IGNORED

The Homestar RPG

johnon

Just found out about it recently and had been digging up some info. It looked like it would have been an amazing feat on the 2600. Paul must have been quite the programmer to even pull off what he had gotten done.

So...no one ever picked it up? Just curious. The code behind it must be like a treasure trove of techniques for efficiency.

I would have loved to see a Homestar RPG. Would have been hilarious. :D

Then again, I was reading, and apparently, done alone, it just wasn't a feasible project.

Anyways, I was just curious as to what happened to it after Paul put it on hold. ^^

Unfortunately, nobody has picked up with the Atari 2600 Homestar RPG project where Paul left off. He officially abandoned the project some time ago. Paul did state he was going to work on a different type of Homestar game, but Paul has not mentioned anything to me in some time so I doubt anything significant has been done. You can learn more here:

http://www.atariage.com/forums/topic/87755-rpg-code-available/

..Al

It's a shame that it didn't happen. The "Strong Bad's Cool Game for Attractive People" was hilarious.

The demo binary doesn't seem available anymore. Is there anywhere I can still get the code? It would be neat to work with, I think.

It's a shame that it didn't happen. The "Strong Bad's Cool Game for Attractive People" was hilarious.

The demo binary doesn't seem available anymore. Is there anywhere I can still get the code? It would be neat to work with, I think.

There were a couple demos released:

Homestar Runner RPG Demo (2003) (Paul Slocum).bin

Homestar Runner RPG Demo #2 (2004) (Paul Slocum).bin

Homestar_runner.bin

I asked Paul for the source code about a year ago, and unfortunately he did not reply. I did not intend to complete the game however, I just wanted to see how he did a few things.

I asked Paul for the source code about a year ago, and unfortunately he did not reply. I did not intend to complete the game however, I just wanted to see how he did a few things.

Yes, I did recently, as well. Very politely, too, I might add. I just wanted to see it for learning purposes. Mainly, I've been looking into graphics and movement pretty heavily, which, to my understanding, was mostly all he had completed.

I also attempted to disassemble the demo I could find using Dis6502, but I'd be hard-pressed to say it didn't work as well as I planned. *shrugs*

EDIT: I also might add that the 32k demo doesn't work very well in comparison to the others. It's flickery, there's no music that I can hear, and the pause menu is pretty screwy.

Edited by johnon

• 4 years later...