IGNORED

My Air Raid Auction Update

Tanman

For the news story they went to Gamefellas right? Does Gamefellas deal with a lot of older games? I would think that Game Over would have been a better place to go as they deal with the older systems quite a bit. Especially the one with the mini-museum in it. Of course Game Over might have went out of business or Gamefellas could have bought them out.

Yeah, Game Over Videogames actually has three locations in Austin now and are much more in tune with classic gaming than Gamefellas. It definitely would have been more appropriate to contact them for this piece, but Gamefellas has been around for a long time and not everyone knows about the Game Over stores.

..Al

• Like 2

One thing I have noticed is that there are several new faces showing up on AA. I wonder how much Tanman's Air Raid sale has to do with that.

Just watched the news interview. Awesome stuff! It makes me think of those times when dad would get new 2600 games for us.

• Like 1

Are there any photos of the interior of an Air Raid cartridge?

http://www.atarimania.com/game-atari-2600-vcs-air-raid_16186.html

clearly two different shells ... so there should be two different molds

Thanks, Rom! Agreed about the shell halves -- aside from the assembly and port keys, screw bosses and circuit board supports, even the tooling marks on the inside surfaces of the shell halves are different. So, it couldn't even be a single "convertible" mold that can make one side of the shell, then be reconfigured to make the other.

Maybe I'm thinking of this wrong, but I pictured a slab of aluminum in which both halves of the case are side by side. So one injection makes both halves (which are different) and then you pop them out and snap them together.

Honestly though I don't even know what they would use for a mold. I just had it in my head that it would be a piece of aluminum.

Steel is preferred because aluminum is too easily damaged. But you're probably right about both halves of the case being made simultaneously in one mold. As I wrote before, no way 51 shots would yield 25 1/2 cases, unless they did actually make completely separate molds for the two case halves. If so, it would then have to be 25 shots in one mold and 26 in the other.

Edited by A.J. Franzman

Steel is preferred because aluminum is too easily damaged. But you're probably right about both halves of the case being made simultaneously in one mold. As I wrote before, no way 51 shots would yield 25 1/2 cases, unless they did actually make completely separate molds for the two case halves. If so, it would then have to be 25 shots in one mold and 26 in the other.

I think he said one of the 51 moldings were for quality control. So possibly one of the halves was destroyed to check strength and structural integrity or some other testing.

I think he said one of the 51 moldings were for quality control. So possibly one of the halves was destroyed to check strength and structural integrity or some other testing.

Hehe, who wants to repeat that test? :D

Nah, just smash the mold all together cause I'm tellin' ya it's only gonna end up causing trouble in the long run.

EDIT: If this thing is dug out and cleaned up I can see the price of 80's baby bottles going threw the roof :rolling:

Nah, just smash the mold all together cause I'm tellin' ya it's only gonna end up causing trouble in the long run.

That really depends on who gets it, or what the original owner is gonna do with it. ;)

Come on, pink t-handle homebrew shells? I'd make the PCB that fits the shell. :lol:

• Like 2

That really depends on who gets it, or what the original owner is gonna do with it. ;)

Come on, pink t-handle homebrew shells? I'd make the PCB that fits the shell. :lol:

and i can print nice labels with golden glitter color :D :lol:

That would be awesome! :love:

A machinist being off by an entire inch seems unlikely to me. They usually deal in thousandths of inches.

I operate CNC machinery and I have been off by an inch numerous times, all you have to do is forget a decimal point. I actually just had this happen last week, I had to seperate 2 parts at half the bit for a tolerance (.13) I was in a hurry and saved the drawing at 1.3, that would have cut over an inch in to my parts!! I caught it before it was too late but sometimes I don't :D

Oh come on! Really? Sorry for what I hath brought...

eBay Auction -- Item Number: 1704737050131?ff3=2&pub=5574883395&toolid=10001&campid=5336500554&customid=&item=170473705013&mpt=[CACHEBUSTER]

Holy Cakes! Let the moron pay the listing fee. There will be no bids on that thing.

Wp

Look at the question on that auction!!!!!

"Q: Would you consider $400 shipped?

A: we'll consider"

I hope it was someone messing around with the seller! WTF, I just love the answer too... they should consider JUMPING ON a $400 offer! Heck, I'd be thrilled to death to get $50!

EDIT: I sent them a nice message letting them know the real value of what they listed. I doubt it will get a favorable reply as they're clearly nucking futz.

I sent the question asking if they would accept $400 shipped, I didn't even know you guys posted this here I just like to entertain myself by screwing with morons :D

• Like 2

I sent the question asking if they would accept $400 shipped, I didn't even know you guys posted this here I just like to entertain myself by screwing with morons :D

Ahh, yeah, that makes me happy that there wasn't really some moron asking if they would take $400 shipped. They haven't replied back to my "question", at least not yet. Unfortunately, they probably think your "offer" was legit, and are probably using that as "evidence" that what I told them it was worth is wrong. Yeah, it is fun to mess with morons.

Many people (read: morons) now think their "Atari" stuff is worth a fortune, thanks to this Air Raid. :roll:

• Like 1

One thing I have noticed is that there are several new faces showing up on AA. I wonder how much Tanman's Air Raid sale has to do with that.

Just watched the news interview. Awesome stuff! It makes me think of those times when dad would get new 2600 games for us.

Well I have been away for a few years but that auction bought me back and i'm ready to start adding to my collection again.

• Like 2

Kim Komando blurbed on the Air Raid auction this weekend. Comments like, "...some old Atari game" and "...guy sold it on eBay I think" are what drives me nuts about that woman. When she's not half-assing information she's getting it completely wrong. She did get the winning bid right, though.

I honestly can't stand her. But I must be some kind of self-loathing loser, because every once in a while some weekend morning I'll be sleeping in, wake up but don't want to get up yet, so I'll reach over and turn on the radio. If there's no game on or interesting talk I'll inevitably end up on her crapfest of a show.

Please, someone, kill me now.

-tet

• Like 2

Well I have been away for a few years but that auction bought me back and i'm ready to start adding to my collection again.

Did U get in on the Air Raid auction?

We were talking about your Ford's earlier in this thread.

Welcome back.

Wp

Kim Komando blurbed on the Air Raid auction this weekend. Comments like, "...some old Atari game" and "...guy sold it on eBay I think" are what drives me nuts about that woman. When she's not half-assing information she's getting it completely wrong. She did get the winning bid right, though.

I honestly can't stand her. But I must be some kind of self-loathing loser, because every once in a while some weekend morning I'll be sleeping in, wake up but don't want to get up yet, so I'll reach over and turn on the radio. If there's no game on or interesting talk I'll inevitably end up on her crapfest of a show.

Please, someone, kill me now.

-tet

I have been hating Kim Komando for quite a few years. I can't believe she's still on, seeing as how she knows hardly anything about computers. Glad to know she messed up the Air Raid info since I would expect nothing less from her.

Whoa! Now someone by the name of over at Audiokarma by the name of MeatInStereo is claiming his dad bought the game new for $1 when he was a kid! Here's the thread and here's his two posts on it. He seems legit, with 671 posts there.

AHHH!!! I had that game!!! Going to my moms house and looking for it tonight!!!!

Really only 12 of them made....My dad brought that game home from Gold Circle back when I was a kid for me after work....he paid a buck for it...

Well, I registered on Audiokarma and asked him some questions about the game. Did I miss anything?

http://audiokarma.org/forums/showthread.php?p=3627791#post3627791