would think that Game Over would have been a better place to go as they deal with the older systems quite a bit. Especially the one with the mini-museum in it. Of course Game Over might have went out of business or Gamefellas could have bought them out.

Oh come on! Really? Sorry for what I hath brought...

eBay Auction -- Item Number: 1704737050131?ff3=2&pub=5574883395&toolid=10001&campid=5336500554&customid=&item=170473705013&mpt=[CACHEBUSTER]

Holy Cakes! Let the moron pay the listing fee. There will be no bids on that thing.

Wp

Look at the question on that auction!!!!!

"Q: Would you consider $400 shipped?

A: we'll consider"

I hope it was someone messing around with the seller! WTF, I just love the answer too... they should consider JUMPING ON a $400 offer! Heck, I'd be thrilled to death to get $50!

EDIT: I sent them a nice message letting them know the real value of what they listed. I doubt it will get a favorable reply as they're clearly nucking futz.

It is kind of funny though. I am a regular seller on Ebay, and have seen the Atari system prices go up in just the past week. Where people were listing at $15 and up before, they are now starting at $75 and up for the most part and I am seeing a lot of $100, $175, and $250s.