IGNORED

How do you feel about Sears cartridges?

Adriana

Okay, so I'm going through my collection, trying to decide what to keep, and what to get rid of. And there are all these pesky Sears cartridges.

I mean, they're the exact same games as their Atari counterparts, and I'm trying to weed out my duplicates. Do you guys consider Sears cartridges separate from Atari cartridges, or do you think of them simply as duplicates.

In other words, should I keep them in my collection, or get rid of them? How "collectible" do you all consider Sears games?

Okay, so I'm going through my collection, trying to decide what to keep, and what to get rid of. And there are all these pesky Sears cartridges.

I mean, they're the exact same games as their Atari counterparts, and I'm trying to weed out my duplicates. Do you guys consider Sears cartridges separate from Atari cartridges, or do you think of them simply as duplicates.

In other words, should I keep them in my collection, or get rid of them? How "collectible" do you all consider Sears games?

I love 'em too! I think it's a neat little historical aspect that it was possible, in theory at least, to own the same game under two different titles. I mean, what would have happened if you had Air Sea Battle, decided you wanted more target-shooter type games, and bought Target Fun? Remember, the boxes didn't even have mock screenshots.

So, to me, Sears carts are quite collectable. If you're going to dump them, I'd LOVE first dibs! I'm still missing several, including Football, which is rated a measly 2.

I just remembered that I wrote an article about this very subject in my newsletter - I THINK it was the second issue. Check the link below if you're interested.

I love 'em too! I think it's a neat little historical aspect that it was possible, in theory at least, to own the same game under two different titles. I mean, what would have happened if you had Air Sea Battle, decided you wanted more target-shooter type games, and bought Target Fun? Rememeber, the boxes didn't even have mock screenshots.

So, to me, Sears carts are quite collectable. If you're going to dump them, I'd LOVE first dibs! I'm still missing several, including Football, which is rated a measly 2.

I think the Sears variations are pretty cool and I also collect them. I also collect all the variations within Sears, such as Picture and Text labels, and a few other oddball variations, like the two different Asteroids carts. :) If you're only interested in collecting unique games, then you'll at least want the the three Sears games that were not released by Atari: Submarine Commander, Stellar Track, and Steeplechase.

..Al

I like the Sears carts and consoles, they seem to get a bad rap as far

as collectibilty though. The pride of my 2600 consoles is a boxed, almost

unused Sears Video Arcade.

IMO, the boxes carts and consoles are cooler than their Atari counterparts

even if they are basically identical.

Do you guys consider Sears cartridges separate from Atari cartridges, or do you think of them simply as duplicates?

Mostly duplicates. I don't own many myself; I'm generally pretty apathetic towards them. One notible exception, IMHO, is "Pong Sports" simply because it has a cooler name than "Video Olympics"!

I'd say that the Sears exclusives like "Steeplechase" are, of course, pretty collectible. Otherwise, not too exciting.

I like em. When I was a kid my Grandmother worked in the candy shop at the local Sears. She would get discounts so alot of my old Atari stuff was Sears brand.

In Addition I think it is a neat historical footnote. I can not remeber any other system that was made by a store as a clone like this. Can you immagine if Macy's had a PS2 now!

If you have the money the way Tempest collects them is great

That's the beauty of Sears games. With a few exceptions they're usually pretty cheap. Most people don't like them so they want to get rid of them.

In Addition I think it is a neat historical footnote. I can not remeber any other system that was made by a store as a clone like this.

Sears also made an Intellivision clone in the same way. Tandy and Sylvania also made Intellivision clones.

Tempest

Most of them aren't too thrilling to look at, although if you get a picture label Sears cart once in a blue moon it's pretty cool. I own Sears picture versions of Pac-Man and Yars' Revenge. :D I actually have a seperate category for them in my collection, because I have almost 30 total.