IGNORED

My Air Raid Auction Update

Tanman

I have been fighting the T-Storms and Weedeating all day to beable to even get into the Barn. Deforestification is one of my favorite pass times. I haven't seen anything yet and I really have no clue what it is I am looking for. After talking to dad and the fact that the cart brought 31 thousand I will admit I smell money so i am trying. Also to answer a few questions the parts were shipped to a P.O. Box 1987 Corinth AR 72824. Dad found a old carbon copy log book. Cininoti sent me a PM and I am going to see about having him meet me in the Clermont county area I think that will be have way. Also the mold only cost $4500.00 not $45000.00, hummm trying to remember conversations.... Cart being to long from insert to top of handle...... My father said He had the blue material in the injector from running a test run of baby formula lids so I used it up. One more thing I still have yet to figure out how this is going to pay off for me just yet. If I do find this thing Dad could make more carts only if he could find the right mix of plastics to get the color and texture right, Which isn't easy and to sell the mold well shipping would be ungoodly expensive.

who cares about finding the right color and texture. Ill take an orange air raid repro from the original mold for all i care!! :lust:

• Like 1

I'm just curious as to how long it's been out there. I'm actually surprised someone with dumping capabilities (ha,ha) got their hands on this rare game back in '96 (probably earlier, since I downloaded 2-27-96). Dumping wasn't as simple then as it is now.

Pretty sure Kevtris dumped this, if you want to ask him.

• Like 1

Given a crappy pirate hack can sell for $30k, I'm sure Marco would be willing to part with his PGP-1 for $100k ;)

Nice now. :music:

Join the darkside!

Oh, wait! :dunce:

:lol: The reference to "crappy pirate hack" was through the eyes of the US-only elitists ;-) We here on the dark side love pirates - the more blatant the better :ahoy:

darkside? i call it paradise, and this must be the right name!

ask my friend here:

OMG.jpg

:D:D:D

• Like 1

I personally have always referred to most atari games with Iron Maiden references. For example, I never say "spitfire attack" when I could say "Aces High". "No escape" has never crossed my lips, in favor of "flight of icarus", "Congo Bongo" is clearly better off as "Murders in the Rue Morgue", "Haunted House" becomes "Fear of the dark", "2 minutes to midnight" is always a better way to say "missile command" and of course when YOU might say "Custer's Revenge", I always refer to the cartridge as "Run to the hills".

• Like 1

I personally have always referred to most atari games with Iron Maiden references. For example, I never say "spitfire attack" when I could say "Aces High". "No escape" has never crossed my lips, in favor of "flight of icarus", "Congo Bongo" is clearly better off as "Murders in the Rue Morgue", "Haunted House" becomes "Fear of the dark", "2 minutes to midnight" is always a better way to say "missile command" and of course when YOU might say "Custer's Revenge", I always refer to the cartridge as "Run to the hills".

damn .... sounds like u need some serious help! :D

• Like 1

Speechless at the awesomeness.

-Rob

• Like 1

Not sure how this has anything to do with the topic, but what would you use for Smurf, Plaque Attack, or Threshold?

Edited by ericwierson
  • Like 1

Great! I was (and still am) a big Iron Maiden fan!

I like "2 Minutes to Midnight" for "Missile Command"

How 'bout:

"Die With Your Boots On" for "Custer's Revenge" (since that's all he wears)

"Women in Uniform" for "Bachelor Party"

"Be Quick or Be Dead" for "Berserk"

"The Loneliness Of the Long Distance Runner" for "Decathlon"

"Infinite Dream" for "Air Raid"

"Hallowed Be Thy Name" for "Hangman" (of course)

I guess "Wasted Years" can apply to various cartridges for various reasons

Maybe we should start a new thread...

• Like 1

Recent Ebay sales;

Air Raid with box sells for $31K +

Air Raid in bad shape, no box, sells for $1.4k

Air Raid in good shape, still no box, sells for near $3K

Boy, those are definitely some price differences.

Mostly explained that the Air Raid box was the only one found so far, a true one of a kind item. Those ALWAYS command huge price differences.

• Like 1

wow crazy final bid cool item but damn expensive. Longest thread ever?

Not even close, IMHO. We've had some "my computer is better than your computer" battle threads, that left marks and were way longer than this one. Not everybody who jumped in, lived to tell the tale either!

Well I just bought the spare Air Raid that Wonder (Jose) had, so I got my air raid indirectly because of Tanman's find! (also picked up Atlantis II from him)

Did you buy the one he already had prior to Tanman's auction, or the one that he bought from Tanman? If the latter, then the cartridge is now separated from its original box. That just seems wrong somehow. It also ruins the story for his planned museum IMO:

"... yeah and then, well, that original cartridge that came in the box and remained with it for 25 years; I got rid of that because; well, I had another one just like it and it was shinier."

wow crazy final bid cool item but damn expensive. Longest thread ever?

Not even close, IMHO. We've had some "my computer is better than your computer" battle threads, that left marks and were way longer than this one. Not everybody who jumped in, lived to tell the tale either!

I was going to ask if this thread had the most views but then I remembered the thrift finds thread.

Edited by Atarian7

Did you buy the one he already had prior to Tanman's auction, or the one that he bought from Tanman? If the latter, then the cartridge is now separated from its original box. That just seems wrong somehow. It also ruins the story for his planned museum IMO:

The carts are not numbered.

8)

Edited by Rom Hunter
  • Like 1

And Tanner's cart has men-a-plaque.

8)

You know if a comic cover is switched out with another cover, or the inside of the comic is switched out with better pages it is looked down upon in the comic community. Yeah, it does look better, but there is some history that is lost by doing so.

To make an analogy it is like a women getting breast implants. Yeah, they definitely look awesome, but there is a tinge of sadness that they are not the original boobs. And yes, I do realize this is a crazy analogy! :D :cool:

The carts are not numbered.

That doesn't matter. Tires aren't numbered either, but I thought it was cool as hell when I read about the 1969½ A12 package 440-6 Plymouth Road Runner with less than 30K original miles that still had its original Goodyear "Redline" tires, and its original spare tire in the trunk that had never even touched the pavement. Paint isn't numbered either, but original paint is a big plus too (not just new paint of the original color).

Numbers are just a means (but not the only means) of confirming that original parts are still together. No one cares about numbers in and of themselves, it is what they establish (i.e., that the original parts are still together) that is important. In the case of this CIB Air Raid, we don't need numbers, because we have Tanman's account of the game's history. But now that the original cartridge has been separated from its original box, the appeal of the story and the item have lost something IMO.

• Like 2